Ocinara or Majora's Mask

fhqwhgads said:
Yes, and a lot of the praise came from the beautiful movie style presentation thanks to the music and FMV.
That is why I said that much of that would be personal preference. I would have sacrificed to have many of the RPGs on a N64 game cart minus the music and FMV.

Fr0dus Maximus said:
only 20 tracks on the first game.

Twenty tracks is a lot of music. Just look at your average Music CD, 15 tracks and the disc is full.

retro junkie said:
Just look at your average Music CD, 15 tracks and the disc is full.
That's because they aren't compressed on CDs, no? So they take up ten times the space.

retro junkie said:
Twenty tracks is a lot of music. Just look at your average Music CD, 15 tracks and the disc is full.

Separate them between 2 discs. There are also only 4 songs that they use on both discs. Now compress the data for the songs to be put on the disc. And that should take up maybe 10MB for the songs if they do a rough job.

Have you ever ripped any game CDs? The biggest chunk that fills up a CD is music and FMV. The game info is relatively small.

edit:
I think that we have derailed this thread from its original topic long enough. It needs to get back on topic. I am not here to convince you of anything, and I am not doing that, which is quite obvious.
When it comes to CD vs. Cartage gaming, with me, the cart will always win. I will take Cart based gaming over CD any day. And I wished that there was a modern day console that still used it. I would be the first in line to purchase one and would gladly pay the price of admission.

*pulls plow out of ditch and puts it back into the field* Whew!! *wipes brow*

I think that Zelda OOT is a fantastic game. I have yet to get the Zelda MM. (and I will get it in the near future) If that game is as good as OOT, and some say it is better, then those two games are a monument to the legacy of the N64. Two of the best Action RPGs of all time. It also shows what the potential that the N64 had and what could have been done by other RPG developers out there if they had only cared.

I'm having a great time here.

party0026.gif
ELVIS HAS JUST LEFT THE BUILDING

Id get Ocorania over Majoras mask if you havent had Ocorania of time before. but if you have then get Majoras mask.

{Discussions of ROMs and emulators is not allowed. Please read the rules -Mai}

And I wished that there was a modern day console that still used it. I would be the first in line to purchase one and would gladly pay the price of admission.
*glances at the DS*
Two of the best Action RPGs of all time.
It's not really an RPG.

retro junkie said:
Sorry, the DS is classified as a portable, not a home console. There is no TV hook up. ::)
That doesn't change the fact it's a modern system with cartridges.

fhqwhgads said:
That doesn't change the fact it's a modern system with cartridges.

I want something like the Wii or a PS3 that has game carts similar to the Neo Geo game carts. But I guess that would be too retro for some.

retro junkie said:
I want something like the Wii or a PS3 that has game carts similar to the Neo Geo game carts. But I guess that would be too retro for some.

it's just that there's no use to do cartridges in a console anymore, and with the creation of blu-ray, that's far from possible now, CD's/DVD/blu-ray can hold a lot more than cartridges so they become obsolete, it's just how technology works and you just gotta accept that.

besides you can put 2 Final fantasy games in a CD and add FMV's... now that's a lot more space than a cartridge. (and gamecube discs can hold 4 zelda games but they are not RPGs)

I think what you meant to say is "the GC can hold 4 Zelda games but they don't have FMV's" because I fail to see how the genre a game has defines how much memory it uses.

Asii said:
I think what you meant to say is "the GC can hold 4 Zelda games but they don't have FMV's" because I fail to see how the genre a game has defines how much memory it uses.

no because retro means that RPGs in CDs take too much space because of the FMVs, i'm just saying that gamecube CDs can hold 4 zelda games but he already said that he meant RPGs, so i just said it as a side note

Zidart said:
it's just that there's no use to do cartridges in a console anymore, and with the creation of blu-ray, that's far from possible now, CD's/DVD/blu-ray can hold a lot more than cartridges so they become obsolete, it's just how technology works and you just gotta accept that.

besides you can put 2 Final fantasy games in a CD and add FMV's... now that's a lot more space than a cartridge. (and gamecube discs can hold 4 zelda games but they are not RPGs)
The last generation of systems that I purchased was the PS2 and the Game Cube. At this point I have no intention of moving forward to embrace the new Blu Ray technology. I am moving backwards and embracing the carts of yesterday. I have been gravitating toward the older game systems, and pulling them out of my closet, for the last few years. I find more gaming pleasure and satisfaction in those older cart based games. I have been pouring more and more of my hard earned money in those games and systems. I am hunting down and purchasing games that I have missed.
I am thinking the reason why I enjoy those games so much is because of the influence of the arcades on the older game consoles of that time period. Arcades have been fading from our culture for a long time and all that remains are mere shadows of the past in remote areas. I like that type of gaming and I loved the arcades when they were around. Gaming has evolved and taken a different path without that influence. Computer gaming, I think, has merged with the gaming type culture of the PS1 to produce the game child of today that is present in this generation of systems. And I am not sure that I like it. The Wii and the DS are really the only present systems that still has some of that old arcade feel about them.
I also like the performance of a game cart more so than a CD or DVD system. Besides I have a squeamishness when it comes to moving parts inside a gaming system. Besides, games don't need great volumes of storage space like Blu-Ray, CD, or DVD for them to be great games.

retro junkie said:
I also like the performance of a game cart more so than a CD or DVD system.
Carts are weaker in every aspect.
Besides I have a squeamishness when it comes to moving parts inside a gaming system.
If you don't move the system a lot while it's on, that's not even going to be a problem.