Poll

Should we move neogeocd.net to a CMS system?

Yes
3 (60%)
No, leave as is
1 (20%)
no preference, both are good
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Should we move neogeocd.net to a CMS system?  (Read 15091 times)

Offline Bluevoodu

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Game Addiction: Video Game Retailers
Should we move neogeocd.net to a CMS system?
« on: June 15, 2005, 06:31:21 PM »
A content management system?
IE like I am doing with the Game Addict's section here:
www.egameaddiction.com/gameaddicts

Pleaase vote up!  We want to hear from you.

All existing content will stay, more will be added... and URL location (www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd) will be the same as well.

BV :hat
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 06:33:17 PM by Bluevoodu »

Offline Bluevoodu

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Should we move neogeocd.net to a CMS system?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 10:28:10 PM »
I would appreciate any opinions on this.... if you have a spare moment.

Offline kuk

• Protoss Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 02:05:56 AM »
Hello

personnaly I prefere http://Http://www.neogeocd.net, it's a better adress, and with it you have an identity

but i dont' know how you pay for it

Offline Bluevoodu

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 10:21:29 AM »
the address will stay www.neogeocd.net :)

In fact, if you go to www.neogeocd.net you automatically are directed to:
www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd

For editing, site designing..etc... I had to do it this way to save time, and some money when we transferred to the new server.

the content management system would be at: www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd
and www.neogeocd.net will still take you there :)
So nothing will change except the frontpage of the site.

Offline Bluevoodu

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 07:03:03 PM »
so, no opinions on this but KUK?

someone has to care.... neogeocd.net is getting many hits again per week.... and people cared about when we moved to this site.

Do people only care after we move or act? :lol

Offline Murray

• View Profile
    • Vinyl Fetish
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 02:19:40 PM »
I personally have no preference.  As long as the same information stays available, I say go for it.

Most of my CMS experience is with PostNuke but I've also worked on e107 and Mambo (like Game Addict is running, and I'm guessing that's what you're looking at).  Mambo is solid software and once it's up and running, it makes managing a large site much easier (as does CMS in general).

... and of course if running the site gets easier, that leaves you more time to focus on content. :)

Offline Bluevoodu

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 10:25:45 PM »
Good point :)

I am actually thinking of a couple different things. 

1.)  Make www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd on a cms system like the game addicts section.... BUT at the current neogeocd location.

2.)  Keep the www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd at the current location how it is... but link reviews, FAQ's, and codes from the CMS system at the Game Addict's section.  This would keep all reviews, codes, and faqs in 1 central location on the site FOR ALL sections (we are going to create a Nintendo and Sega section coming soon as well that will utilize the CMS system for reviews / faqs/ codes / news....  This will make a good amount of news for the CMS system, and a good amount of content there.... and it will be less confusing having 1 central hub for that information (IMO).

3.)  Leave everything as is.... except double up the information.  IE neogeocd.net reviews / faqs / reviews will be at the www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd section, BUT will also be posted in the CMS system at www.egameaddiction.com/gameaddicts

Do those options make sense?  Or am I confusing things?

And what do you think?

Offline Murray

• View Profile
    • Vinyl Fetish
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 02:08:01 PM »
#2 looks like the best option to me.

Pros:
 * The CMS is already installed and known running / stable ... one less thing to worry about.
 * One centralized location for everything, as you said.
 * Everything combined in one place will make the site in general look more active, which helps search engine ranking

Cons:
 * Maintaining a different "feel" for the neo section could be tricky or impossible.  Once you get off of the root www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd, the site will all pretty much look the same.

I don't know how important maintaining a seperate "identity" for neogeocd.net is to you, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

What I would NOT do is double up everything.  It may not seem like a big deal to do everything twice now but I can say from experience that doing something like that would get really tedious really quick.  Eventually one location (probably the non-CMS area) would get out of sync and become disused anyway.

Offline Bluevoodu

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 03:12:04 PM »
I do understand the identity thing.  I'd love to have it on its own site again... but you know, it just go to be way too much to keep care of... traffic was dwindling..etc

Ever since I moved it... 'traffic has been flowing through it again *at a pretty good rate*

Now.. the only things that WILL be on the CMS system are the reviews / FAQs / and codes.  The game pages and the rest of the content would be at /neogeocd.  THATS if we decide to do that.

The whole reason we moved the forum here was to have a better forum (combined with a larger forum and larger user base) and to try to regain interest in the Neo CD section from a larger site.  In all reality we lost a good amount of traffic before the move.  When neogeocd.net was just that (back in 2003) we were jumping.  We had over 100 hits per day.  The forums You can still see here (They were converted to SMF from the older YABB Gold system): http://www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd/forum/
The old YABB Gold started to slow up a bit after a certain amount of time.  It wasn't on a database, so it was less efficient.  But it did serve its purpose.  I couldn't get the boards merged... as with the posts, I would have edited ALL of the entries to the database to get it there.  I couldn't do that time wise.

But we had a lot of active members for awhile, but 3/4 sold off their collections, and the rest have basically left because of work / family responsbilities, problems, or whatever else.  Its cool just to have a few people posting in the section anymore :)  .. sounds somewhat desperate, eh? :lol

I am just trying to make the neogeocd section easier to maintain.... and more popular again.  I really think the CMS system is the way all of Game Addiction will go.... I am just testing it out right now with the Game Addicts.  I might try a few other types as well.

Its crazy... I know I have said it

Offline Bluevoodu

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 10:01:36 AM »
I;m hoping we can get some more opinions on this :)

Bv :hat

Offline Gamefan

• Protoss Zealot
    • View Profile
    • Game Addiction
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 04:27:18 PM »
I prefer option number 2 also.

Offline Bluevoodu

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 06:54:23 PM »
I prefer option number 2 also.
so you think it would be ok.... sending them to www.egameaddiction.com/gameaddicts for codes / reviews and what not?  They won't look the same (with the same colors and layout).

Bv :hat

Offline lesley

• Ultralisk
    • View Profile
    • Enter My Realm
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 10:01:46 AM »
Yea! Looks great.
#