Mini-Review: The Wii BOSS accessory.

Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
Alright, here we have another Wii accessory mini-review. Yet, this particular assessor is geared towards the retro fans which surely gained my attention. Sure you have the classic controllers and such for Virtual Console games, yet what about the Wii Games that only require the Wii Remote by itself and must be held like an NES controller? Well fear not! This handy little device is affordable and easy to snap on/off. Simply called the WII B.O.S.S. (Big Over sized Super Shell!). These little guys have been hanging around GameStop and Amazon.com since the release of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. They are designed like NES Dogbone/SNES Controllers. They are comfortable and they don't make you feel awkward. I have large hands and I do admit that after playing Metroid Other M, I feel a slight cramp in my left hand. Well no longer! This lil "BOSS" device gives you the comfort and feel. The cost is roughly $5.99-$9.99, comes in 5 colors (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, & Pink).

BOSS1.jpg

As you can see there is a little bit of Wii Remote look to make sure you have the same button lay out and a sensor area so that it can read the sensor bar when needed. The D-pad and 1/2 Buttons are very responsive, since the D-pad is BIGGER than the original it'll make moving around a tad easier without slip. It will add a little weight to the controller, so it will feel the same weight as an Xbox 360 controller.

BOSS2.jpg

BOSS4.jpg

BOSS3.jpg

The red circle shown around this area is where you pull back to release it from it's case.
BOSS6.jpg

Is it worth it? Eh, only if you got big hands and can't stand the pain for retro old farts like myself. (Yet, thank goodness for Aleve!) I fully approve of the device!

Following games I have tested it on:
Muramasa The Demon Blade (Love it)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (PERFECT!)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Was made for it)
Metroid Other M (Super Metroid controls ftw)
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Hey it's Kirby, you can't go wrong)

VC Games I tested with it:
Super Mario Bros. (Solid)
Ys Book I & II TG16 (Eh it got confused when trying to move left or right, the character wanted to move up. Yet after spending more time with it by 3 minutes. The plastic molded into the d-pad to the movement I was trying to accomplish.)

BOSS5.jpg

Well the bottom line for retro namesake, this thing is totally "BOSS" dude. ^_^