Great SNES RPGs

Joined Feb 2005
716 Posts | 0+
I'm gonna start this as a topic for most systems..as I'm trying to get my hands on all the good rpgs I can find...I've got FF4 and FF6, Super Mario RPG, Chronotrigger, Secret of Mana and Evermore....what else for the SNES is worth playing?

Besides the ones already mentioned by both of you, there is not really any more released in the US. Theres tons of Japanese RPGs for SNES..but unless you read kanji or get a translated *cough*rom*cough* then your not gonna be able to play them =/

ok.... US names.. here we go:

Final Fantasy 2, 3, Mystic Quest, Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Robotrek, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Breath of Fire 1 & 2, Lufia 1 & 2, ogre battle, Chronotrigger, Eye of the beholder... and there are more... but thats a decent start.

Just to let you know... some of these will run you into big money :lol

†B†V† :hat

Bluevoodu said:
ok.... US names.. here we go:

Final Fantasy 2, 3, Mystic Quest, Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Robotrek, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Breath of Fire 1 & 2, Lufia 1 & 2, ogre battle, Chronotrigger, Eye of the beholder... and there are more... but thats a decent start.

Just to let you know... some of these will run you into big money :lol

Mystic Quest is terrible...I haven't heard of Robotrk or Breath of Fire...were they godo?

Aprilsrain said:
Mystic Quest is terrible...I haven't heard of Robotrk or Breath of Fire...were they godo? 
well... a lot of people still like Mystic Quest  :p

I have not had a chance to play Robotrek..... but I hear its a really fun RPG (made by Enix).
BOF series rocks!

I kinda liked Secret of Mana 2. But if you really want a great RPG, try Lufia or Lufia 2. The names are really bad, but the games are fun. They play a bit like a mix between Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana. Well worth a try. You can also try Chrono Cross, as in Chronotrigger 2. I'm not sure what format it's on, though. Never actually got around to playing it myself.

I never liked Breathe of Fire, but I know there are at least four of them. How bad can they be? (BoF4 are on playstation, though.) And then there's the little known Legend of Mana, which would be some sort of Secret of Mana spin-off. You basically choose a character (male or female) and a weapon. After that you walk around in towns, get quests and build stuff. Sort of, it's been a while. The story are something about a magical tree or something, and are as non-linear as they can possibly get and still be a RPG. It sounds very good. Sadly though, it's not. :'(

Chrono Cross was a playstation game, but the only thing that I found awesome with that, was when you beat the game and started New Game +, the L and R buttons proved useful, as they were then a Slow down and Fast Forward button, so you can go thru the game really quick.

I absolutely adore Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger. I have beaten FFIII (FFVI) on SNES so many times, I have done test runs and possibly beaten it in a record time. I loved Earthbound and for some sick reason, Im still waiting for the sequel.

Look into Shadowrun. It's not expensive anymore. It's not your typical rpg but it does have some of the aspects of an rpg that makes it appealing to fans of that genre. It's a really raw game, very innovative as far as gameplay, and just down right fun!

it was cool, you had to do runs for "Mr. Johnsons" to make money, talk to people to find out what the heck is going on, and then from those conversations you picked up key words that you had to talk to other people about to progress the game, it had a wicked learning curve for a little kind but anyone with a few years on em could knock it out quick because it's mostly intuitive thinking.

Super Mario RPG=Best SNES RPG made IMO and also game most deserving of a sequel (No paper mario doesn't count, niether do the Superstar games)

Perhaps I shouldn't tell you this, but you can download those for free for the PC. I don't recommend it being a lawyer and all, just saying it's a possibility. You didn't hear it from me. ;)

Yes, I am aware of that. However, it's illegal to download roms of games that one does not already personally own.

Therefore, I should have said that I'm excited because I will be able to download them all legally. ;)

mai what do you mean download them and catch up on them your gunna be able to download on the revolution? :?

Elament said:
mai what do  you mean download them and catch up on them  your gunna be able to download on the revolution? :?

Yes. The Nintendo Revolution is going to allow you to download NES, SNES, N64, and presumably Game Boy games. Nintendo hasn't decided whether or not they are going to charge yet.

From IGN:
Iwata then talks about backward compatibility. "Redefining term of backward compatability." It's a virtual console, able to download 20 years of Nintendo content. You will be able to Download NES, Super NES and N64 games. You can get every Nintendo game ever made.