The Official Wii U Thread.

Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
Nintendo's next console will debut at E3 in June, moving the maker of Mario and Zelda into the HD era. The news, first reported by Game Informer today, confirms rumors that have been swirling for months in the wake of slowing game releases from Nintendo.

Furthermore, we've heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.

We've asked Nintendo for comment and will let you know if they shock us and spill the beans. Update: Nintendo responded to our inquiry with a standard "Nintendo does not comment on rumor or speculation".

E3 kicks off on June 7, though Nintendo's E3 press conference may occur the day before, if tradition holds.

BOLD statement to say it's stronger than the PS3 or 360!

http://kotaku.com/#!5792165/new-nintendo-console-debuting-at-e3-launching-in-2012-more-powerful-than-xbox-360-and-ps3

Re: NEW Nintendo Console debuting at E3!!

That seems rather sudden. Didn't the Wii barely come out in 2006?

I wouldn't consider myself overly concerned with graphics, but it will be nice to have a system with more power.

What I'm the most concerned about, however, is their online interface. They need to have a better way of playing games online, something more similar to XBL or PSN.

Mai Valentine said:
That seems rather sudden. Didn't the Wii barely come out in 2006?

I wouldn't consider myself overly concerned with graphics, but it will be nice to have a system with more power.

What I'm the most concerned about, however, is their online interface. They need to have a better way of playing games online, something more similar to XBL or PSN.

The Wii is behind in hardware horsepower, so an HD system would make sense, even if it does seem soon.

Unfortunately, that type of logic is also what hurt Sega, too much hardware in too short of a time period.

Maybe Nintendo's accessory sales have dropped off. I would think the largest profit area on the Wii is the amount of additional peripherals needed for all the different game styles.

Nintendo consoles tend to release in a 5 year time table beginning with the SNES which was in '91. N64 was in '96 and the GC was in '01. Wii of course was in '06.

It's not early. In my opinion, it's time to move on. Sure it sold a lot but it had one of the weakest libraries I have ever seen a console have. I'm personally excited to see what Nintendo is going to bring. According to rumors it will have touch screen controllers.

When you put it that way, five years is probably right on time.

I guess it just feels like it is early because I have played the Wii so little in the past five years. Like I'm still expecting it to take off and be really amazing and awesome.

I know for some people it already is awesome, but it just didn't do it for me this gen compared to the 360.

It probably won't release until next year. So it looks like they'll be breaking that previous cycle. I personally think it can't come soon enough.

CreepinDeth said:
Nintendo consoles tend to release in a 5 year time table beginning with the SNES which was in '91. N64 was in '96 and the GC was in '01. Wii of course was in '06.

It's not early. In my opinion, it's time to move on. Sure it sold a lot but it had one of the weakest libraries I have ever seen a console have. I'm personally excited to see what Nintendo is going to bring. According to rumors it will have touch screen controllers.

I'd agree that the library seemed weak. Granted, there is downloadable content, but much of that is porting of older games.

I tend to skip generations of consoles with Nintendo. After the Super NES, I had no interest in the N64. After the GC, I had no interest in the Wii. Maybe their next console will catch my attention.

Exactly, there was a lot of older quality content but not much new, great content. It's like I'm buying an overglorified MAME box.

i kind of have to disagree with the whole weak library, because I own 20+ wii games and all of them I beat and enjoyed while I own only half of that for the PS3. So I guess it varies from person to person but for me the library of the wii was really succesful

I have more Wii games than PS3 as well, but I have more 360 games than Wii and PS3 combined. That's probably even counting all the Virtual Console games on the Wii.

I can say, however, that all the games I have for the Wii are very good games. ^_^

I have just entered the present generation of console gaming having recently acquired a Wii. Looks like it was just in time. Game prices should fall with news of Nintendo next system.
As for this next system, HD really doesn't interest me because I have an old analog TV. I know that sooner or later I will be forced to upgrade, so it might be a feature that will be appreciated later. Graphics don't catch my attention as much as gameplay does. I am satisfied with the Wii graphics. I am wondering what the price will be like? And as far as the next Wii being more powerful, isn't the 360 and PS3 five or six years old in its technology? Nintendo could still be using older technology and still be more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

I'm an arcade gamer at heart, so I love what I am playing on the Wii. Nintendo has sold me on the motion gaming. "I like to move it, move it."

Sounds great if all or most of the rumors about this are true. I only wish for one thing among others. Bring back your "Seal of Quality" Nintendo. Your current library of games for the Wii is one of the worst in gaming history.

Strubes said:
Sounds great if all or most of the rumors about this are true. I only wish for one thing among others. Bring back your "Seal of Quality" Nintendo. Your current library of games for the Wii is one of the worst in gaming history.

that's an exaggeration.... there's been far worse out there.

Zidart said:
that's an exaggeration.... there's been far worse out there.

Nope, name a console that has sold just as much as the Wii and had a worse library.

CreepinDeth said:
Nope, name a console that has sold just as much as the Wii and had a worse library.

Well first I have to ask... do you want my opinion or the general public's opinion... because i honestly think the success of a library depends from person to person... That and I quite honestly don't know what the overall worldwide opinion on which console has the worst library is (could be CD-i nokia Ngage or others)

Zidart said:
Well first I have to ask... do you want my opinion or the general public's opinion... because i honestly think the success of a library depends from person to person... That and I quite honestly don't know what the overall worldwide opinion on which console has the worst library is (could be CD-i nokia Ngage or others)

My question is pretty self explanatory and I know you already know what I mean. CD-i and NGage were not successes compared to the Wii. I'm talking overall general consensus, metacritic type games. Games that are considered 80 or above.

The success of the library depends on how many people think and like the games. So far, you're one of the few people I know that actually likes the Wii library more than any others, and I work in the video game industry.

HEY! No bashing of the NGage! My sealed copy of SONIC N will not tolerate this slander! Sure it's a watered down port of SONIC ADVANCE but it looks so adorable all sealed! ^_^ Besides, Pocket Kingdom by Sega was one sexy game that needed some love asap!

CreepinDeth said:
My question is pretty self explanatory and I know you already know what I mean. CD-i and NGage were not successes compared to the Wii. I'm talking overall general consensus, metacritic type games. Games that are considered 80 or above.

The success of the library depends on how many people think and like the games. So far, you're one of the few people I know that actually likes the Wii library more than any others, and I work in the video game industry.

that question is kind of unfair anyway because the only consoles that sold as much as the wii are the PS1/2, NDS, and the gameboys... you could argue the PS2's library is worse than the wii's because it has twice as much shovel ware but that would be delusional... if you compare the wii with gaming as a whole though there are a lot worse libraries out there.

Actually I don't like the Wii's library more than any other... however I do prefer the Wii's library over current home consoles. (and the gamecube/original XBOX) and quite honestly I could care less what the general population thinks... after all most of the games I love are viewed as masterpieces in japan but as pieces of crap over here in America...perhaps my weird taste in games comes from the fact that I am from a different culture...

I don't care what the population thinks either but it's pretty obvious the Wii is not well liked like the other two consoles. It's not unfair, as matter of fact, it's really fair. The Wii outsold every other console this gen, so it's only fair I compare it to other consoles that were successes. It's unfair to the CD-i and NGage to compare the Wii to them.

You're more than welcome to enjoy the Wii, but the lack of 3rd party support really crippled it.

CreepinDeth said:
I don't care what the population thinks either but it's pretty obvious the Wii is not well liked like the other two consoles. It's not unfair, as matter of fact, it's really fair. The Wii outsold every other console this gen, so it's only fair I compare it to other consoles that were successes. It's unfair to the CD-i and NGage to compare the Wii to them.

You're more than welcome to enjoy the Wii, but the lack of 3rd party support really crippled it.

well I'll admit that is a good point... it could have made the library better.... but I still think calling it "the worst library of all videogame history" is still an exaggeration... just because it STATISTICALLY had the worst library of the best selling consoles automatically makes it the worst library. and again metacritics usually just goes by what American reviewers (or in some cases UK/AU) say...

If we went by what japan said then the 360 would have the worst library of all time...(and quite honestly... if we name only "successful" consoles I would have to agree with them there) if we went by what venezuela said then the gamecube had the worst library of all time... is just not as consistent worldwide as one makes it up to be.