NeoGeo questions

Joined Jun 2005
7K Posts | 0+
Louisburg, NC, USA
Untill I came to this forum, I had never heard of the NeoGeo system. And today I poked around Ebay to see what they looked like. Why are these things so expensive?? Did they mainly release them in Japan, being that I saw more imports than anything? When were they produced?? And if I ever buy one, are the games easy to find?? Or will I have the same trouble I have with my Sega Master System?? I really like those Neo Geo Pockets, but I have never seen one. And is this system worth it to hunt one down??

Dart said:
Untill I came to this forum, I had never heard of the NeoGeo system. And today I poked around Ebay to see what they looked like. Why are these things so expensive?? Did they mainly release them in Japan, being that I saw more imports than anything? When were they produced?? And if I ever buy one, are the games easy to find?? Or will I have the same trouble I have with my Sega Master System?? I really like those Neo Geo Pockets, but I have never seen one. And is this system worth it to hunt one down??
I believe they are expensive because when they came out in the ealry 90s they were very advance for that time,and they cost quite a bundle,I believe in the range of $700.
They were released in both Japan and the US.Games.Games are not very hard to find but many of the newer ones go for $200-300 and older ones,and rarer ones go for $XXXX.Neo Geo Pockets are About $50 New or used.ZThey can be found at some EB games and online retailers such lik-sang.com.

Hope that helps.

Edit: egameaddiction sells them along with 6 games:
http://www.egameaddiction.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_69&products_id=182
Only $60 :)

Dart said:
Untill I came to this forum, I had never heard of the NeoGeo system.  And today I poked around Ebay to see what they looked like. Why are these things so expensive?? Did they mainly release them in Japan, being that I saw more imports than anything? When were they produced?? And if I ever buy one, are the games easy to find?? Or will I have the same trouble I have with my Sega Master System?? I really like those Neo Geo Pockets, but I have never seen one. And is this system worth it to hunt one down??

www.neo-geo.com contains a plethora of information surrounding the most powerful of the 16-bit consoles.

The Neo-Geo AES console is roughly the same length and width as an X-Box... although it is about 2/3s as deep. The system accepts carts that are slightly larger than a PSOne (the slim re-released model). The home carts (AES) and arcade carts (MVS) are virtually identical, except for the size of the pin-out contacts (MVS are slightly longer).

Oh okay cool. So I guess it wouldn't be worth it for me then. I have a hard enough time with My Master System on getting games. I bought every single game from a local used book store chain. They have four huge locations. I have about 13 games now.
I am very interested in the Pocket one. But if the games on the AES platform are $200 a pop, I'll look elsewhere. But thanks for the info!!

well.. you also have the Neo Geo CD... which the games are a lot cheaper. IE look at my store:
http://www.egameaddiction.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_8
Browse through some of the prices on the neo cd... its cheap. Its the same thing as the aes, BUT there are load times. Some are long, yes... and you cannot get some of the "newer" games on it.

the NGPC is pretty cheap as well if you get the cart only games.

BV :hat

Kishin said:
Edit: egameaddiction sells them along with 6 games:
http://www.egameaddiction.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_69&products_id=182
Only $60 :)

Actually... we just lowered the price $8.... :)

There are some new NGPC hitting our store soon... it will be pretty cool.

BV :hat

Yanno I never even thought of the CD version. Load times don't bother me. I had some PSX games that had long load times, and don't forget I am using Windows. And I am married. I am used to waiting. :D
I'll check them out. I have been eyeballing that NEO Pocket that you have, BV. I hope you still have it in September, when I have some gaming money to spend.

Dart said:
Yanno I never even thought of the CD version. Load times don't bother me. I had some PSX games that had long load times, and don't forget I am using Windows. And I am married. I am used to waiting.  :D
I'll check them out. I have been eyeballing that NEO Pocket that you have, BV. I hope you still have it in September, when I have some gaming money to spend.
:lol

yeah... I still have 1 or 2 left... I am almost out of the retail boxed versions.

Soon... I Will be getting the blister packed versions in... no retail box with them :(
But the supplier is all out of boxes. They were just taking them out of the boxes and throwing them away.. then blistering them up.
bummer... they should have blistered them up in the original retail boxes as well :-\

Bv :hat

Save me the boxed one!! What do you need to reserve it?? My truck title?? A pint of blood?? The secret ingredients to Busch's Baked Beans?? I am really interested in it!! I'll have my game money in the first week of September.
I hate when wives put hobby spending limits on their husbands... :'(

Dart said:
Save me the boxed one!! What do you need to reserve it?? My truck title?? A pint of blood?? The secret ingredients to Busch's Baked Beans?? I am really interested in it!! I'll have my game money in the first week of September.
I hate when wives put hobby spending limits on their husbands... :'(

You have to give me your car. 8)

Hm. A gas guzzlin' tire shreading cop attracting chick-magnet for a Neo Geo Pocket??
I'll have to think about that one!! :lol

The NEO GEO is a thing of beauty and because of this, there is a premium price to pay. You can go the CD route as an alternative. The AES carts are so much because they still use Silicon and eprom chips as opposed to Silicon for CD making. Also, the sheer size of the carts and meg counts attribute to the cost. You are also getting arcade perfect games. These are not ports, but the real thing! Accept no substitutes!

GAMEFAN