Kids react to NES

Joined Jun 2004
3K Posts | 0+
Indiana
Wow, it is sad that there are kids who grew up not knowing what an NES was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDOZbvE01Fk#t=523

This IS sad. I'm thinking that they will never know some of the joys of playing the NES. :'(

Stuff like this will help get the word out and expose another generation to Nintendo's crowning achievement. It happens all the time. I remember being in highschool in the late 90's and witnessing a Grateful Dead resurgence. Kids had skulls and roses on their folders and backpacks and the Grateful Dead un-wine was being circulated to the masses. Kids born after Kurt Cobain's suicide have the Nevermind Album (although the one's I've talked to had no idea Dave Grohl was their drummer).

With the youtube videos and the hot topic tshirts I feel confident the younger generation will get to enjoy the trappings of the original.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Technology itself doesn't reemerge like old music does. Graphical entertainment tends to age worse than music. Look at movies. Sure there are those that are considered classics but as movies become bigger and grander, older films get forgotten much easier.

Music on the other hand doesn't really advance in terms of technique. It's not as quantifiable since it's based on sound and interpretation. Movies and games are visual so the quality differences are a lot more jarring.

don't get me wrong, I can see a 13 year old combing flea markets, goodwills, and yardsales looking for the square Nintendo (or a tv that'll it'll look ok on for that matter) but clones and the virtual console will keep it alive. I was just in walmart and walked past a rack of Atari era clones (vcs, colecovision, etc) with some insane number of games loaded on to it, and next to that was the sega clone that has 80 games and will play most cartridges. theres a lot of (albeit cheap) stuff that'll play nes and snes cartridges available at a lot of online retailers. I think it'll live on, maybe not thrive but live none the less.

CreepinDeth said:
Maybe, but I doubt it. Technology itself doesn't reemerge like old music does. Graphical entertainment tends to age worse than music. Look at movies. Sure there are those that are considered classics but as movies become bigger and grander, older films get forgotten much easier.

Music on the other hand doesn't really advance in terms of technique. It's not as quantifiable since it's based on sound and interpretation. Movies and games are visual so the quality differences are a lot more jarring.
I am not sure about movies. There are those movies from the 70's that hurt me to watch. I lived through that era. I had the hip hugger, bell bottom jeans. I had the hair. Now looking at those movies I cringe. I say to myself, "I looked like that?" Somebody should have helped the boy. And yet I have no problem with movies from the 40s through the 60s, even if some are kind of corny. :D

Music is totally different. Music lasts forever.

targetrasp said:
don't get me wrong, I can see a 13 year old combing flea markets, goodwills, and yardsales looking for the square Nintendo (or a tv that'll it'll look ok on for that matter) but clones and the virtual console will keep it alive. I was just in walmart and walked past a rack of Atari era clones (vcs, colecovision, etc) with some insane number of games loaded on to it, and next to that was the sega clone that has 80 games and will play most cartridges. theres a lot of (albeit cheap) stuff that'll play nes and snes cartridges available at a lot of online retailers. I think it'll live on, maybe not thrive but live none the less.
This is how it will happen with the clones. Some Grandparent (not knowing anything about gaming) will inadvertently purchase those things, thinking that they are getting something new for their grand-kids. The kid will think, "oh no" I wanted a PS4. But then as the kid begins to play, the discovery begins. ::D

retro junkie said:
I am not sure about movies. There are those movies from the 70's that hurt me to watch. I lived through that era. I had the hip hugger, bell bottom jeans. I had the hair. Now looking at those movies I cringe. I say to myself, "I looked like that?" Somebody should have helped the boy. And yet I have no problem with movies from the 40s through the 60s, even if some are kind of corny. :D

Lol, I hear you. But if you were to take a survey you'll probably have many people not even be able to name those golden age movies.

Music is totally different. Music lasts forever.
This is how it will happen with the clones. Some Grandparent (not knowing anything about gaming) will inadvertently purchase those things, thinking that they are getting something new for their grand-kids. The kid will think, "oh no" I wanted a PS4. But then as the kid begins to play, the discovery begins. ::D

I would still doubt that. Unless they specifically get a clone that has prebuilt games. If a game can't be found at gamestop then the console is practically worthless.

Hell, the fact that it's not a mobile game will most likely keep them from playing it. As much as I want to be optimistic, I just don't see it happening.

you just hit on what Nintendo's new market strategy should be. Screw consoles, the money is on ios and android. Take the virtual console to the tablets and BOOM Nintendo is number one again

You are probably right. You never see a small child and older with anything Nintendo any more. All you see is tablets.

My kids love the wii u and play it all the time and have at least tried a few of the virtual console games I've got on it but they're really picky when it comes to the wii u. they wont just play any garbage, it's gotta be something pretty awesome, on the other hand and piece of crap free game on the tablet they'll play for hours. I'd be willing to bet any of those games they glanced over on the virtual console they'd play for days on end if it was on their tablet.

Knock, Knock... Mr. Negativity here again. :lol

I still don't think Nintendo being on handhelds will result in them becoming number 1 again. The problem I see is that their games are still too complex for touch controls. They're about to release a brand new 3DS with even more buttons. The games just won't translate well. Maybe some simple NES games since those only really use the d-pad and 2 buttons, everything else will be unnecessarily complicated.

CreepinDeth said:
Knock, Knock... Mr. Negativity here again. :lol

I still don't think Nintendo being on handhelds will result in them becoming number 1 again. The problem I see is that their games are still too complex for touch controls. They're about to release a brand new 3DS with even more buttons. The games just won't translate well. Maybe some simple NES games since those only really use the d-pad and 2 buttons, everything else will be unnecessarily complicated.

On the flip side of that, the most exciting thing about the DS was the fact that it did have ABXY buttons instead of the GBA's two buttons. SNES ports to the GBA just did not translate well without the additional buttons, however, they translate pretty well to the 3DS.