What Did You Think About "Dark Cloud 2"?

Joined Jan 2008
5K Posts | 0+
Earth
Hi All!

How would you compare it to the 1st? Is it as much fun and creative as the 1st one?

It's much, much better than the first. I actually wrote a review for it a while back but can't seem to find it on the site. If you liked Dark Cloud 1, you will love Dark Cloud 2.

x2 said:
It's much, much better than the first. I actually wrote a review for it a while back but can't seem to find it on the site. If you liked Dark Cloud 1, you will love Dark Cloud 2.
He nailed it, I can go on to some greater details though...

So, first things first, you need to know that it is not a continuation of the first game. This was kinda disappointing to me, but believe me, once you get into it, you won't mind. This is a whole different story, in a whole different area, and the two games are somewhat controversial. You'll know what I mean once you play it, I don't want to tell because of possible spiolers from both games (If you havent finished the 1st game yet).
The actual name of the game is "Dark Chronicle" it was released in North america as "Dark Cloud 2" because there was already an existing title under the same name here.
You've pretty much got the DC1 gameplay, with more features and a few tweaks to the game. You don't gather allies like you do in the first game, rather, you gather robot parts for the main character's creation "Ridepod". You can assemble this and use it (Who is named Steve- Which is aslo the name of one of Xiao's slingshots from the first game) in battle as long as you have gas for it. *Note that taking while riding in Steve taking damage decreases how much gas you have*
You can also use another character (The second playable character of the two in the game) to transform into monsters, once you get through the second dungeon.
Instead of collecting Atla like you did in the last game, this time you're collecting Geostones. They're basically the same thing, but instead of containing a house or a tree, or whatever, they simply contain the plans for a house, tree, river, etc. You have to find materials to build what the plans contain.
The goal of the game is to restore the future, which the Dark Spirit has destroyed. The 2nd main character (Monica) comes back in tome to team up with Max, the character you start off as, to create a past that changes the future- Confusing, but very interesting!
Max and Monica basically build things in the past that will grow into better things in the future. You can travel to the future to check out what your creations are turning into as well.
You still have your basic hack n slash real time dungeon crawler like the first game, some of the items/monsters share a name and have the same models, so you get a nostalgic feel while playing it.
I absolutely LOVE the soundtrack for the game, this is, without doubt, my favorite game soundtrack of all time, I even bought the 2 disc OST a few years ago. ^_^
If you don't have this game, what are you waiting for? You can snatch it for a few bucks, even though this game is probably still worth well over it's launch price. I have 2 copies, in case something ever happened to one of them. But seriously man, GET THIS GAME NOW! You're doing yourself a disservice by not owning it. ;)

That's my 2 cents anyway. *looks up* Dang... I wrote a mini review. o_O

I love it too; and agree about the soundtrack! The opening theme is probably my favorite.

ThravRande said:
I love the Venaccio music. :D

Yes! Although my personal favorite track is Starlight Temple in the future. The fishing theme is also nice but gets kinda annoying after a while.

Very good game, though the Georama (which was THE best thing in Dark Cloud) is slightly weaker in this version. Oh and be prepared for a lot of hours. This was when Level-5 decided to make their games epic in length, both story wise and side-quest wise. And make sure to level everyone equally since you will come across rooms that demand to be completed with a specfic character, power, weapon or a combination.

I love the robot called Steve, espically when you get his voice box.

that_guy said:
Very good game, though the Georama (which was THE best thing in Dark Cloud) is slightly weaker in this version. Oh and be prepared for a lot of hours. This was when Level-5 decided to make their games epic in length, both story wise and side-quest wise. And make sure to level everyone equally since you will come across rooms that demand to be completed with a specfic character, power, weapon or a combination.

I love the robot called Steve, espically when you get his voice box.
His voice can be annoying as hell though. O_O
And all in all, this game can be played through in about 8 hours, if you skip side quests and you know how to level everything up quickly. I've done so many speed runs, but that's probably because I've beaten it 110% many times and know how to do everything and then some. ::D

I'm glad the Dark Cloud series is getting some love here. I've always considered both game to be seriously underrated.

Underrated for sure, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. I got it wayyyyyy back when games were a certain price that I didn't mind taking a chance on an interesting looking game. I can remember leaving my PS2 on for 2 weeks because I didn't have a memory card when I first got it. It is one of my all time favorite games, and I've recommended it to loads of people, and I dont think Ive met anyone who has played it and didn't like it, :)

I love the Dark Cloud series, I really wish they would bring it back. That and Time Splitters

Ozonne said:
I love the Dark Cloud series, I really wish they would bring it back. That and Time Splitters
Level 5 said they would make a third if the fans wanted it. Rumor has it thats what they're working on, now that WKC is finished.

ThravRande said:
Level 5 said they would make a third if the fans wanted it. Rumor has it thats what they're working on, now that WKC is finished.

i wonder if that is true :? if so.... cool 8)

It was strongly implied last May (2014) and was supposed to have been an E3 reveal that year, instead Level 5 hinted at developing "something epic" after Sony had (coincidentally?) renewed the DC license and approached Level 5 about making something for the PS4.

I really loved both Dark Cloud games and if Dark Cloud makes it to the PS4 I would finally have enough reason to go purchase one.