PlayStation emulator pulled from Android Market.

Status
Closed
Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
With the launch of Sony Ericsson's Android-powered "PlayStation Phone," the Xperia Play, supposedly right around the corner, Google has pulled the plug on a prominent PSOne emulator for its mobile OS. According to its author, "zodttd," PSX4Droid was removed from the Android Market without warning due to a "Content Policy violation," though he suspects it has more to do with Sony's imminent smart phone offering. "Sony's Xperia Play must be coming soon," tweeted the dev, adding that, "The timing is suspicious with no remedy."

As for alternatives to the Android Market, PSX4Droid's maker says he's a "bit worried to go to Amazon App Store" since "people who own the Market version would have to buy it again to update." Meanwhile, another PSOne emulator for Android, fpse, remains available on the Market. We've contacted Sony for its response to the app's removal and are awaiting comment.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/30/playstation-emulator-pulled-from-android-market-dev-suggests-xp/

I'm a little surprised they would be able to emulate that well on a cell phone Heck... many other home consoles cannot fully get emulation correct.. why should a cell phone be able to get it right? :

HOWEVER... I think a playstation emulator is an awesome idea... and I wouldn't mind seeing it available for as many devices as possible.

BV :hat

The psp plays them fine I'm sure the higher end phones have similar processors and memory to tech from whenever the psp first came out (yeah I'm too lazy to google to support my point). I'd bet the entry level androids would chug.

I can't seem to think of a control scheme that would feel right, or heck even work well. That'd be frustrating and I'd wind up throwing my celly just like the "wavebird Frisbees" I used to own (emphasis on not any more).

Bluevoodu said:
HOWEVER... I think a playstation emulator is an awesome idea... and I wouldn't mind seeing it available for as many devices as possible.

Just play PS1 games on your PS3 or my PS2! :p

Grindspine said:
Just play PS1 games on your PS3 or my PS2! :p
I do... :lol I just think it's cool that a mobile device can even do this well. Considering the emulator history of the last 12 years... they haven't handled games well without slowdown. It really seems like this is the 1st time in history (over the last couple years) that emulators were somewhat perfected. Opinion of course... but still...

Status
Closed