What changes would you like to see in Zelda?

Joined Jun 2004
11K Posts | 0+
Georgia
Some of the points brought up about Twilight Princess made me think of starting this topic.

http://www.egameaddiction.com/forums/index.php?topic=6187.0

http://www.egameaddiction.com/forums/index.php?topic=7308.0

http://www.egameaddiction.com/forums/index.php?topic=6830.0

http://www.egameaddiction.com/forums/index.php?topic=6624.0

Some of the most common complaints about Twilight Princess:
-too easy
-too boring
-takes too long to get into
-not enough to do
-generic story
-did nothing to raise the bar

And I'm sure there's others that I've missed.

What do you think Nintendo could do to improve the Zelda series? What would you like to see them do?

I, for one, think they might want to go more of an rpg route. I think Link should be able to level up. It occurred to me yesterday while playing that I was killing enemies for no reason other than they were in my way. There's really no reward for killing most enemies (unless they are bosses, mini-bosses, or otherwise important to the plot). In that case, why should I even bother? I can just run past them.

And I think this is part of the reason why Zelda has become too easy. The enemies in every area are the same difficulty. It doesn't scale in difficulty because Link doesn't change.

I guess I think that Zelda should adopt somewhat of an Oblivion type leveling/scaling system.

Or, if not that, change up the combat system. Maybe have Link be able to learn a bunch of sword techniques, like Sword Rain or Demon Fang (from the Tales series).

Mai Valentine said:
I, for one, think they might want to go more of an rpg route.

no way, we have way to many generic stupid rpgs on the market. theres no need to ruin zelda by making it one.

keep it actiony, but make it better. make the story different than it was in 1985, and make it focus a little less on dungeons.

The first thing: the story. Zelda never has a horrible story, but its become very generic and repetative lately. They need to change it up.

Also, I think Mai may have something in moving it in an RPGish direction. From what I here, Zelda games have began losing their challenge, and I think Oblivion like level scailing could help that a lot.

I would also love to see voice acting, provided its done well...

yeah, voice acting would be great

i like rpgs, mai, but my direction was because the zelda storyline has grown so dull (often something that makes an rpg great) it wouldnt make a good rpg, but rather a boring one.

A change in Zelda would be cool is something to spice to series.....a way to keep it original yet new.....

Well I meant rpg in the leveling, not necessarily the story line. :) Especially modeling after Oblivion, which has a very generic, bland storyline.

If they went the way of stealth toilet's suggestion and made the game about Ganon, they could even make it an action game similar to God of War and have a level up system like that one had, where the weapons themselves become better.

Mai Valentine said:
-too easy - Difficulty levels
-too boring - That's just preference, though could come from too easy
-takes too long to get into - That translates to 'Zomg, two hours and no first dungeon!?'
-not enough to do - Not enough for lazy people to do
-generic story - Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess have some pretty good stories. When's the last time you read a book about an evil moon killing hundreds?
-did nothing to raise the bar - Combat upgrade(on your side only(the side that didn't need it)), and some other stuff I'm too asleep to think of

-takes too long to get into - That translates to 'Zomg, two hours and no first dungeon!?'

I don't think it's that. The first dungeon comes along pretty early into the game.

I think it's more that they don't feed you much of the story until after the third dungeon.

Wind Waker for example, got a lot more interesting after you discovered Hyrule under water, but that wasn't until further into the game.

First dungeon coming along fast would be in OoT.

Wind Waker's Sage Temples were boring and not fun to play. The story drops after the fourth, actually. Then you're just stuck looking for the Mirror.

Wind Waker's dungeons are forgettable. Literally. I don't even remember them. All I remember from Wind Waker is key parts of the story.

At least with Twilight Princess, I know I'll remember the Arbiter's Ground temple, since the boss fight in that was awesome. :)

Mai Valentine said:
I don't think it's that. The first dungeon comes along pretty early into the game.

I think it's more that they don't feed you much of the story until after the third dungeon.

Wind Waker for example, got a lot more interesting after you discovered Hyrule under water, but that wasn't until further into the game.
You didnt even get your freaking elf clothes until four hours into the game!

And the change I want the most is what Stealth Toilet said. Make Gannon the main character.

I still have trouble with the bobber fishing. But that's just my own problem, not an issue with the game design. :lol But that's why it took me longer to get out of the town. Having to catch that stupid fish for the cat so you can get the um...slingshot.

fhqwhgads said:
There is no Gannon, it's Ganon.

Wow, you don't get your tunic? And? It's still a fun four hours.
Well, IMO, the game doesnt really start untill you get the tunic.

You're pretty much saying the game doesn't start until the first dungeon. The first wolf part is fun, the other two not as much, but still enjoyable.

Yes, they can. Why can't they? Just 'cause I think Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask are fun doesn't mean they 'can do no wrong'.

You just seem to brush off any (valid) complaint people have about the Zelda franchise, is all.