HAPPY BIRTHDAY SONIC THE HEDGEHOG! 18 years old! 1991-2009!

Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
SUPER SONIC 18th BIRTHDAY BASH!

It's Sonic's birthday today. He's turning 18 and leaving the awkwardness of puberty behind to become an adult hedgehog. To celebrate this special time in every blue speed-demon's life, Sega is going to hold a bash and give away many Sonic-related gifts to all of his fans. On Tuesday, June 23 (that's today), keep your eyes glued to both @sonicgames on Twitter and Sonic on Facebook for a chance to win any one of the 15 prize packs up for grabs (see after the break for deets).

All prizes are available to win worldwide -- there's no silly regional restrictions it would seem. The Sega Blognik has the full rules on how (and when) to enter the contests, so make sure you hit that up.

Rules

Sonic the Hedgehog, oh we all remember the day you set foot in this gaming world. June 23rd, 1991. Coming at North America first, even before Japan or Europe even. Sure you could have been super popular overseas, but you blessed us North Americans with your grace first. Promoting, "BLAST PROCESSING" and "SUPER SONIC SPEED". Your first game in Japan even proudly stated, "The Most Famous Hedgehog" on the very box.

IMG_4993.jpg

Bold words, but those words still stand true to this very day.

1993.jpg

In 1993, you were one of the first video game characters to ever grace the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Not even Mario could touch that.

You impacted on how we think of games, in terms of speed in a platformer. You've been literally on any format we can think of, besides your Sega homeland. PC, Consoles, Handhelds, Cellphones, etc.

Media wise, you had your face and name placed on COUNTLESS products including
SPAGHETTI-O'S, had over 4 cartoon series, and still going strong on the hearts and lips of all children across the world who are re-discovering for what you truly stand for. An underdog mascot, but your daddy, Yuji Naka had no idea it would take him this far.

You good sir, are the reason why I want to be fast, I want to be strong, and so I say to you, Mr. Sonic the Hedgehog. Happy 18th Birthday, I know Sega being pride and true to you as their loyal mascot, even during the ups and downs.

SO LET'S DO THIS WITH SONIC SPEED!!!!! UP! OVER AND GONEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whjVucqw-wo <-- Intro to Sonic the Hedgehog Saturday Morning Cartoon circa 1993.

For the first game I ever played, and to many sleepless nights, I raise a toast to you, Sonic, the hedgehog that just can't be beat... even by Mario... though he's pretty awesome too...

Sonic was the first 16-bit game that I played. I was so wowed by that game. And I am still fascinated with it even by today's generation of gaming standards.