Why did the Wii cooled off to consumers?

Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
One theory was from this lady's reply.

NPR's Marketplace explains:

She and her husband started playing every night for at least an hour. After six months, they got tired of the workouts, so Bewley figured she'd just get a new disc for Christmas.

Bewley: But we were really disappointed because all the ones I saw are really like video games.

"Really like video games"? So you mean to tell me your Wii Fit Execrise machine can play video games, madame? Whom was tired of the "workouts", but when you tried to find something "Fun" you pretty much didn't want a video game for your Nintendo Wii? Whoever sold you the Wii idea, was a genius. Barnum & Bailey of their famous circus once said, "A sucker is born every minute." By Golly, they were right.

It's a catch 22. You cannot simply please both causal and hardcore gamer parties. Yet, this makes more sense on why the hardware sales have declined when we have this particular target audience finally speaking up on why they stopped using their Nintendo Wii's.

http://kotaku.com/5716096/why-the-wii-cooled-off

You gotta hand it to Nintendo, they really played the market this time round. They must have made a fortune off the Wii and DS by targeting that type of consumer.

I've got high hopes for the successor to the Wii. Nintendo have regained their ground after the relatively poor sales of the N64 and GC, so hopefully they will present us with a gaming beast. instead of what turned out to be the Wii.

I do love the Wii though, it does have some killer games on it.

I like some classic games that have come to the Wii...

Metroid: Other M is a take on a classic, as is New Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong is making an appearance.
Epic Mickey looks awesome as well.

The gimmicky wiimote-based control and the multitudes of peripheral controller add-on items are a major no-go for me.

Besides, what does Wii fit have that Kinect doesn't outshine?

Why the west hate Wii?

I hate how western market is treating the Wii as their shovel ware garden. I think they went waay too far especially since the good western games are very few. And if that wasn't enough they refuse to localize perfectly good games, better yet, Wii biggest/AAA titles to the west, such as Fatal Frame, Tales of Grace and Last Story, apparently for being too good to get a wii release.

Re: Why the west hate Wii?

The wii is a shovel ware garden xD
Always has been. It has good games, here and there, but there's so many cheap third party games it's not even funny.

GAMEBOY said:
I hate how western market is treating the Wii as the shovel ware garden. I think they went waay too far especially since the good western games are very few. And if that wasn't enough they refuse to localize perfectly good games, better yet, Wii biggest/AAA titles to the west, such as Fatal Frame, Tales of Grace and Last Story, apparently for being too good to get a wii release.

Because it's true. The variety is just not there, combine that with the fact that many people don't stray beyond Wii Sports, Mario Bros, and Brawl, then you're stuck with 3rd party developers who won't make it in the Wii market unless they copy those games. Games which end up being worse because Nintendo is so good at making them. Like I mentioned in another thread, it's a blessing and a curse to be this open to all types of people.

You think so? It is sad to say it but I wish they stick with copying Nintendo but that doesn't seem like it rather they just take the bad and uncopyable friendly type of games like Wii sports or Wii fit and ignore others like Super Mario, Smash bros and Sin and Punishment. I mean who need 100 fit games using and teaching you the same exact thing!? More than that since there is only one way to do an exercise-the right way- any modification would make the exercise a wasted and painful effort. What I am trying to say is that it is nearly impossible to make any verity in the type of games they are copying.

Must games I see are those aimed for limited type of people in gender, age, hobby, needs or simply need to be a fan of a certain cartoon or TV show otherwise it is nearly impossible to enjoy. Such as a cafeteria game, free flash games put in wii disk and sold for real money, learning ABC, poor cooking application, Searching games and off course awful awful cartoon to video game conversion. Not to mention maliciously outdated generic driving games! Who on earth would want to buy driving game #138 in 11 years old graphics even portables have reached it level and higher, packaged with the worst -fake- "wheel" controller ever!? Does these game really sell or is it that cheap and quick to make them?