Castlevania IV

Joined Jun 2004
3K Posts | 0+
Indiana
B.V, I tried Castlevania IV and did not like it much at all. :-\

It seems to me like a poorly-done follow up with only marginally improved graphics over Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse for the NES.

Now, however, I'm getting back into Symphony of the Night.

Did you try the rom or the actual cart? The rom is a poor excuse for the actual version. However, if you had played this game back in the day, it would have meant more.

The characters are much larger in Super Castlevania and there is 360 degree rotation, which was a big thing back then. It seems small, but the 360 degree rotation in Super Mario World was a big innovation.

It still has the poor jumping dynamics and arcade style (read as: if you die, you lose any items that you collected) gameplay. Those games tend to bore me since the characters don't develop new skills to add to the game.

I far prefer games like Mega Man X, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night or even the older Castlevania II: Simon's Quest just because your character actually grows, changes and learns new abilities.

Well...to each their own. On a side note though: Roms are plagged by poor controls. Please do not think the original game had the same controls, I.E. if it was in fact a ROM you used.

Believe in the power of originals, DESTROY ILLEGAL COPIES TODAY.

Heh, it controls exactly like Castlevania I, II and III. All three games have horrible jumping control.

:) I bidded on a factory sealed Super Castlevania IV
for the Super Nes and won it. I love all of the Castlevania
games and i have almost every Castlevania game. 8)

2 Snes
2 PS1
2 GB
1 PS2
3 GBA
2 Nes
1 N64
1 PC Engine coming soon

Grindspine said:
It still has the poor jumping dynamics and arcade style (read as: if you die, you lose any items that you collected) gameplay.  Those games tend to bore me since the characters don't develop new skills to add to the game.

I far prefer games like Mega Man X, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Castlevania: Symphony  of the Night or even the older Castlevania II: Simon's Quest just because your character actually grows, changes and learns new abilities.

Then Super CastleVania 4 isn't for you, it goes back to traditional gameplay. when all you needed was a life meter, whip, and a sub weapon...you die...you earn those items again...back on track..

CastleVania doesn't have horrible jumping, It just takes pratice to get it right. Konami did that on purpose to make you get better at their jumps.

If Part 1 didn't teach you, then 2 should...if not, then 3 should have...and so on....each basic 2D style CastleVania (Non-RPG that is) always suffered from that, that's why we have websites dedicated to "CastleVania Fustration"

Still in comparison to so many other games, the jumping has very little control and I consider it sub par when compared to even other NES games (Metroid or Mega Man).

Grindspine said:
Still in comparison to so many other games, the jumping has very little control and I consider it sub par when compared to even other NES games (Metroid or Mega Man).
CV4 is pretty sweet..... the jumping is just classic Castlevania.

Too bad you didn;t like it :) CV4 is a killer title!

†B†V† :hat

Compaired to Symphony of the Night or Aria of Sorrow, it has very little to offer.

Grindspine said:
Compaired to Symphony of the Night or Aria of Sorrow, it has very little to offer.

I'm not going to compare SOTN or AOS to Super CastleVania 4, because that is a different genre of CastleVania and to me, has nothing to do with how the original CastleVania is.

Platformer (One direction, no turning back) Vs. Action/RPG (Exploring everything) so to speak

MegaDrive20XX said:
I'm not going to compare SOTN or AOS to Super CastleVania 4, because that is a different genre of CastleVania and to me, has nothing to do with how the original CastleVania is.

Platformer (One direction, no turning back) Vs. Action/RPG (Exploring everything) so to speak

^ that is a comparison.. but short and to the point.

I'll play Symphony of the night sometime soon.... I got to play it a bit. Its cool, I'll admit that.

But my favorite is still CV4 for now.

I know a lot of people didn't like it... but I really liked the Castlevania's on the N64. Good stuff they made, and no one really gave it a chance.

Bluevoodu said:
I'll play Symphony of the night sometime soon.... I got to play it a bit.  Its cool, I'll admit that.

But my favorite is still CV4 for now.

I know a lot of people didn't like it... but I really liked the Castlevania's on the N64.  Good stuff they made, and no one really gave it a chance.

CastleVania 64 i did enjoy as well, and you must try Legacy of Darkness...the extra features and playable characters...new bosses...really adds a kick to the 64 game

Granted, Castlevania II and III were still fun (though III was ultra frustrating), but Symphony of the Night had atmosphere and skills to master along with more hidden items to find that greatly increased its replay value. The graphics and sound alone are outstanding. The only 2D platformer even on par with Symphony of the Night would be Super Metroid. Aria of Sorrow and Metroid: Zero Mission come close, granted that they were both GBA "fixes" for fans of the Castlevania and Metroid games though.

CastleVania III: Dracula's Curse...aka Akumajo Densetsu....my all time favorite.

The first time we were given alternate paths for a platformer...and probably one of the best soundtracks for an 8-bit NES game (Then again, you should hear the Japanese verison...way way better)