Dull colors on an MVS monitor?

Joined May 2004
13K Posts | 1+
Indiana
Does anyone know the cause of this? IE the colors are not vibrant.... they are slightly dull.. and the monitor is harder to see when there are florescent (Spelling?) lights on.

Anyway, I Am curious... does anyone know the cause of this? Maybe a fix as well?

An arcade guy that fixes cabinets said he could "juice" up the monitor... but I am not sure what he meant... and that was going to cost me $60.... and to have him look it over... get the picture running back to normal..etc.

†B†V† :hat

Well...unless you just did not adjust the picture on the monitor, it sounds like it is about to die. When my computer monitor first went bad that is exactly what happened.

See, that is the problem I have with MVS, although people swear by it. AES may be more expensive, but the cost you put in to fix an MVS cab can be quite annoying.

Although, some people never have problems.

well... the arcade guy didn't say anything about it being close to dying...but if I have to replace a monitor... thats expensive. :lol

I hope thats not it!

He may just want to charge you for his service. Be very careful. The fading affect is due to a certain component going bad inside the monitor. Yes, it can be replaced, but it is usually costly. Make sure this guy lets you know his price before he ever starts work. That way, you can compare it to what a new monitor would cost.

winter said:
He may just want to charge you for his service. Be very careful. The fading affect is due to a certain component going bad inside the monitor. Yes, it can be replaced, but it is usually costly. Make sure this guy lets you know his price before he ever starts work. That way, you can compare it to what a new monitor would cost.

Its only $60.... and that includes the repair for a couple pinball machines as well.

He is going to "juice" up the monitor..... check everything over on the cab.... and adjust some of the monitor settings for me.
I won't touch the back of the monitor.... it freaks me out *I hate to admit it*

I am good with electronics, monitors..etc... but if you heard how MVS cab monitors and how they have that electrical wine *high pitched* you can just hear the electricity going through them...... I just don't like it :lol

probably he's charging 60dollars just for tuning up the monitor. Tweaking the brightness / colors with the potmeters on the backprint of the monitor. You could do this yourself easily.

If he's going to give the monitor new capacitors, it's not expensive.

I hate to say it... I am chicken to touch the back of that monitor.

I don't have a problem with most electronics... but crap... that has such a high electrical whine... I just don't like it :lol

I am hoping that the monitor can be fixed though...

Have you tried adjusting the color/brightness yourself,Dave?

Chances are,you might be paying the guy $60 to do just that :p

BIG-

BIG said:
Have you tried adjusting the color/brightness yourself,Dave?

Chances are,you might be paying the guy $60 to do just that :p

BIG-
man... I am a chicken.

That monitor is just freaky to touch. ... and its hard to diagnose without it being on.. EXCEPT I won't touch the monitor while its on, you know?

I did notice that when I let it warm up for about 30 min, the colors became more vibrant again. BUT the brightness is still not there... but with the warmup... the colors were nicer.

what are the danger factors of messing with the monitor on the back settings? IE on or off?

have any suggestions for the brightness settings? The small board with the dials didn't help much.

BV :hat

Definitely some scary stuff...

Have you tried adjusting the voltage? Sometimes that'd help.

BIG-

BIG said:
Definitely some scary stuff...

Have you tried adjusting the voltage? Sometimes that'd help.

BIG-
I have to be honest with you... I am not too sure on the arcade systems yet. Where exactly would you do that?

I have had it for over 2 years now... but I haven't had much time to work with it. I still need a new board.