Joined Jul 2006
58 Posts | 0+
Elkhart, IN
Opinions on this game?

I rented this one time and I remember it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I was expecting more of an action oriented FPS, but it's more like a first person adventure game. I got stuck rather early on in the game and then had to take it back, so I never really got into the guts of the game. Is it really even worth hunting it down? It did seem like it had some potential.

I have ALWAYS been interested in playing it..... Oddly enough I never have...

I am curious too.. who has played this? Any good?

BV :hat

Not sure how I missed this as Shadowgate 64 is one of my favorite 64 games. I thought it was a great game with one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard. It plays out mostly like the Shadowgate on NES, except this one is a bit more logical and the puzzles actually make sense now. There was actually supposed to be a sequel for it on 64 but it never happened. If you played the original Shadowgate on NES and liked it, then definitely pick this up since it is uber cheap now.

It's a weird update because it is Shadowgate, but it felt like a different kind of game to me. Never really got into it like the first one.

I actually like this game quite a bit-- it does suffer in comparison to the NES original I believe simply because of the lack of freedom and humor that one had (hilarious deaths, suicides, ect.). The soundtrack is quite good; the "church" theme is extremely haunting and beautiful, in particular. Some of the puzzles were a bit much... I remember one tiny hidden key behind a pillar on a floor that drove me nuts. GREAT story-- there are tons of books you can pick up and read and it really fleshes out the world.

I remember there was to be a "Shadowgate Rising" game, but it got scrapped. If you searched online you could probably still find the comic they did to go along with it. Unfortunately, as promising as it looked they were also creating about the worst "Mary Sue" type character I'd ever seen as the heroine.

Paka said:
I actually like this game quite a bit-- it does suffer in comparison to the NES original I believe simply because of the lack of freedom and humor that one had (hilarious deaths, suicides, ect.). The soundtrack is quite good; the "church" theme is extremely haunting and beautiful, in particular. Some of the puzzles were a bit much... I remember one tiny hidden key behind a pillar on a floor that drove me nuts. GREAT story-- there are tons of books you can pick up and read and it really fleshes out the world.

I remember there was to be a "Shadowgate Rising" game, but it got scrapped. If you searched online you could probably still find the comic they did to go along with it. Unfortunately, as promising as it looked they were also creating about the worst "Mary Sue" type character I'd ever seen as the heroine.

The soundtrack is so amazing, isn't it!? Like nothing I ever heard. I love all the tracks, but in particular, the opening theme when you start a new game and he is riding on the wagon, the church theme you mentioned, and one of the "city" themes {I think it's around the area of the stable}. I also agree about the puzzles lol...I loved how you could find items that never even had a use in the game, just to make it more confusing! I actually have a current game going and I just shrunk myself and made it out of the castle. By the way, did you ever find a use for the "blank books"? I never could figure out the use of those...

Paka said:

I loved Shadowgate for the NES, never got to play SG64 though. I spent my time playing Shadowgate and there was another game much like shadowgate on the NES I used to love to play... Uninvited, I think was the name of it. There's so many ways to die on Shadowgate, my friend once tried to take screenshots of every death possible, and got over 400- and that wasn't near all of them. I heard once that every room has 50 ways to die, dont know how true it is though.

Yep, Uninvited was another good one! :) That game actually creeped me out when I was younger-- the skeleton ghost lady, the zombies, the red skull that randomly appeared when you took that ruby, ect. I'm surprised Shadowgate and Uninvited got away with what they did given Nintendo's censorship at the time. Another similar one is Deja Vu; if you still have a way to play GBC games you can find Deja Vu I & II on one cart; it is definitely worth getting. The quotes are as funny as Shadowgate's with the deaths and stuff (though not as many ways to die).

Favorite Shadowgate quote- "You thrust sword into your chest. Blood begins to flow. Suicide won't help in your quest!! The Warlock Lord will surely triumph now!"
Deja Vu 2- "For no other reason than you can, you blow the poor slob away..." (killing random person; you get the death penalty) Deja Vu I also has a hilarious quote when you kill yourself with your gun.

For the blank books in Shadowgate 64, I think it was the ring of the dead that let you read them? That game had a few tear-jerking moments too; the little ghost girl who drowned and wouldn't go home because she lost her shoes was just so sad. :(