Its yard-sale season again

Joined Jul 2004
1K Posts | 1+
Bmount
I'm excited, this year I've already found something and I've only been out last Friday and Saturday.

Friday was a bust, there was a church group fundraiser rummage sale that had a ton of VHS tapes, crappy clothes, and romance novels but nothing game related. I was so bummed I almost didn't go out Saturday but I did anyway because there was a large community yard sale in one of the communities where the people are super loaded but for some reason take the time to make a few dollars cleaning out their storage buildings and garages. One such family sold me a ps2, four controllers, a multi tap, and 30 games (all with cases, many with books) for $25. Nothing was rare and there really wasn't anything I really wanted to play but I'll buy almost anything game related for less than a dollar each. The ps2 had a disk read error but that's really easy to fix and everything was as clean as I've ever seen. There wasn't even the normal dust in the creases and exhaust vents.

Goodwill even paid off the week before. Wii balance boards were marked 4 dollars each and I found two APC UPSs for $5.00 each. The UPSs both had bad batteries ($18 on amazon) but each UPS new would cost me well over $100.

Great finds. Rarely see anything in the wild around my community any more. Goodwill has recently produce some good buys. But it is usually maybe one GBA game or an N64 cart. And that is every few months.

when did console cartridges dry up? I can understand NES being in its 30's but the N64 was only retired 13 years ago... Nintendo cartridges were everywhere once upon a time...

And what about wii games? The wii console dominated sales and saturate the market with games, where are they? why is it all I ever find are ps2 games?

Portable wise there's still a lot of ds and even gba games floating around. Pre GBA though I've not seen in a long time.

As far as yard sale, roadside flea markets go, occasionally I see a couple of stray XBOX 360 games but never any XBOX. And also PS2, but never any PS3. I rarely see any portable games in the wild. For some reason I see a lot of Leapfrog game carts. So not interested in those.

I am fortunate to have a local media store that carries a lot of video games. They are fairly new. Only problem is that they are sometimes higher than eBay. So I have to compare pricing on anything I see. They have a lot of retro stuff. I have purchased a lot of N64 games from them, at equal or less than eBay. And some NES and original GB.

I've got one local store that sales video games but he's got pawn shop prices on the crap (couldn't sell it for a dollar on ebay guy wants 5 to 10) and 10% above ebay on just about everything else.

My sister lives in Jacksonville near the Marine base so this year I'm sending her money and orders to buy anything $1.00 and under (in bulk) that's not sports games and a laundry list of games and their value. Hopefully that'll pay off. She's all the time getting guns, atvs, motorcycles, jetskis, furniture the young marines purchase and play with until they get relocated or shipped overseas. Her husband is finally high ranking enough to where he probably wont be relocated so they're taking advantage. If he does get shipped out I'm 6 hours away and have a huge basement!

Rare opportunity, at a Local Goodwill.

ruby.gif

I got it for $2.99.

Nice. Currently its going for five times that on eBay. At one point I remember used Pokémon games going for around what they were new. I guess interest isn't what it once was. The games are still fun and despite being mass produced the target audience is notorious for destroying games so it's definitely rare to find older Pokémon games.

I've not found anything interesting lately so I've renewed my eBay fascination. So far I've bought both Dark Clouds, Zelda - minnish cap, and super Mario allstars for the snes. The first dark cloud was a mistake (I've already got it) but I was shopping really late at night trying to get a complete version of dark cloud 2 and putting in low bids and accidentally bid on DC1.

After browsing eBay for a few hours I really hope these yard sales and Goodwills start paying off, Retro Gaming has become insanely expensive. Good SNES titles are through the roof. Sega Saturn and Sega CD titles of note are nearly untouchable, even the lofty Neo Geo stuff has gotten even more lofty. The only thing I've noted that seems to be reasonable is Nintendo handheld games. There's still some expensive stuff but most of top games can be found for under 20 and usually under $10.00.

I know about the expensive part all to well. In purchasing some of my N64 collecting I have opted for Japanese game carts. Super Smash Bros, Puyo Puyo 3 Sun, Puyo Puyo 4, Susume! Taisen Puzzle Dama, Pokemon 2 & 3, Custom Robo, are some of my recent Japan purchases. On the US side it has been Xena warrior princess, Deadly Arts, War Gods, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Fighter Destiny 2. I have been playing through N64 fighters recently and blogging reviews over at Wordpress.

There are a few expensive ones that I am about to pounce on. They are not as expensive as Bangai-O N64 which I threw down $85. That is the most I have ever paid for a game and I still feel like that I got my money's worth. Best game ever.

bangai-o ... lemme preface my opinion by saying I've never played it.

With that said aside from its rarity I can't figure out why this game is so expensive. I just watched 20 minutes or so of YouTube videos on and I just don't see paying that much for it. I like twin stick shooters and do see the entertainment value of the game but still, 80 to 100 for a copy seems high. Is there something I'm missing that the youtube video's wont show?

I love shooters. That is were I developed my love for video games. Part of what makes Bangai-O so fun to me is that it has that Treasure touch. They made good games. And paying $85 was not that much over the original retail. Mine was complete which is usually going for sometimes as much as $200. $200 is excessive. There was only 10,000 copies which makes it a collectors thing and ruins it for gamers. Not everyone that owns an N64 can have a copy. I have wanted this game for a very long time. When I saw it for $85, that is the lowest that I had seen it at the time, I jumped on it.

Part of the fascination is having a game like this on the N64. In a crowded library of me-too 3D games is a 2D shooter. Showing that the N64 was very capable of doing 2D gaming.

There is some strategy to what looks like chaos in clearing each level and progressing to the next. But then again, it is like every other shooter in that it is repetitive. It is also the flavor of the gameplay. Every shooter has its own unique feel. There is a Dreamcast, XBOX Live Arcade, and a DS version of the game. They are variations, with differences, of this game. Although they are fun in that they are improvements in certain ways, I prefer this original version. N64 version is obviously more expensive than any of those versions.

What you see is the game being played on the youtube videos. What you don't see is the "playing the game." Like any other game, for example, watching someone play a Puyo type game on youtube. You see the pieces falling and going into place, but you don't see the "thinking and maneuvering" of that player, the fun. I would rate this game up there with the likes of Gradius, R-Type, Raiden, etc. Classics. But it can be owned a lot cheaper by settling for one of the variations.

I've owned Blazing Lazers and soldier blade for the tg16 and Blazing Star for the Neo Geo AES (all have long since been sold on ebay)

but even the sought after lower circulated shooters did it for my like Super R-type and Gradius did. Super R-type may be my favorite shooter ever.

It's funny, those are pbr of shooter video games. I'm really low rent when it comes to shooters.

Aaaahhh... Blazing Lazers and Soldier Blade, I have logged many hours on those two. The Turbo Grafx system is my favorite console. And it is my favorite due to the many shooters contained in its library.

Super R-Type and Gradius on the SNES were the only game I played whenever I first got the system. I wore them out. Even though I gradually purchased other game they occupied my time as being most played on the system. Only Street Fighter 2 edged in at one point trying hard to pull me away. Those were some good days back then.

I think I'd have more fun with shooters and fighters if I had someone to play them with. As of now my children play minecraft and roblox and have left behind all the platformers, party games, even the fps games we've enjoyed. Before I could fully involve them in a bevvy of retro games they grew into pre-teens and have forsaken all that is good in the world of gaming, so now I'm on my own again.

(steering back on topic)

At this point I think I'd die if I found anything of merit out in the wild. There's usually just the crappy kid games from ps2, xbox, xbox 360, and a few of the god-aweful wii titles and the occasional hand-held device or title but the games are Disney or nickelodeon, or some movie tie-in cash grab title with absolutely no playability.

And I still fight for an answer as to why. I'd imagine kids games would be more rare since they're target audience isn't well known for their preservation skills. Are these titles so bad that the kids don't even play them making them more available? Surely not everyone out there uses or pays attention to eBay....

I think there are people who are hunters out there which are targeting yard sales and then selling the stuff on ebay. They may, or may not, be gamers but they know the value of retro games. I don't think the average person would fool with selling on ebay. The average person may find the local mom & pop video game (or media) store in their area and there dump their games. Like the one that has popped up in my area. They seem to have a steady supply of NES games and in very good condition. Which means that people have hung on to their games. People are still hanging on to their childhood stuff? Suddenly they have gotten to an age, or life changes, and are ready to let go?

I have been gradually picking up GBA, NES, and N64 game carts at my local mom & pop.

I guess retro gaming is just becoming more and more popular. I just finished reading a list ranking the worst to best Zelda games (was written a few years ago as it didn't have link between worlds and triforce heroes) that had the original Zelda in 10th (as in 4th worst) and the best four (in descending order) was oot, majoras mask, wind waker, and a link to the past. I can get behind a link to the past being highly ranked (maybe even number 1) but the original barely making top ten...

What I'm getting around to is that I'm slowly realizing that there's a whole new generation we're competing with for these things. The millennials are finally old enough to appreciate and wealthy enough to start driving prices and creating scarcity. Until recently us Generation X guys along with the tail end of the baby boomers had the market to ourselves. Now our kids are crowding us out!