Neo Geo CD Samurai Shodown III

Joined Jan 2009
113 Posts | 0+
Red Earth
i need some help on this one. the AI is brutal and psychic. i can even tell when i press a button it has an auto-counter waiting for me no matter i do. it's rather frustrating because i'm stuck against kyoshiro and can't get past him. i even started the game over on level 1 difficulty (beginner mode!) and the computer still has some kind of unfair advantage. it blocks almost everything i try to do.

i've browsed some FAQs, but i also wanted to start some kind discussion because i would love to get further into the game and learn some deeper strategy. if anyone can help me out, i would greatly appreciate it. otherwise, i'll just keep trying i guess because it's still a very fun game. i wish i had another person to play it with! so far ive only got one controller though and friends who arent interested in these kind of classics. it's a damn shame. i like the art direction they took with SS3.

i also have a question about the "special mode" you can turn off and on in the options menu. what does "special mode" do?

thanks everyone.

Hmm... I think that is the one that did not have the character that I enjoy using. I like Jubei and got used to using him. I have yet to pick a character in the Samurai Showdown III that I like. Since I have been playing today, I will try to find one.

:lol there's got to be one character you like. i'm partial to a few of them. Haohmaru, Genjuro and Shizumaru are who i like to use most, Galford is ok too.

i know what you mean though. when they take out your favorite character, it's hard to adjust.

Presently I am leaning toward the guy with the umbrella. And I sort-of like the guy who stands with his back to his opponent, the one with the big blue pants, I think his name is Ukyo. As you can see I have a little trouble with names. :D

I usually take a liking to the one that I find that I can easily learn their moves. Once I learn their moves I become comfortable and stick with them. Last night I was tired and finally became tired of being humiliated, so I started playing Real Bout Special and regained some of my lost honor using Jin. :lol

Samurai Shodown III was my least favorite of the series, and definately feels 'cheap' sometimes in regards to the AI , in my opinion.

Stragety....button mash. Every time I get hopelessly stuck due to overreaching AI, I just hammer the buttons and end up winning eventually, so I can continute on w/ the game.

Not elegant, but easy haha

oh the AI is very cheap, yes. i'm beginning to anticipate their attacks better, but it's still hard. side-stepping works like the grab move in that it opens up an opportunity to strike. it's very useful so i'm using that to my advantage. i got past kyoshiro but my next opponent was Zankuro, which is the boss, right? well, it literally took me an hour or longer and after 50 matches i finally beat him twice, only to find out i had to do it again and i lost ::D

i turned it off after that :lol i had to take a break but i'll be back!

I will agree that Samurai III's AI can be. . .challenging.

I think that my general strategy versus the AI in Samurai III is similar to that of another SNK fighter with an even more unbearable AI. . Art of Fighting 2.

It is mostly a matter of learning what the AI tends to do, and then giving it no quarter. AI wants to be cheap? You've got to play cheaper. Zankuro used to pwn me until I discovered that beating him was a simple matter of picking a character with a decent reach (ie Ukyo), blocking his wide-arc slash, and countering with a hard slash immediately after.
Beats 'em every time.

could anyone tell me if the characters are supposed to be animated on the character select screen? i thought they were supposed to be, but they dont animate on mine. just curious, thanks.

Mine are not animated. I have no idea if they are suppose to be.

nowloading.gif

i guess it's just one of the cuts SNK made when they put it on CD then. it would have probably added to the load time, so they probably took it out. on the mvs or aes, i'm almost positive they are animated.

I'm wondering now just how much is missing in some of the CD games. Are there frames of animation missing too?

retro junkie said:
I'm wondering now just how much is missing in some of the CD games. Are there frames of animation missing too?

supposedly yes. not anything that would alter gameplay or the overall aesthetic property, but to my knowledge, there are small cuts in games with larger counts of frames or a multitude of simultaneously animated sprites (cuts were made to better optimize the load times and memory capacity of the NGCD hardware). i couldnt tell you where, what objects or what characters specifically since one would have to compare side-by-side and pay very close attention. generally speaking though, it would never be enough to care. maybe small things in the background that were once animated, arent any longer or in the case of Last Blade 2, the stage with the house fire, the flames arent animated but in the mvs/aes version they are. someone can check on that last one for me but i seem to have read that before.

edit: oh and i remember something about them shrinking the size of the characters in the Art of Fighting 3 for NGCD.

Good thread. I often see SSIII on ebay and have considered picking it up, but I hate cheap AI so I guess I'll give it a miss.

Man, I'm totally addicted to SSII at the moment. Everytime I get my NGCD out and play this game I fall more in love with it. It's a tough game for me (I'm playing on beginner - although I always play fighters on this level I usually finish them) but I love it. I like how strategic you have to be, you can't just go out and button bash. You need to anticipate you're opponants attacks and block like crazy. The music is also fantastic and totally adds to the experience. Track 9 is my favourite :)

I'm stuck on the boss Mizaku at the minute though. She's kinda cheap...I hate how you can't block that move she does where she pulls you into the group and drops you from the sky. Lame!

BTW how fecking cool is Haohmaru?! 8)

Really SSII has become my all time favorite of the series. It causes me to chuckle at their comments as i am playing. I have no idea what they are saying. I just find it comical. The animation and gameplay has me so hooked. :)