Pissed-Off Parents Find Math Game Too Violent for School

Joined Feb 2005
7K Posts | 0+
Michigan
Pissed-Off Parents Find Math Game Too Violent for School
An action-packed math game students enjoy playing is a little too fun for some parents of the Albuquerque schools, one of whom went as far as accusing it of fostering video games addiction.

KOAT-TV of Albuquerque ran a piece earlier about DimensionM, an edutainment game produced by Tabula Digital, which promises "all the action and adventure of commercial-quality video games while practicing and reinforcing the skills they need to succeed in math." The game's use in local schools is fully funded by a Department of Defense grant. So, free game, kids are happy, schools are happy, everyone's happy, right?

"We are feeding the addiction of these children to video games," said Marlene Perrotte (pictured; no relation) to KOAT. "They were all excited, and they were excited because of the violence -'I'm getting ahead, I'm getting ahead, I'm getting ahead.'"

You bet they are - in test scores, say school officials. One middle school educator likened it to "a 21st century flash card. ... They can use jetpacks and at the same time they have to know what the associative property is."

Not good enough for Marlene. "What they recall is not the prime number ... but rather getting through to the enemy," she said.

Jesus Christ, lady. You know how hard it is to develop an educational game kids actually want to play? Or do you just want learning to be as painful for them as it was in your unhappy childhood?

Lawl. :lol

Edit: forgot the link... didn't get any sleep last night. http://kotaku.com/5557752/pissed+off-parents-find-math-game-too-violent-for-school

I wonder if there is even any violence in the game you know I wouldn't be surprised if this women has no clue about the games content and figured well the kids don't hate it so it most be filled with violence and gore.

Also another fine educational game below. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJhlxsL14Ck

Wonder if the parents did any investigative work before flying off the handle...

Jesus Christ, lady. You know how hard it is to develop an educational game kids actually want to play? Or do you just want learning to be as painful for them as it was in your unhappy childhood?

Exactly. Although there are a few around ("Where is Carmen Sandiago" is one that comes to mind), this is very very difficult to do. This lady needs to chill out.

Well acouple of points first off the game is getting the job done if it's helping to improve test scores so the woman's claim that it's more entertainment then learning is a baseless accusation.
Secondly math video games to help with education in school was new and revolutionary back when I was in grade school back in the 1980's how backwards technologicaly is this school are they just getting Apple II as well.

This world is going straight to Hell.As long as these students are learning,this method is successful.These days,you're lucky just to get the darn students to attend classes! Mom and dad need to be more objective,and more open minded.We are not living in the 50's anymore,for God's sake. :mad:

Godspeed.
Kaz

MR.KAZ said:
This world is going straight to Hell.As long as these students are learning,this method is successful.These days,you're lucky just to get the darn students to attend classes! Mom and dad need to be more objective,and more open minded.We are not living in the 50's anymore,for God's sake. :mad:

Godspeed.
Kaz

Well I wouldn't go that far but it seems very improbable that in a day and age where selling an M-rated game to someone under 18 is a felony in some states that an educational game is going to content that's above T rating even if it's intended for high school students.