Nintendo Power becomes gaming history?

Joined Feb 2007
2K Posts | 0+
Kentucky, US
Any one else here sadden by the ceasing production of the Nintendo Power magazine? I use to depend heavily on gaming magazines for all my gaming rumors, news, and info. I just could not wait for those packed mags. And then I would spend hours just pouring over them, and rereading the information. I would save them and go back through the old mags just to review. It was a part of the gaming experience of the 80's and 90's. I used to have a subscription to Nintendo Power and I understand that technology changes things so rapidly. But the Nintendo Power has hung in there until now. I cannot help but be a little sadden. I like holding those paper tangibles. I still have a few issues.

This magazine will remain in my gaming memories. :'(

I just wished they could have done something electronic on-line. The last one will be the December 2012 issue.

Yeah when I was younger this magazine was absolutely essential for some games and it was just a joy overall to read about upcoming games. But with the arrival of the internet this is no longer a viable means of getting information around. It's a shame that something as great as the internet is killing off all these things that were so important to me as a young boy. R.I.P. Nintendo Power. You will be greatly missed!!

What? No. They are not allowed to stop! I currently can't afford a subscription but it is so classic, its like art... I will admit that Game Informer feels more in depth and fuller and covers other systems so I did have a subscription to that, but my husband has a big collection of old Nintendo Power, and I still buy special issue things.

Does anyone know when these typically hit shelves? Its pretty obvious I wont be able to get a subscription but i'd love to pick up the last couple of issues, especially the last one.

That's terrible. I literally have a hundred old Nintendo Power issues. I used to love getting them as a kid and just reading through them over and over again, sucking every bit of gaming news I could out of them. I guess I get why they're stopping production, but Nintendo Power meant a lot to me as a kid and I can't believe it's really over.

One summer, I would flip through one issue of Nintendo Power I had that showed pictures from Mario Tennis 64. I would read it by the light of a snake lamp I had that, when turned on for a long enough time, would emit a kind of burnt plastic smell. It's a smell I occasionally still notice once in awhile in random places when the same type of light is turned on nearby, and it always reminds me of that one summer when I would lie in bed and imagine how much fun that game was going to be.

I wish everyone could have an experience like that. There certainly was something to say about cherishing something like that instead of disposing of it every 24 hours for the latest news and info. But I guess the idea of lamenting the experience of video games is itself something that would be totally alien to generations before me. Such is the way of things.

On a sidenote, if Nintendo Power can't survive in the magazine business these days, what can?

stealth toilet said:
One summer, I would flip through one issue of Nintendo Power I had that showed pictures from Mario Tennis 64. I would read it by the light of a snake lamp I had that, when turned on for a long enough time, would emit a kind of burnt plastic smell. It's a smell I occasionally still notice once in awhile in random places when the same type of light is turned on nearby, and it always reminds me of that one summer when I would lie in bed and imagine how much fun that game was going to be.

I wish everyone could have an experience like that. There certainly was something to say about cherishing something like that instead of disposing of it every 24 hours for the latest news and info. But I guess the idea of lamenting the experience of video games is itself something that would be totally alien to generations before me. Such is the way of things.

On a sidenote, if Nintendo Power can't survive in the magazine business these days, what can?

Game Informer because GameStop does nothing but push this magazine on it's customers. I hate GameStop, but that's another story XD

I remember getting Nintendo Power while in middle school, back when they gave a free copy of Dragon Warrior with a subscription. My dad also got heavily into Dragon Warrior as well as The Legend of Zelda at that time. I definitely recall the issue covering Mega Man III. It was on of the earlier issues I had received. I was so excited about that game being released!

I can kind of see why it would happen, though. So much is going digital now. I guess I just wonder why they didn't make it digital.

On the other hand, I have a digital subscription to Game Informer and I still never read it.

I picked up a copy of the October issue this week. And I intend on getting November and the December one marking the end and last issue. When I opened the magazine I was immediately drawn to stick my nose down to the pages. I had forgotten what a video game magazine smelled like. It brought on a feeling of nostalgia and even a slight tear. 80's and 90's video games started racing through my head. It had been too long and now too late. :-\