Neo Geo CD New to neo cd

Joined Feb 2009
9 Posts | 0+
Hi just wondering if someone could help me out with a general loading question in relation to gameplay.
Ive had an aes for about 7 years got 20 games for it really love it.
I was in a trade store the other day and seen someone trying to sell the trader store a top loader cd with 5 games only offered him 80$ australian for it. I managed to get the guy to sell me the system for a 100$ cash.
I honestly expected my cd experience to be alot worse but got to say really loveing world heroes perfect.
The System came with samauri showdown 1 and 2 world heroes perfect fatal fury special and a baseball game.
kinda a shame i own all of them on cart except world heroes pefect and the baseball game.

I keep hearing bad loading this bad loading that from everyone. But i have nothing to compare it to like i said ive been playing world heroes perfect on it and the load time in that is no big deal at all. So my question is how do other games compare to that, is world heroes perfect a game most people would consider a quick load middle range or slow???

Im curious cause i bought pulstar and am getting breakers. Wondering how these games will load if its anything like world heroes perfect then hey thats not bad at all.

The newer games like "Last Blade" is where you will start to feel the load times. Honestly, if you are a gamer like me where the NGCD is the only way that you can afford the Neo experience, then the load times are over looked and you get used to them. But seeing that you have an AES system they might be more noticeable. I think those gamers that are more of a Neo Geo purest, when it comes to playing the NGCD, has the hardest problem. If you are very into retro 2D gaming then the load times are very comparable to many games of past retro CD systems.

In some of the older games, like Magician Lord, there is no problem when it comes to load time. The older games usually have the one time load when booting. Samurai Spirits 1 & 2 and Fatal Fury Special are probably games with an average load time. Sonic Wings 2, King of the Monsters 2, and Robo Army seem to have shorter load times than those games. I do not remember Magician Lord, Viewpoint, or Last Resort ever loading again after that first boot load. I do not have World Heroes Perfect, but I do have World Heroes 2 Jet and feel that it shouldn't be as long as it is on the load times, IMO.

I had to sit down and play some NGCD games while writting this post with a conscience effort to take note of the load times to give an evaluation. That is how much that I have grown used to the load times. My attention is in the game.

I personally would rather game with carts than Cd's, but my pockets are shallow.

Good deal on that system.

Congrats on your deal! World Heroes Perfect is awesome on cd, isn't it? I would consider the loads on Perfect to be mid-range for CD load times.

To reiterate Retro, older games(1990-1993 or so) especially the non-fighters, can be grouped into the low-end. Generally a one-time load. Check out the first World Heroes on CD for a great example of a one-time loading fighting game with an awesome remixed soundtrack.

Perfect is a good example of mid range, Loads after every match, but I clocked them at about 12 seconds per match, not bad.

Where you get into high end territory is with games like Last Blade, the later King of Fighters, and the other "big" fighters from the late 90's. In these cases, you sit through loads not just to fight, but for post-fight victory screens and such. The upside to these titles is that they generally offer an option to cut down on loads, by offering a bare-bones character select screen, and no pre and post-fight hoopla.

Keep in mind, some games are anomalous; I agree with retro that Jet loads a bit long. What is really bad is that plain World Heroes 2 loads longer than 2 Jet or Perfect. There is a remarkable level of disparity in loading for the Heroes series, with the fastest loading being the first and last installments.

Breakers is a later title with sophisticated graphics. . .I bet it will be on the higher end. Let us know what you think of it!

Hey thanks for the reply
I really just bought the system on a spur or the moment thing. But when i got home and looked at what is actually on the system it occured to me theres a heap of good games.
Im not interested in buying anything i already have on cart so that takes alot of the bigger fighting games out. Ive got on cart last blade 1 and 2 king of fighters 98 99 2000 2001 art of fighting 3 waku waku garou. I got these games but i just cant justify the prices for early metal slug games and some of the rare aes 2d fighters (ninja masters ,breakers,super tag battle)
Ive paid alot for my aes collection in this last 7 years and when i looked up neo geo cd on ebay and seen there were cd version of ninja masters , breakers ,metal slug 1 , 2 pulstar
I have to admit i was pretty happy that i can still play them . Just hopeing they load as good as world heroes perfect :)
My copy of pulstar is coming monday and breakers sometime this week ill let ya guys know what i think.

Welcome to the forums! Nice score on the NGCD, I have yet to see one in the wild here in the states.

Sounds like the NGCD will be a nice secondary system for you. Like you noted, the games are waaaaaay cheaper.

(don't have any load time information on the games you are looking for)

Just finished playing real bout special
Ive got real bout on neo geo cart and i really liked it. Rbs seems alot more refined, man i noticed that the graphics seem to be in a higher res on cd either that or rbs just looks alot better than real bout.
I only really played world heroes pefect before this and the loading didnt bug me at all. In fact i considered the loading to be pretty fast. I gotta say that it doesnt trash the game or anything but man the loading is abit much at times in rbs. Im still playing it heaps tho so i cant say its recked the game or anything.
Ive only got a top loader im really considering trying to find a cdz now. Not sure what price i should expect to pay for it i dont really want a box and manual. I seen some youtube footage of games loading on cdz and a top loader and it looks pretty noticable.

Played pulstar heaps to really cool game. I play blazing star heaps on aes but could never aford pulstar so im really happy to get a chance to try pulstar (thanks cd ). Loading really isnt a big issue in this game doesnt effect the game much at all. Maybe its just me but is this game alot and i mean alot harder than blazing star?. I think the loading just bugged me more in real bout special because it happens so often in a fighting game. I really noticed it when you lose to when you get back to the character select.
Still all the same the game is well worth it.

i just ordered pulstar along with a couple of other games yesterday, so i hope to finally enjoy pulstar very soon in light of all the praise it gets. i purposely avoid looking at too many screenshots or videos of the game in action so everything is as new as it can be :)

You wont be dissapointed i put blazeing star on the other night and played it abit and then pulstar straight after it. I gotta say i think i actually like pulstar more the level design is really cool.
The aniamation for the larger enemies in it is awesome looking and ive only made it to level 3.

I said in a previous post that the loading wasnt to bad for this game. Well its actually better than i thought it was between levels there are like 5 second cut scenes that take id say 20 secs to load up. Then after the cut scene its another 20 seconds to load the level up i found in the options you can just turn the cut scene off makes the flow of the game alot better.

yea pulstar is tough, but super fun and it's a beautiful game :). i just got my own copy yesterday.

i have a question though. when you're starting a game from new and from the first stage, does it take a while for it to load on a black screen? it seemed like the game was loading, but the monkey wasnt there or the loading screen.

thanks

I've been working on reviewing a few games and for the first time, I noticed that there is a few seconds of black screen before the monkey appears. I include that in my load time. I am thinking that it takes a few seconds for the monkey to load. Some games don't have the monkey. They have other things.

nowloading.gif

on pulstar, it seems like it loads the whole stage without any background at all, no monkey or anything. i guess i can do more testing, but it seems to be when i start from Stage 1 with or without the Visuals on (an option in the Options menu toggling cutscenes on/off).

the main reason i bring it up is because theres no indication of the loading since it's just a black screen, i thought the game was frozen at first.

just to bump this topic up and mention some new things i've noticed...

when i played pulstar on the cdz, the load screen was totally different, a cdz only if you will.

when i played pulstar on the top loader, the monkey and now loading bar was there.

when i played pulstar on the front loader, there was no monkey and no load bar when it loads the stage 1.