EGM's XBOX E3 Report Card

Joined Jun 2004
11K Posts | 0+
Georgia
Strengths:
-The most robust online network--now with content from former fence-sitter Electronic Arts
-A killer lineup of first-person shooters and role-playing games
-Continued strong support from third-party publishers

Weaknesses:
-Halo 2, Fable, Doom 3--all top-tier titles...from last year! Where are the surprises?
-The roster of big games starts to taper off once you get into early 2005
-Sony's PS2 price drop takes away XBOX's price advantage

Overall:
Xbox is set for its best fall yet based on Halo 2 alone. Still, despite its superior online service, Xbox can't match the breadth of the PS2's library.

Grade: B

-Halo 2, Fable, Doom 3--all top-tier titles...from last year! Where are the surprises?

That's what bothers me. Why did they knock XBOX for that reason when the same could be said of Sony?

Didn't we see Gran Turismo 4 and the PSP at last year's E3? Where's the surprises? ::)

EGM is a little biased. But it's still one of the better multiplatform magazines available, at least in the US. I hear the UK magazines are tons better though. I wish I could get my hands on one to compare.

Mai Valentine said:

That's what bothers me. Why did they knock XBOX for that reason when the same could be said of Sony?

Didn't we see Gran Turismo 4 and the PSP at last year's E3? Where's the surprises?  ::)

You're absolutely right about Gran Turismo 4 and it's a fair point.

However, the big difference is GT4 is the only title that was displayed (if it was - I can't remember) at E3 last year.

Sony *announced* the PSP last year. This year - they unveiled it. It's a big difference between showing off a new product and showcasing the same game that you were showcasing last year.

And Sony had alot more new titles to announce and show off than Microsoft did at E3 this year.

Yeah, Microsoft had a weak showing. I don't think they actually deserved a B. Maybe a B minus. I just thought that point they used was kind of silly. I would have knocked it for other things. Like...not having Halo 2 playable except behind closed doors for the media. :mad:

I agree MS had a weak showing - and I'm really not trying to troll either :-X

I think it was a fair point considering the number of games checked out at E3

There was even a Mark of Kri sequel announced (yeah a sequel) which I never thought would happen.

THAT was one of the big surprises for E3

What about the Tak sequel?  :eek: I didn't realize the first one did well enough to warrant a sequel. I never played the first one, though. Maybe it was a sleeper hit or something.

Like...not having Halo 2 playable except behind closed doors for the media.

I doubt the general public will have any Halo 2 playtime before its release  :mad:

I would do alot to be able to get the E3 single player demo......

One thing that gets me wondering though, will you be able to shake off the people that jack your vehicle, and somehow dodge the homing rockets?

trkorecky said:
One thing that gets me wondering though, will you be able to shake off the people that jack your vehicle, and somehow dodge the homing rockets?

No you can't shake off people. If you've seen the E3 2K4 videos, you pretty much just get kicked right off. No time to do anything. Maybe if you hop out at the right time, they'll stumble and fall off.

Dodging rockets probablly just involves putting something between you and the rocket.

Actually, in the one video in which there's gameplay in the city, and the Brute jumps on top of the Warthog, knocks out the passenger, then the driver, and then looks at MC, there's probably enough of a gap there to hit a button or something to knock him off.

Well, that is an AI in campaign mode. He didn't even steal the warthog. In multiplayer, I am 100% sure you can't shake someone off. Plus, that could have been scripted for the video anyway. Yes, I know covenant can knock you out of vehicles, but that may not have been implemented in E3 2K3

INFILTRATION! INFILTRATION! SECURITY BREACH!
THIS IS A CODE RED, LOCK EVERYTHING DOWN!

I really hope I wake up sane tomorrow.

woow this thread is funny...how has E3 not changed much since 2004...