Rumor Radar: Wii dropping to $150 on May 15th (or April 18th..)

Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
Seeing sales decline, this comes as NO surprise!

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/12/rumor-nintendo-dropping-wii-price-to-150-on-may-15th/

As predicted, the Wii is officially now $149.99

Perfect timing? More like, "HELP I'm DYING!"

http://kotaku.com/#!5798609/nintendo-president-wii-price-drop-comes-with-perfect-timing

Re: As predicted, the Wii is officially now $149.99

I really don't think that it is enough. It needs to hit $129 or that magic $99 would be extra sweet. This has been an unusual generation in gaming for the hardware to hold such high prices for such an extended amount of time. Maybe my memory is a bit off but didn't previous generations drop prices earlier in their lifespan?

The price of the console is great, but what they really need to lower is the prices of the games, especially first party.

For example, Twilight Princess was a launch game, and if I'm not mistaken it's still $50. Seriously? You know at this point Nintendo would sell more copies at a lower price. I know they are trying to make money buy making people shell out $50 for a game they know is going to sell, but IMO that's just ridiculous.

Mai Valentine said:
The price of the console is great, but what they really need to lower is the prices of the games, especially first party.

For example, Twilight Princess was a launch game, and if I'm not mistaken it's still $50. Seriously? You know at this point Nintendo would sell more copies at a lower price. I know they are trying to make money buy making people shell out $50 for a game they know is going to sell, but IMO that's just ridiculous.
I agree about the game prices. I just got my Wii a couple months ago, and I was thinking Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, yeah. But I came away with price sticker shock as they are still begging for launch pricing. Where are the "Player Choice" selections like the Game Cube had?

retro junkie said:
I really don't think that it is enough. It needs to hit $129 or that magic $99 would be extra sweet. This has been an unusual generation in gaming for the hardware to hold such high prices for such an extended amount of time. Maybe my memory is a bit off but didn't previous generations drop prices earlier in their lifespan?

i think they could put it down to $129 and then maybe have a two week special for $99 although, i think if they just moved it to $129 sales will pick up pretty well

So guess what? Nintendo's not totally derpy - they're dropping the prices on some of the games as well.

Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing, and even Wii Sports (as a stand alone game!) are now going to be $19.99.

They are calling this line of their greatest hits "Nintendo Selects."

nselect.jpg

I'm sure in due time other Wii classics, perhaps even SSBB, will also become Nintendo Selects and be sold at this price point.

and it only took Zelda TP to drop price in just a mere 5 YEARS.

Me so happy!! :D

You think they have been reading this thread? ::D

More than likely lol Best Buy and Target have a $149.99 bundle that comes with Mario Kart!

When Nintendo makes it so very easy to pirate games for their console, they probably should drop prices on a lot more games, because honestly most people I know don't bother paying for Wii games at all. Nintendo seems to have really dropped the ball in many regards regarding anti-piracy efforts.

I don't really care much for this. Wii games prices tend to drop bottom down in light speed at Amazon.com. At lest third party games does. :D

my parents have the Wii i would buy "city Folk" but im not at their house enough to play it regularly :(