Edge 2008 VGA Awards

Joined Feb 2005
7K Posts | 0+
Michigan
Kotaku - http://kotaku.com/5110864/edges-goty-awards-surprise-ok-not-really said:
Best game:
1. LittleBigPlanet
2. GTA IV
3. Fable II

Best Innovation:
1. LittleBigPlanet
2. NXE
3. Left 4 Dead

Best Visual Design:
1. LittleBigPlanet
2. Street Fighter IV
3. Far Cry 2

Best Audio Design:
1. Dead Space
2. GTA IV
3. No More Heroes

Best hardware:
1. Xbox 360
2. PS3
3. Wii

Best Publisher:
1. Microsoft Game Studios
2. Electronic Arts
3. Sony Computer Entertainment

Best Online Experience:
1. Left 4 Dead
2. LittleBigPlanet
3. Gears of War 2

Best Developer:
1. Media Molecule
2. Criterion Games
3. Rockstar North

They like LBP eh?

Yea, LBP is one of the very few from Edge to get 10/10.

But, I don't see how NXE was innovative? "Hey let's put a Vista setup on another one of our things why don't we."

The smallest staff for video games is reaping the biggest rewards this year and with steady sales of LBP they will be bringing in money for quite a long time to get. Congrats media molecule

I'd have to agree with most of those. I wouldn't have rated LBP that high that many times, but overall I understand where they're coming from.

"Best Innovation" runner up was NXE. What the crap!? Do you know how much I had to go through to get FFXI to even RUN again after that!? I had to buy a disk I didn't need the game data from, so I could even load POL. I spent $30 for a disk with content I already own because NXE couldn't load POL from either of the two disks I already had.

I think Edge just appreciates Microsoft's ability to "reinvent" the image of their console halfway through its lifespan. In that respect Microsoft is doing something that has never really been done in the games industry before. Whether or not it actually works is something to consider, but if it worked for the people at Edge then they can't personally fault it if other people are having trouble getting it working.

Edge is also a British gaming magazine if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure they have different tastes, as every one does.

Mai Valentine said:
Edge is also a British gaming magazine if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure they have different tastes, as every one does.

Not only are they British, but they are supposed to represent "high-class" gamers, if you will. Like the Esquire of gaming magazines.

Games should be universal, we didnt make any specifications or give up liberties when games were from studios in Englad, France (ie some Ubisoft, right), and Canada. So even if Edge is British, they still represent the same taste as everyone else essentially would, we all play the same games.

Edge is nice as well as Play magazine though :)

Play used to be a lot better than it is now, IMO. I don't like the review system that they use now.