Great SNES RPGs

On an emu on my PSP I have a bunch. My favorites are:

FF 1-6 (I'm really liking II)
Chronotrigger
Secret of Mana

As a side note, I would like to apologize for my reference to emulators (even though they're legal).

Since I forgot to mention it previously, one of the best SNES rpgs, IMO, is easily Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. :) It was developed by Square when they were still Square Soft. :D

targetrasp said:
Look into Shadowrun. It's not expensive anymore. It's not your typical rpg but it does have some of the aspects of an rpg that makes it appealing to fans of that genre. It's a really raw game, very innovative as far as gameplay, and just down right fun!

Agreed, that game ruled.

When I first read that Shadowrun was coming to 360, I was salivating at the thought of it being Deus Ex meets Oblivion, then I read on: 'tactical team-based shooter'.

Having since played it, it seems clear that FASA hates Shadowrun fans.

Oh, and Chrono Trigger would take it out for best Japanese SNES RPG. Pretty obvious.

Aprilsrain said:
I'm gonna start this as a topic for most systems..as I'm trying to get my hands on all the good rpgs I can find...I've got FF4 and FF6, Super Mario RPG, Chronotrigger, Secret of Mana and Evermore....what else for the SNES is worth playing?

I'd also suggest Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia, some of my personal favorites. :)

Earthbound was my favorite RPG for the SNES, You can even play two player on it. Very weird style though (Pencil Eraser?) along with the Blue Blue reminds me of the KKK. Its not your traditional castle exploring, sword weilding rpg.

FF7 master said:
1. super Mario RPG
2. final fantasy 6
3. final fantasy 3
Final Fantasy VI was Final Fantasy III on the SNES(for the US). Final Fantasy II US = Final Fantasy IV. Final Fantasy III US = Final Fantasy VI.
classicvideogames.isgreat said:
My favorite game was Zelda.
Zelda isn't an RPG.

fhqwhgads said:
Zelda isn't an RPG.

Oh, let's not get into that old debate, it's an action/RPG. I always liked Secret of Evermore and Might and Magic III. Never, ever, ever buy an RPG called "Obitus". Biggest piece of crap on the SNES ever.

Did I say it was a RPG? No, I didn't. I just said those are RPG elements. If anything I agree with you. I do not classify Legend of Zelda as a RPG.

Zelda has all the elements of a classic RPG except for experience points, so the only real difference is that you don't have spend hours killing giant rats over and over again in order to progress a little further in the game. Zelda 2 tried using experience points and it sucked. And technically speaking, most games are RPGs because you assume the a Role to Play the Game. But semantics shmantics, call it an action/adventure if you like.

It's funny that this should come up; I was just debating on another message board about Zelda not being an rpg.

Personally I've always thought of Zelda as an action-adventure game.