Looking for an AES system

Joined Jan 2009
49 Posts | 0+
I am looking to purchase an AES system, either Core or w/ games. I know I can find it @ Play-Asia, but Id perfer not to pay the premium on shipping that I just did for my Neo Geo CD system.

As long as the hardware is in full working order (and cosmetically I would like as flawless as I can get, but I am flexible) and has the power adapter, I am interested. Basically...if you have a working system w/ hookups, email me @ [email protected] and we can talk

Serious buyer. If the price is right and the equipment is good, I am always interested!

It is simply not worth it these days to purchase an AES with all the other options out there. I speak from pure experience. The best route to go, unless you are simply a masochist and want to spend money when you don't have to, is to get a consolized MVS. You'll be able to get one cheaper than an AES, it will be more flexible, usually have the UniBios installed already, will have better connection options than an AES, and the games are 90% cheaper on average. However I do realize some people like to spend money for no real reason, or prefer the aesthetics of the AES cartridge packaging (which realistically can be recreated for the MVS carts as well), but I have owned every Neo-Geo system there is...multiple times..and I can assure you MVS is the route to go.

the cost is substantial, but i guess whenever i get an AES it will be for a few reasons. home carts have extra options and content, the aesthetics and uniformity of the carts themselves and the offical casing and instructions. the only problems are the cost and the fact an unmodded AES only has composite video and monaural sound options. stereo sound can be achieved by using the headphone jack but that's usually less than ideal.

Grandmaster said:
home carts have extra options and content

Very rarely, but even if they do, you can access an MVS cart just like a home cart with the UniBios. It allows you to choose between AES or MVS when turning the system on. Both MVS and AES carts are exactly the same and contain the same programming on each cart. Truthfully MVS carts have more options because you can use dipswitches to change a myriad of different options for each game by accessing the MVS menu.

I did end up picking up an AES system which should be here later this week.

Modded w/ AV & S-Video out, unibios installed, for a really good price. Also ordered (here thursday) KOF 2002 as well.

The reason I didnt go w/ an MVS is that my collection is purely based on what I want to play. On the Neo Geo, the amount of games I wanted led me to go w/ an AES, since most of what I really wanted came on / I own for the NGCD. So for me, I did go a bit towards presentation as a factor. I wanted to gather up the newer fighters for Neo Geo (KOF 2000-2003) so I went the way of the AES

Also, I dont ever think my gf would allow me to have a consolized MVS just hanging out in the living room. She lets me have all my systems out in the open, but an MVS might be a hard sell!

To give an example. I own a 3DO and just one game - Killing Time (id own more, but I havent tracked them down in the condition I want) because I grew up playing it, and still to this day go from beginning to end occasionally.

Up next...a Jaguar , and just for AVP

Sure I end up w/ more games, but since I "collect" only so that I can experience everything I wanted when I was 13-14 and couldnt afford , I go w/ the best versions I can get.

Really, my collection is just comprised of things I wanted and never had growing up. My parents were still awesome on getting me consoles, but I had to pick one per generation, and even then I knew a Jaguar wasnt what I wanted haha