Jumper Pak - nintendo 64 systems

Joined May 2004
13K Posts | 1+
Indiana
Why is this needed in the N64?

What does it do when the ram is not in the jumper slot, but the jumper pak is?

Does it even serve a purpose?

I do know the systems don't work without them though....

BV :hat

From what I can tell it basically is the RAM. Just like RAM on a computer. It doesnt make the system more powerful, it just allows more data to get to the processor.

Jumper Pak= Primary RAM that was included with N64 (4MB)

Expansion Pak= Updated RAM later released for N64 (8MB) Which was used for only a certain handful of games

Why is it needed? It's the RAM pretty much, N64 won't go without it

MegaDrive20XX said:
Jumper Pak= Primary RAM that was included with N64 (4MB)

Expansion Pak= Updated RAM later released for N64 (8MB) Which was used for only a certain handful of games

Why is it needed? It's the RAM pretty much, N64 won't go without it
I knew what the ram is... I meant the Jumper.... thanks for the info :)

I guess I didn't realize it already had ram in there.  Too bad they couldn't have had 16 or 32 ram.. I Wonder what they could have done then :)

and spartan, I wouldn't say its the best, but its cool :)

True, if there MB was increased, you would have seen smoother gameplay. (Yet the original games may/maynot be effected)

Hmm, I'm wondering if someone who knows their crap could make larger Expansion Paks and see what they could do....

Elament said:
There wasn't tomany games out that required the expansion pak
not that required... but if I am right... there were a bunch that used it.
... they had features that were not accessible unless you had the 4 mb expansion ram.

But we are talking jumper pak here... not expansion :)

only three games needed the Expansion Pak, Donkey Kong, Majora's Mask, and Perfect Dark

That little knowledge can get you far if you choose any used video game retail store in America lol Since each one (Game Rush, GameCrazy, EB Games, GameStop) will ask you that

ok... but which games needed it to access certain features... not necessarily just "play" that game?

Perfect dark, you can play a bit without the expansion.

There are many other games that used the expansion (Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, Turok 2, Turok Rage wars (I forget if this is 3 or if its in addition to 3), and MANY sports games used it as well.

A good deal of games took advantage of the 4mb expansion.

†B†V† :hat

Now that's a list that is too big...I know Earthworm Jim 3D, Resident Evil 2, All the Star Wars games (except Shadows of the Empire)...

Yet to tell you which needed it to unlock a feature of a game.....that's gonna take a while