Sega Genesis genesis > snes

As much as I love the Mega drive, saying that it has better games than the SF (Super Famciom) is unreasonable. The SF got over 70% of the market share then. Saying that the Megadrive is better is as good as saying SEGA developed and Published games (with few exceptions) are far superior than every other developer and publisher work put together at that time.

The fact that Nintendo alone put up a strong enough fight, even many prefer their line up over SEGA, is enough to invalidate this thread statement.
----------------------------------------
Gen 1. Magnavox Odyssey (For being the only one. the rest had games but were bulid-in)
Gen 2. Atari 2600 (approximately 500 games, that's as much as all games made for all console in that gen put togther, not to mention many were multi-platform)
Gen 3. Famicom (Enjoyed over 70% of the market share. Unless you prefer Atari or SEGA published games over all other publisher combined in that era.)
Gen 4. Super Famicom (Same ^^ as Famicom)
Gen 5. PlayStation ( And by far. PSX enjoyed 80% of the market share. Despite how much I loved the N64 and Saturn, PSX Approx 5,000 Vs 1,500 (including multi-platform titles) was an easy win)
Gen 6. PlayStation 2 (same as PSX)
Gen 7. Impossible to say
-360: Must multi-platform titles (Including PC and Console) and Best downloadable titles (Xbox Live).
-PS3: Best Exclusive titles.
-Wii: Best in Quantity and Ports.

No it's reasonable. Not saying superior. It's your opinion and I have mine.

Thus, Genesis > SNES in terms of Quality over Quantity. Hundreds of games ignored due to the overbearing and over hyped SNES that brainwashed an entire nation of children and teens. Nintendo already had a strong hold on the market and we blindly went with it. Just like Sony did with the PS2, which killed the Sega Dreamcast.

So, this is enough to invalidate your statement/opinion in this thread.

I am sorry. I respect your opinion and the MD does in fact have over hundred of great games (I can even name them one by one :D).

However saying the MD > SF is like saying SEGA published and developed games > every other publisher and developer work in that era which is unreasonable thing to say.

Japanese developers tend to pick one system and stick with it, while western developers tend to make their games on multiple platforms at lest that how it was then so there were always a system that gonna get must of the games while the other systems be limited with first party titles with few exceptions. So there was always a clear winner in term of quality and quantity.

Much like those kids and teen you mentioned ignored the less popular system despite the many "Gems" these systems has, you are ignoring the "Gems" available on those more popular systems. Because both the Super Famicom and the PlayStation 2 got their own share of "Gems" and let me tell it is a huge one!

Note: Please do not get this comment the wrong way I just wanted to illustrate and express my impression I do not mean to accuse. :)

I just have to stick my big foot in here. :lol
I love the SNES and love many of its games, but............ I would also have to go with the Genesis being the better, not technically superior, when it came to a better gaming experience. I just feel that the genny has tons more classic games than the SNES. Those games still stand the test of time, IMHO. And I still play both systems.

OMG I looked at my old post and I was like "Did I really post that?"

Ugh, my Nintendo fangirlism is a sad spectacle there.

I'd like to apologize now for my past self and say that I really think you can't go wrong with both systems. If asked to make a choice now I would be devastated and unable to do so.

GAMEBOY said:
I am sorry. I respect your opinion and the MD does in fact have over hundred of great games (I can even name them one by one :D).

However saying the MD > SF is like saying SEGA published and developed games > every other publisher and developer work in that era which is unreasonable thing to say.

Japanese developers tend to pick one system and stick with it, while western developers tend to make their games on multiple platforms at lest that how it was then so there were always a system that gonna get must of the games while the other systems be limited with first party titles with few exceptions. So there was always a clear winner in term of quality and quantity.

Much like those kids and teen you mentioned ignored the less popular system despite the many "Gems" these systems has, you are ignoring the "Gems" available on those more popular systems. Because both the Super Famicom and the PlayStation 2 got their own share of "Gems" and let me tell it is a huge one!

Note: Please do not get this comment the wrong way I just wanted to illustrate and express my impression I do not mean to accuse. :)

"Those kids and teens" I mentioned are you and me and the entire world. Actually when you say, "Gem" you make it sound like a few titles and then say the SFC and PS2 have more "Gems". My philosophy? There is NO SUCH THING AS A BAD SYSTEM. Every system has "GEMS".

I just got this feeling you are accusing. When you say " SEGA published and developed games > every other publisher and developer" Why such hatred for Sega? I'm talking about every publisher who makes games.

Anyone can see their is a winner and say SNES with ease. Also, I really think it depends on the region, the Japanese stick with one console they know sells quickly, BUT they stick with a console longer due to the cost of living. So an average Japanese consumer MUST make one decision and purchase just ONE system. SEGA SATURN comes to mind. Flopped in the USA, but adored in Japan even more so by a margin than the PS1 due to the MASSIVE library it had.

@Mai, you stay cool. Don't change. :D

Ok it is clear that there are misunderstanding between both parts. :lol

Just to clarify and end any ambiguity.

1. I LOVE must SEGA games when they were a first part publisher. I am surprised that you got the impression that I hate on SEGA especially after saying that I love over 100 SEGA games for the Mega Drive. :-\

2. When I say "Gems" I mean games that are good but not well known by the relevant sector of the public. It meant to give the impression of being hidden and that must people doesn't realize a game high value. They go by millions in number, I by no means tried to imply low or few amount of games".

I just got this feeling you are accusing. When you say " SEGA published and developed games > every other publisher and developer" Why such hatred for Sega? I'm talking about every publisher who makes games.
What publisher are you referring to? Konami, Square, Capcom, sunsoft, Atlus, Enix, Namco...(and the list goes on) all picked on one system and made almost all there games for, and in our case they picked the SFC much like they picked PS1 and PS2 later on and FC before it.

Maybe statistic would clear things up.
Mega Drive : 453
SFC : 1513

And sense you mentioned the Saturn.

Nintendo 64: 196
Saturn: 1062
PlayStaion: 3261

And if you actually dig through both system library one by one you can clearly see that one system get less games due to Jap developer focusing exclusively to one system over all the others. So again saying that MD > SFC or N64 > PSX is unreasonable unless you really do think that SEGA published and developed games for the Mega Drive or Nintendo published and developed games for the N64 alone are better than every publisher and developer work made in their respective era!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/comp_reviews.html

Note that these statics are for the Japanese releases. And GameFAQs database is very accurate regarding Home and Handheld Console games.

Sorry if my previous comments were not clear or were ambitious to you and sorry for not understanding your "Teens and Kids" comments in the beginning probably, but now I do (after you clarified it) and Think that it is totally irrelevant and brings up a completely different argument that both of us probably agree upon. :p :)

Alright let me try to mediate here because you guys are being too "serious business" about this.

I believe what Gameboy is saying is that because Japan's support was behind the Super Famicom, while the Mega Drive was mostly Sega, it's silly to say that the MD is superior to the SF because that would mean that you are saying that Sega's first party games are better than not only Nintendo's first party, but also all the third party games on the SF.

Now of course, taste in video games is subjective, so this may be true for some people. They may in fact find more enjoyment in the MD's game library than in the SF's game library.

On a statistical level, though, the numbers support the SF as the better seller.

I hope that clears it up a little bit.

Alright GameBoy, here's my final thoughts.

Saying that the Megadrive is better is as good as saying SEGA developed and Published games (with few exceptions) are far superior than every other developer and publisher work put together at that time.

That's a bit of a stretch. I wouldn't go that far. I'm really trying hard to find out where that ideal came from. But I'm fully respecting your statement.

The fact that Nintendo alone put up a strong enough fight

They didn't fight. They came in at the right time after the market crashed and nobody wanted to buy Video Games. So by designing the system in America to look like a VHS player and fool the American consumers by calling it an "ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM" instead of "COMPUTER" like it's Famicom brother. Plus creating educational games on the side like DK Jr. Math. It pleases the masses. However, they did something a bit more cruel in business tactics....and..

Actually the NES/Famicom had 90% of the Market not 70%. Nintendo was a tyrant and was pretty much a pimp, if you signed a contract with Nintendo back from 1985 until 1994. It stated you had to make games for THEM and NO ONE ELSE at their command. The 10% left over was shared among Atari, Mattel, and Sega during the late 80's and those three struggled and died horribly except for Sega. Companies like Atari were secretly making games and publishing them on the NES/Famicom with former Atari employees under the name TENGEN by porting many Sega arcade classics like After Burner, Shinobi, and Space Harrier. So how bad was the lovable NES when they treated everyone like garbage for years? They got revenge with the Wii. Capcom, Konami, and Square-Enix first games on the Nintendo Wii were garbage. (Elebits, FF Chocobo Dungeon, and Zack & Wiki) While the GameCube got the same treatment with back logged games like Resident Evil Rebirth (Which later was pushed onto the Wii for a quick buck)

Super Famicom/SNES era was dominating simply because of brand name loyalty. Said and done.

Playstation was easy to become popular due to the fact Sony did the one thing that no other company could do. Make video games TRENDY and COOL. It's like Star Wars Vs. Star Trek fans, we both know they are super nerds. However Star Wars gains the upper advantage because of MERCHANDISING and becoming well known "throughout the universe" so to speak which is what Sony does to their consumer by marketing the HELL out of their products. The strongest turning point of the 32-bit era? Who was going to please the American RPG craze by the masses? Saturn couldn't do it due to bad support in America and after Squaresoft split from Nintendo for pissing them off on their Final Fantasy 7 project. It was obvious and I will agree to that.

Sega did this with tons of commercials and their mascot, but due to Nintendo and their lovably loyalty factor. It was too late. Plus most owners of the NES were not ready to drop the cash for a Genesis when there was already a huge library as you stated before.

Playstation 2? Funny you mention that, I remember that year quite well. Everyone was throwing away their N64 during the release of Zelda Majora's Mask and Sega Dreamcast was bombing big time in America after Peter Moore left to work for Microsoft one week before the system launched. Everyone was SO determined that the PS2 was going to be HUGE! Sure they were right, but it was due to the fact it had a DVD player inside of it and back then in 2000 that was the cheapest means of owning one! Sony later tried this same stunt with the PS3's blu-ray but it didn't work! Why? Cause nobody was ready to jump into Blu-Ray yet! Why that's history repeating itself, now isn't it? Just like NES to the Genesis transition.

Every other publisher we can think of just plays favorites apparently from re-reading this entire thread. Is it their fault? Maybe. Maybe not. Who's to say? I think it's primarily due to the fact who plays ball and who's dishing out the right cash. A "I rub your back, you rub mine" and of course you and I both know in the Japanese business world, they are only obedient to those who treat them with the same respect.

I apologize for the impression I'm getting from you and now see you are a solid gamer at that. We both can sit here and tell which is better. Yet I will assure you that my intentions are based on the fact how much abuse some systems have received in the past and I will always stand by them. I do admit my favorite two systems are the Genesis and the NES/Famicom.

Finally, the numbers don't lie. Sure I hate them, but when you have variety you have a good audience.

Thanks Mai. That what I am saying. ;D

hmm maybe it need one more thing.
I believe what Gameboy is saying is that because Japan's support was behind the Super Famicom, while the Mega Drive was mostly Sega, it's silly to say that the MD is superior to the SF because that would mean that you are saying that Sega's first party games are better than not only Nintendo's first party, but also all the third party games on the SF.
Replace that with "4 gen games" as the SFC got almost all the third party support then. This is also part of the things I am saying. :p

Yeah I deleted it, did you read the new one? Plus, the only "level" I go to is the next...

nextlevel.jpg

ohh I just deleted mine now you sound silly. :p lol

Yes I just read the new one. Yeah system get to be popular and number one for multiple of reasons. And yes Nintendo were jerks back then with their policy. Just yesterday GameSpot talked about that in their "game history month". I recommend die hard gamers to check it out if they haven't already. interesting video.
http://www.gamespot.com/special_feature/game-history-month-2011/hardware/index.html?page=1

I know what you are saying it is unfair for perfectly good system to be totally ignored by consumer when they got hundred of interesting games to them. I know what you feel I remember I wanted more support for the Neo Geo Pocket as it had a lot of potential I really loved that system to bad it died quickly. :(

They got revenge with the Wii. Capcom, Konami, and Square-Enix first games on the Nintendo Wii were garbage. (Elebits, FF Chocobo Dungeon, and Zack & Wiki)
Hey I liked Chocobo Dungeon and Zack and Wiki is one of my all time favorite games. :(

Sorry that I got you over worked to write all that, I do think it is an interesting read thu. However I find it to be irrelevant or not the part I am arguing about but then again I made several irrelevant statements my self , come to think of it that probabaly what your responding to. lol sorry again. Still a good and interesting read. Was a nice debate. thanks Mega. :)

How is that not irrelevant and why do you keep saying that? I sound silly now? I don't think you have room to be saying that. :lol

Last month's GameSpot was better imho. The Dreamcast.

You liked the games. Yet my point is, why didn't those game companies release titles that continued a popular franchise instead of original works?

There are actually some really good books about the history of video games if you're interested in reading.

This one is my #1 recommendation, as it covers all the systems up until the PS2/GC/Xbox I believe.
book-TheUltimateHistoryOfVideoGames.jpg

This one is the one about Nintendo.
Book-GameOver.jpg

This is another good one.
Power%20up.jpg

I grew up with Nintendo consoles and didn't get my first Genesis til a few years ago but I gotta go with the Genesis. Love those Treasure games and the Sega CD add on :p

Correct me if I am wrong but in that era must publishers and developers decided to make their games for the Super Famciom. So statically wise the SFC enjoyed must games in that era while sadly publishers and developer generally ignored systems like the Mega Drive and PC Engine. So to say that the Mega Drive > Super Famicom you are either one of the three cases.

A. Actually do believe that SEGA published and developed games for MD are better than all other Publisher and developer work put together in that era which is unreasonable and you did need to be quite the SEGA fan to believe in that.

B. Had little experience with the Super Famicom huge library by limiting your decision with the few games you played and were released in your region. In that case I highly recommend playing more games especially sense SFC roms are easy to spot and download these days.

C. You base your decision on how much you prefer a game. To illustrate, let say MD got three games Person C likes, one of them got 10/10 while the other two got 7/10 and on the other hand SFC got nine games and all got 9/10 in such circumstance Person C would side with the MD since that one MD game got a higher score than all the other under his personal rating.

I believe C to be the must reasonable decision of them all but even that is hard to say because one preference is subject to change and I personally find it unfair to judge games like that.

May I add that finding both systems as equally good is also for the must part unreasonable because in that case you'll be stating that SEGA work alone are equally as good as everybody else work put together! :p

MegaDrive20XX said:
How is that not irrelevant and why do you keep saying that? I sound silly now? I don't think you have room to be saying that. :lol

Last month's GameSpot was better imho. The Dreamcast.

You liked the games. Yet my point is, why didn't those game companies release titles that continued a popular franchise instead of original works?
I did not call you silly as a person. please do not misinterpret my comment like that it is not nice. :(

GAMEBOY said:
May I add that finding both systems as equally good is also for the must part unreasonable because in that case you'll be stating that SEGA work alone are equally as good as everybody else work put together! :p

I'm going to have to disagree with your assertion that finding both systems equally good is unreasonable. I think it's unreasonable to expect anyone to have enough money or time to experience every game for both systems to make an "educated" decision on the matter.

Personally I'm basing my opinion on the fact that even though I have limited libraries for both the Genesis and the SNES, they were all really oustanding games, and I played both systems extensively.

Emulator and Roms are your friend. ;)

For me I played almost every signal game made for the Mega Drive, GameBoy and Gameboy color with that method. And boy I missed billions of gems. I am so happy now that I did such a research and toke a note on every game I played. Toke me months to finish but it was totally worth it. :D

If you stick with the games you know or had the chance to play as a kid you'll be missing many many great games, which is unfair to you as a gamer.

I noticed something while doing that research, I noticed that some years were far better than the others but to us and as kids we didn't notice nor did it matter to us. for every three or four months we used to buy one new release.
For an example let say in spring season five games got released and four were good, in that case we usually just pick one and forgot about the others. and later in the next season (summer) two games get released and none are good but we pick one anyway and completely forgot about the other three great games released in the preview season.

So yeah we used to end up owning equal amount of games for all systems and in the whole year despite the fact that certain years got more or better games than the other and that some system got more games than the other and so we ultimately end up missing huge amount of great games and waste money on some games that weren't worth it.

Ok see, but here's my issue with your idea. You spent months on researching it, but I personally don't have that kind of time due to work and having to sleep and other things. Besides that, I'd have to play all of them, including crappy ones. When I barely even finish good games these days, that seems like an incredible waste of time. I mean no offense by that, but I don't think I could put that much time into playing video games unless I was getting paid for it.