AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Status
Closed
Joined Jun 2005
7K Posts | 0+
Louisburg, NC, USA
I'm frustrated. The Wii is supposed to open up on the top so we can use Game Cube controllers, right? Mine ain't opening. I'm about to go nuts on this thing...

They don't. Guess the Cube gets hooked back up...

Yeah that sucks, especially since the older Wii games have cube controller support. :-\ They stopped doing that with the newer stuff so I guess they just figured they didn't need to put it in anymore? It's still stupid.

aleeock157 said:
Yeah that sucks, especially since the older Wii games have cube controller support. :-\ They stopped doing that with the newer stuff so I guess they just figured they didn't need to put it in anymore? It's still stupid.

WOW... I didn't realize this. That sucks :(

well... I probably did but just forgot... Idk... I've been forgetting a lot lately :( So the Wii is not backwards compatible with the Gamecube on the newer systems? LAME. I REALLY hate that all systems are doing this now.

†B†V† :hat

Bluevoodu said:
WOW... I didn't realize this. That sucks :(

well... I probably did but just forgot... Idk... I've been forgetting a lot lately :( So the Wii is not backwards compatible with the Gamecube on the newer systems? LAME. I REALLY hate that all systems are doing this now.

Yeah but $10 says I can go on Nintendo's website and find a wireless Gamecube controller for a ton of change. Guess a profit is the reason behind compatibility issues. Especially since the manuals still state a "classic" controller is needed, and the picture for such controllers in the manual plugs into the Wii controller.

I looked more into it, and I guess that the newer Wii's aren't even able to play Gamecube games. Wth is up with that? Was it really that big of a thing for them to keep the cube stuff in there? Hope my Wii never goes down or anything, I don't have a cube anymore.

GC compatibility was removed to make the system even cheaper. It makes sense considering it's at the end of its life span and already has a ton of games. Plus, people who are looking for actual GC compatibility are few and far between. Not enough of them to warrant keeping it around.

It is not compatible with any GC peripherals either. So you'll be relegated to Classic Controllers. Fortunately, the CCs are much more ergonomic now.

It technically is. The only reason the MSRP is about the same is because it's now being bundled with a real game. I believe it's either Mario Kart or the New Super Mario Bros. All for $150.

If I remember correctly, the same "bundles" that carried these two games were $200, about this time last year. Of course, if you shop online, you'll find deals.

When it first launched, it was at $250.

well, i have two gamecubes, but I am glad I have an older wii then becuz i like using a gamecube controller when playing mario kart wii....

CreepinDeth said:
GC compatibility was removed to make the system even cheaper. It makes sense considering it's at the end of its life span and already has a ton of games. Plus, people who are looking for actual GC compatibility are few and far between. Not enough of them to warrant keeping it around.

It is not compatible with any GC peripherals either. So you'll be relegated to Classic Controllers. Fortunately, the CCs are much more ergonomic now.

I know that's the reason they use... but I do not think backward compatibility makes THAT big of a difference in the cost.

I'd be willing to bet they will offer Gamecube games for a price for digital download later on... that's why the backward compatibility won't be there. Same issue goes with the PS3 and the Xboxc 360. There are profit incentives there for digital downloads PLUS the gaming market has been trying to find a way to kill off used game sales for a long time. This is definitely one way to do it.

I'm not a fan of any system doing this... period. I like backward compatibility. That's why I still have the original 60GB Playstation 3. I just upgraded the hard drive.

Anger...

There are always going to be other reasons. But if you cut down on the amount of circuits you need on the board to accommodate GC controllers, memory cards and discs, you cut a nice piece of cost off.

And I don't think it's any secret that GC games will be available eventually for download. It was just a matter of when, and when there are already millions of Wii's out there with BC, there was really no point to continue producing it in its current state.

It's not like Sony who pulled it out mid-way through its life cycle. The Wii is already dead. Time to focus on the WiiU, which if I recall, will be Wii compatible with all peripherals.

If you think about it, now that everything is wireless and using a regular standard like bluetooth, we shouldn't be running into these problems in the future.

Also, I never get rid of my consoles, so I'm good. :D

I still think the bottom line is they are trying to kill off used game sales. It's been a major endevour for a long time.

I could be wrong... But I think all 3 companies are aligning with this strategy in the background.

BV :hat

But the sad thing about classic or used games is it keeps the hobby alive. I have collected older games and systems for the fun of the hunt, fun with game play, and brand recognition. It was easier for me to pay for a Wii because I have classic Nintendo game systems. I'm not a huge fan of the Xbox or Playstation because they don't have quite the legacy of Nintendo.

Still, I am a bit surprised and a bit disappointed that Nintendo would do something like this.

Did this increase the value of my Gamecube? Maybe I should try to sell it now. :p And its too bad BV doesnt have any in stock to sell now, haha.

Hmm.... I really don't like the idea of not being able to use the Game Cube controller. I really like using it to play the NiGHTS game for the Wii. And I like the idea of being able to pop in a Game Cube game sometimes.

Status
Closed