Neo Geo CD Official Fatal Fury Apreciation Thread

Status
Closed
Joined Jul 2004
976 Posts | 1+
USA
This thread is for the greatest gaming saga on the beloved Neo-Geo CD.

Fatal Fury..where to begin?

Whats more classic and inspiring than the tale of two brothers out to avenge their wrongfully killed father? And they take their best friend and fighting comrad Joe Higashi along for the ride...and Fighting games have not been the same since!

Fatal Fury was the first fighting game to have the dramatic storytelling features that would go on to become an SNK trademark. You could play as only 1 of 3 players, the now famous Bogard brothers, and Mr. Higashi. But each new stage unveiled a new and more powerful opponent while driving the story closer to the final confrontation with the king of Southtown Geese Howard.

The emotion and excitement I felt the first time I defeated Geese and sent him flying out the window to his doom..it was the first time a fighting game made me feel that way! You were sympathetic to the characters..they had a commen goal..it wasn't to be the best of the best...or win a competetion..no this was vengence plain and simple..to restore their father's honor.

As far as gameplay the game gave us our first taste of what would be to come, as the story and games progressed we were treated with one of the best sequels of the time..Fatal Fury 2.

Enter the mysterious and all powerful Wolfgang Krauser..A man so powerful he decides to seek out the one person who defeated Geese Howard for the sole purpose of having a worthy opponent after years of being almost god-like in his abilities!

Also many new characters entered the fray all with their own reasons for wanting to win the famed King of Fighters tournament. We met the beatiful Mai Shiranui, the raging demon Jubie, Mr. Justice himself Kim Kaphwan, and a host of other memorable characters.

After the defeat of Krauser we saw the storyline arc in a new direction in Fatal Fury 3, with the arrival of the Jin Twins to Southtown! They publicly offer up the scrolls of imortality to the winner of the fighting tournament they will sponser. And after their defeat at the hands of Terry bogard..the scrolls come up missing....

Enter the return of the once thought to be dead Geese Howard! Now with the powerful scrolls he seeks revenge! Enter Real Bout Fatal Fury...a game with so many new gameplay ideas it was crazy! But focusing on the dramatic story..we have Geese once again in power and controlling Southtown with immeasurable power thanks to the stolen scrolls. At the final confrontation between Terry and Geese..Terry blasted Geese out the window of his tower ironic as it was...but this time Geese does not fall! No..Terry grabs Geeses hand..showing his mercy and that he is not a killer like Geese..seeing this as a sign of dishonor Geese lets go and embraces his death as he falls to the road! This time Geese Howard was really dead..

And..so on goes the story through out several KOF games..and ultimatly winding down 10 years later with Garou and the introduction of Geese's son Rock Howard who was trained and raised by none other than Terry Bogard himself!

My point in all this rambling? Fatal Fury is the greatest story in SNK fighter history imho... Share in the joy and post up anything you like about the series..gameplay..story..characters..ect ;)

:lol

I have to be honest... I stopped liking the FF series.

BUT I love FFspecial.

That game was awesome. Great animation, characters, backgrounds, stages...etc... it was all done right.

Perfect IMO.

AND too boot... the CD version had a killer soundtrack. I do have the AES version though :lol
I never found a reason to get both.

†B†V† :hat

lol i do :D

The reason i love fatal fury has got to be the characters. It doesnt matter what series you compare it to....Fatal Fury's characters are incredibly well designed , and have SO much personality... (more than some people i know :lol)

FF 1 - Wild Ambition are all great games in their own right and deserve a place in gaming history

*Throws hat*

Kumavonmitsurugi said:
lol i do :D

The reason i love fatal fury has got to be the characters. It doesnt matter what series you compare it to....Fatal Fury's characters are incredibly well designed , and have SO much personality... (more than some people i know :lol)

FF 1 - Wild Ambition are all great games in their own right and deserve a place in gaming history

*Throws hat*

Yep yep..thast exactly right..best conceived characters and storylines in any fighter imho.

Helps alot that they all play great as well :D

Love the Fatal Fury series of games, esp RBS and FFS gonna get RB1 and FF3 soon (have FF3 on pc..but hate playing fighters on PC)

RB1 is a great game :)

FF3 is not too bad, but its not one of my favorite games at all.

Good choices though :)

BV :hat

I like the first Fatal fury more than the others, probably cos its the one i played most around the time of street fighter 2 era. What I like on cd tho is its quick loading and cd music.

Okay dumb question here. Does the characters for Fatal Fury on the Neo Geo CD have the same combo moves as the Fatal Fury on the NGPC, or they like comparing apples and oranges?? If they do, can anyone tell me how to execute them??

nah... they don't have the same moves :)

not a stupid question, but unfortunately, nope..

†B†V† :hat

Fatal Fury 3 is the most underrated game in the series.

"The Lone Wolves Are Back!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Kanji said:
Fatal Fury 3 is the most underrated game in the series.

"The Lone Wolves Are Back!!!!!!!!!!!!"
That and Double Dragon :lol

Fatal Fury 3 was a pretty good game... I just didn't like the black screens that showed before the match..etc.

Bv :hat

Hello

Me to i prefer the FF to KoF series, i play to Real Bout Fatal Fury Special and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2

People don't post much around here do they...

Me, I love the FF series, it was FF1 & 2 that got me into Neo Geo games in the first place. In my opinion hands down easily the best series on NG. Every game is worthy of a place in anyone's collection. Even FF3, which is horribly underated.

Now if only they could've been bothered to port Garou: MOTW to NGCD. Sure the load times would've been enormous but, like Last Blade 2, you know it would've been worth the wait. S'pose we'd have lost a bit of background detail, or a couple of frames of animation too but hey, they've done that before and it never ruined any of the games for me.

And FFSpecial... 1 of the greatest games of all time. For me that's when the series overtook Street Fighter. And in my humble opinion Capcom never never caught back up again. Not until Cap vs SNK 2 anyway but I don't think that one counts. ::)

Status
Closed