Sega Genesis Genesis multitap questions.

Joined Apr 2005
18 Posts | 0+
Hi, I already posted these in the general forum, but it doesn't look like that gets many hits. Rather than repost it all here, I'll just give you the link. Please take a moment to check it out if you have/know anything about the Genesis multitaps, or any other system's multitap for that matter.

http://www.egameaddiction.com/forums/index.php?topic=2071.0

You can just post any answers in there, so people don't have to read 4 different threads to get what is going on. Thanks.

Let's see...the two I have commonly seen. The Sega brand and the EA Sports (The mini-4 which was included with a copy of Madden back in the day)

Either product works great, yet I like the Sega brand because it's more well thought out in appearence and can switch between 2-4 player mode with the flick of a switch

Ok, but does anyone know if there are any US games that make use of more than 5 controllers? Because if that is the case, I will have to find 2 multitaps eventually.

Mega Bomberman has 5 players
most later Sport releases (Madden 94-95) I think

Don't worry about buying two, because the Sega brand just hooks up to the 2nd controller port, making it 5 in total

Ok, thanks for the info. Anyone else second that? As in there is no US Sega Genesis game that uses more than 5 controllers?

Also, I forgot to mention up above, but I also have a question about the Saturn multitap. I know games like Saturn Bomberman can have up to 10 players. That means 2 multitaps and 10 controllers. But hooking up 2 multitaps will actually give you 12 ports total. Does anybody know if there are any US Saturn games that use the 11th or 12th slots?

12 players was never used...Bomberman was the only 10 player game on Saturn (Besides the hidden Duke Nukem 3D game, Panzer Zwei the tank battle game which I heard went up to 10 as well)

Word of advice, Saturn Bomberman in 10 players is hard to play due to the screen size...so I would normally only play it in 8 player mode when I had friends over

Ok, cool. Thanks again for the info. So it sounds like 5 controllers is the max on the Genesis, and 10 is the max on the Saturn. Anyone else want to confirm those numbers?

Hey :) welcome to the boards. I am not sure if anyone else welcomed you or not (although I am sure they did).

What are you collecting this info for? :) Just curious.. thats all.

†B†V† :hat

I'm collecting the info so I know how many items I need to buy. I working on a pretty substantial collection right now, and I really want to have every accessorie and controller. And I know you confirm it Mega, I was hopeing a few other people would as well ;)

Anyway I was talking with a friend last night who actually used to play Saturn a lot back in the day. He claims that he riembers playing a game that supported 16 players. I told him that using 2 multitaps only allows up to 12 players, but he says he though you could plug a third multitap into on of the other 2, and then put the extra controllers in that. He then also admitted that the number might have only been 12, but he couldnt riember exactly. But either way, 12 or 16, that is more than the 10 players you claim is the max. However, because he couldnt riember the name of the game, and he seemed so unsure of the number of players, I don't know what to say.

I've also got similar questions about the NES, SNES, and PS2 multitaps, which I put in their respective sub-forums, so if anyone knows anything about those, that would be great.

Thanks again for the help.

Woah, thats pretty crazy. How does that work? And by "hidden game" I assaume you mean it is a secret mini game that you can unlock?

Well, you need, Duke 3D, Quake, and the Saturn memory cartridge....once you save Duke and Quake on there...it'll be unlocked...pop in Duke 3D, and it should pop up. In genious little way on how they did this

Yea, that is pretty cool. I was actually more kinda wondering about the controller hookup. I would guess you plug in 2 multitaps, and then plug a third one in, probably either to the first port on the first one, or the last port on the second one? Or perhaps it doesn't matter which port? Either way that gives you 17 ports total, but I guess the game only uses 16. Sounds pretty crazy. Now I have to decide if it is worth getting a third multitap, and 16 controllers as opposed to 10.

MegaDrive20XX said:
Death Tank Zwei (the hidden game from Duke 3D) is the one that goes up to 16 players

Are you serious?!?

BTW.. this is a very cool topic!

BV :hat

Dead on, here's how to pull off this trick

To get this mini game, save to a memory Pack (Cartridge) with either Exhumed or Quake saved games. Plus make sure to have Duke Nukem on the memory cart too!

is the game any good?

IS this the only game with that many players?

That is crazy.. I never heard of this :)

†B†V† :hat