Neo Geo CD Neo Geo AC adaptor

Status
Closed
Joined Aug 2006
1K Posts | 0+
Gualeguay, Entre Rios, Argentina
Does anyone have an AC adaptor to sell? I have a neo geo cd system without an adaptor. It says "use cd-pow ac adaptor only" on the back. 29W. The unit says Item No. CD-T01. I live in the USA, so I need an adaptor that will work with american outlets.

right now, I have 2 more requests... and they are hard to get.

There is no buying/selling from the forums exept from Game Addiction. we decided against this because of fraud issues.

... if you want, I can put you on the list and try to score one for you.

†B†V† :hat

Yes, I have searched all over for them. So far I found a site selling the japanese adaptor for 55 dollars. Im not sure if it will work in the USA though. I would appreciate being put on the waiting list. If it comes down to it I may have to build my own adaptor... (lots of work)

Edit: Finally bought a brand new japanese adaptor.

I just hope the CD unit itself still works.....

yeah... $55 is not an uncommon price now.

Well... let us know if your CD works :)

BV :hat

OK, new problem :mad:

The power supply works, system powers on, and nifty golden Neo Geo logo shows up. Im then thrown into the CD Player screen and the motor on the cd drive does not spin. The laser will move and detect if there is a disk or not, but no cd spinning. I took it apart and tested the motors with a DC battery. I can get both motors to move. The cd motor will spin as long as the laser is not butted up against the "brake". Of corse when i close the case up and power it on the cd still does not spin. So, question is where to get a replacement drive assembly. The one from my sega cd looks an aful lot like the neo geo drive... i could open it up and see if they have compatible connectors. Anyone got ideas?

rossdh said:
OK, new problem  :mad:

The power supply works, system powers on, and nifty golden Neo Geo logo shows up. Im then thrown into the CD Player screen and the motor on the cd drive does not spin. The laser will move and detect if there is a disk or not, but no cd spinning. I took it apart and tested the motors with a DC battery. I can get both motors to move. The cd motor will spin as long as the laser is not butted up against the "brake". Of corse when i close the case up and power it on the cd still does not spin. So, question is where to get a replacement drive assembly. The one from my sega cd looks an aful lot like the neo geo drive... i could open it up and see if they have compatible connectors. Anyone got ideas?
The replacement  assemblies are almost impossible to find anymore.  They did have some... but I haven't seen any in A LOOONNGG time.

Try taking it to an Electronic repair shop and see if there is an assembly they can do...   That is probably your best best.  Someone here took theirs to a repair shop... but I never did find out if it worked for them.

Sorry for the grim news on that.

BV :hat

OMG, I just fixed it! I took the cd assembly apart and found that the plastic the cd sits on was pushed down against the laser plastic. This kept the motor from spinning. I just pushed it back up and now it spins and loads the games! Time for some samurai shodown! I hope others can learn from this problem.

EDIT: I built a custom arcade controller for this system. It is made from real arcade buttons and what not. Ill post a picture later.

rossdh said:
OMG, I just fixed it! I took the cd assembly apart and found that the plastic the cd sits on was pushed down against the laser plastic. This kept the motor from spinning. I just pushed it back up and now it spins and loads the games! Time for some samurai shodown! I hope others can learn from this problem.

EDIT: I built a custom arcade controller for this system. It is made from real arcade buttons and what not. Ill post a picture later.

Hey... would you like to create a "tech doc" from what you did? IE ... maybe for other users to try what you did?

ALSO... I am surprised the motor isn't burned out from that. That is pretty cool.

Please do post a pic of your controller :) make a new topic when you do. I'd like to see it.

Bv :hat

That is really great! I have a question, out of all the CD systems, what ones do you see malfunction the most, the original version, top-loader, or cdz, and is it usually JPN or American?

lesley said:
That is really great! I have a question, out of all the CD systems, what ones do you see malfunction the most, the original version, top-loader, or cdz, and is it usually JPN or American?
I haven't seen a faulty CDZ.   I saw a front loader with problems once... and 3-5 Top loader systems that didn't work.

BUT that probably also corresponds to rarity :) The front loader and CDZ are harder to find that the top loader (of course).

So you do think it is because you do not see as many CDZ's or front loaders? With the front loaders...has anyone ever got a cd stuck in the drive...eek?!

lesley said:
So you do think it is because you do not see as many CDZ's or front loaders? With the front loaders...has anyone ever got a cd stuck in the drive...eek?!
not that I've heard of.... and I thought the CDZ run was a little more than the front loader run... but I could be wrong... They both had short runs compared to the top loader.

I think the front loader was limited to 25k units. I dont know about the CDZ.... possibly more?

I picked up an ac adapter off a guy on ebay. He was selling them for $15 usd! I don't think it's against any rules, but his ebay seller name is japan-games. I emailed him and a few weeks later he was selling them.

AS of this post, he is still selling them with BIN.

weaponepsilon said:
I picked up an ac adapter off a guy on ebay. He was selling them for $15 usd! I don't think it's against any rules, but his ebay seller name is japan-games. I emailed him and a few weeks later he was selling them.

AS of this post, he is still selling them with BIN.
That's an insanely good price.

Either prices have dropped that much, people aren't buying, or something odd is up there :)

I don't know, but the one I got was great. The guy gets them out in Japan somehow (where they are cheap) and sells them here. The sad thing is before I talked to this guy, I almost paid $60 for a different one, but stayed me hand. Good thing I did.

weaponepsilon said:
I don't know, but the one I got was great. The guy gets them out in Japan somehow (where they are cheap) and sells them here. The sad thing is before I talked to this guy, I almost paid $60 for a different one, but stayed me hand. Good thing I did.
I have many contacts in Japan... and they aren't THAT cheap there.

Some people get lucky...

Some things are cheap, and some aren't. You can get good deals there, but some things just aren't that cheap any more.

3 years ago, I would have agreed more :) Prices are starting to level out there because they know people are taking their goods to Ebay.

plus Ebay has pretty much screwed itself with higher fees and many merchants I know have gone out of business because EVERYONE started selling their items on Ebay.

I will admit, I really dug Ebay from 2001-2004... by the time 2005-2006 rolled around, it was so flooded that I quit selling on there EXCEPT for a few different items.

I've always sold the neo CD AC adapters for roughly $25-35. but $15 IS VERY cheap. I've never been able to acquire them that cheap EXCEPT one time I was lucky and one came with a larger bundle I bought. But even in other larger bundles, they weren't that cheap.

Status
Closed