gamestop going retro

Joined Jul 2004
1K Posts | 1+
Bmount
Gamestop sells vintage games now. I've not seen anything in any of my local stores but gamestop.com has a limited supply of NES, SNES, N64, DC, PS, and Genny carts and discs for sale. The prices are similar to what you'd find the game on eBay for (at least the few I was looking at). I probably won't be purchasing much but I'm happy to see an interest in vintage gaming on the rise.

I like some of their pricing as they are not as inflated as I have seen at times on eBay. Especially like the price I see on a refurbished NES console. Might have to bite on that. I presently use a clone system due to it being cheaper than what I could get a real one on eBay.

I am not expecting everything to look as clean as those pictures are making them out to be. :lol

A dreamcast, N64, or PS one cheaper than an NES console? ::D

Curious as to how their pricing will effect pricing on eBay. Or will it have any impact at all.

If they can keep up the inventory I'm sure eBay will adjust to be the cheaper option but because so much of what's listed on the site is unavailable I'll bet there's probably not enough inventory to keep up with demand and eBay will stay put.

I'm curious if there's going to be a resurgence in the popularity of retro gaming. More and more of the popular youtubers are starting to make reaction videos, walk thrus, lets plays, and share maintenance and repair tips. If this keeps up I'll bet there'll be an increase in pricing across the board.

I don't like it. They realized with Xenoblade chronicles that controlling the inventory is what is going to make them the most money. So they're taking ebay and mom N pop shops or of the equation as much as possible. So expect for prices to rise eventually.

If you live in a small town and GameStop is all you have then I can see the appeal but if you live in a big city, please go to the smaller independent stores. Don't let GameStop run the retro business.

I don't know about where you live but the retro stores we have make ebay and gamestop look like the dollar store. I'm all about supporting the community and buying local but they need to be at least in the ball park. I keep going back hoping the two places left in Asheville come to their senses but when they're twice as expensive as other options.

Pedro games was a big ebay seller and is/was based in Asheville and I think basically dissolved into haywood comics/games which is pretty much gone too. They (them) has successfully purchased and shipped out most of the vintage and collectable floating around the Asheville area and what's left isn't cheap. Maybe in a few years the supply will come back bringing prices to where the should be but when for instance a copy of majora's mask is 40-50 at gamestop online it's almost 100 (if you can ever find it) in my local store.

Locally, where I am, there is nothing available that offers anything in the way of retro gaming. We have a Gamestop, but they are only offering retro games on line. Or so they say.

I mostly use eBay to fulfil any retro needs. It will be good to have another source. I hope they will offer in store pick up in the future. Just to show the local store that there is local interest.

Occasionally a local pawn shop will get in some games but they look on eBay and match the price. If it is high on line, the pawn shop will be high.

I've lived in Los Angeles and now in Phoenix and the local stores were always about the same price on eBay. The amount of retro game stores is pretty high. I have one just a block away and are good people. Their prices are reasonable and I'll check eBay if it turns out they don't have what I'm looking for.

I couldn't help it, I just ordered Majora's Mask and OOT and got a tales of game for free on the buy two get one free sale. Out of guilt I went to the one local game store and they had 9000 sports games, nothing genesis (which I've really started trying to collect lately) and nes games that started at $10.00 for junk like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.

Their retro games are buy two get one free for cyber week (which is over in less than 24 hours).

If you do purchase what how the online store discounts your games. I usually have to order multiple orders so it'll discount the higher priced items. If you have more than one set of b2g1 it'll discount the cheapest in the cart, so unless you're buying games the same price splitting the orders is the way to go.

it was hard to find three I didn't have that I wanted. I was tempted to buy nba jam, nba jam te, and all the mortal kombat games but sooner or later I'll find them out in the wild for pennies so I held off. I skipped out on a lot of the psx rpgs so I lucked out and found three I didn't have, (well one I didn't have and two I traded in long ago).