steam link / steam controller

Joined Jul 2004
1K Posts | 1+
Bmount
I purchased one of each for a "family" gift for Christmas and has been curious how others have felt about these. I'm considering getting two more controllers so both kids and I can play together. I'm really hoping these things work as well as valve says the do.

I visited a friend this weekend that had a Link and the controller and I personally think they're awesome. The thing is, the Steam controller is really hit or miss with your preferences.

Depending on the ages of your kids, I would say the controller learning curve can be a little steep. Especially if they're already used to more conventional controllers. Also, there's support for games but it's not exactly plug and play. You'll have to take time to set it up depending on the game.

As for the Link, it's pretty awesome but you'll need a router with 802.11 AC for the best performance. You can plug a wireless keyboard and mouse if you want. It supports most out of the box. It's a fairly straightforward streamer that works as long as you have the bandwidth.

TLDR: You have to try it out somehow. If you haven't, then it's hard to say if it's for you. These are not for everybody.

Yeah, I got 100 meg cable internet, a nice wireless AC router and would probably plug the steam link into the switch in the living room anyway. The more I hear and read the more people are like "I want to like it but.."

I've already determined the controller will take the right mapping to be worth a crap and have enough xbox controllers to do whatever anyway I just like the idea of not having to have a keyboard in my living room to play what I wanted to play.

We'll see in a few more days, although I have a feeling the ps4 and the five or so games I've purchased so far for that will keep my living room tied up, so I'll still be playing steam in another room - that free copy of rocket league just turned into $100 really quick!

My old 360 style PC controller is failing after replacing the cable twice.

I have considered the Steam Controller as a replacement, but have yet to get my hands on one.

As an owner of a Steam Controller, I recommend just using a Dualshock 4 instead. You can customize just like a Steam Controller but feels much better. It's what I do. At this point, the only time I use the Steam Controller is if I don't need a right analog stick.

The steam controller is completely over-engineered. It looks awesome, is really sophisticated, but isn't great. I've got some cheap-o Logitech controllers I much prefer..

ditto Creepin' playstation controllers are far superior.

As much as I have really liked the Sony Dual Shock controllers. I do not know if I could even get used to playing Skyrim, or most other controller-based games that I have on Steam, using anything but the 360 PC controller.

the 360 controllers are great, heck the new xbox one controllers are great. They've all became pretty standard and often imitated when it comes to pc gaming.

Grindspine said:
As much as I have really liked the Sony Dual Shock controllers. I do not know if I could even get used to playing Skyrim, or most other controller-based games that I have on Steam, using anything but the 360 PC controller.

The main reason I offered it was because it can be customized just like a Steam Controller in Steam itself. If you don't want to get used to anything else, then feel free to stick with an Xbox controller. I'm fairly certain Skyrim has Xinput support. That's the beauty of PC gaming.

Oh, yeah, I was replying to the more recent replies. As far as customized controls, the Steam Controller, Dualshock 4 and some other high end controllers are more customizable.