Sega Genesis HAPPY 22nd BIRTHDAY SEGA GENESIS!! :D!! WOOT!! 8/14/89-8/14/11

Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
http://kotaku.com/5337569/happy-20th-sega-genesis

The Sega Genesis, hit North America on August 14th, 1989 in New York and Los Angeles only. It wasn't until August 28th, 1989 that it was released state wide. Due to a trademark dispute, the console that was known as the Mega Drive to the rest of the known world was rechristened, the new name evoking conflicting notions of biblical import and small, balding British musicians.

Where to begin? What to say? Sega's most and probably only successful console worldwide, next to the Sega Master System.

The games, the legacy, the commercials that were totally IN YOUR FACE with a bad attitude that took NO prisoners!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nsBoqJ6s8 <--- circa 1990

A marketing scheme, called "GENESIS DOES. WHAT NINTENDON'T." It caused 8-bit NES fans to leave their "old" ways behind and shouted at the world that it was truly, "THE LEADER OF THE 16-BIT REVOLUTION". Not to mention it was one of the first fastest gaming console on the planet with it's "BLAST PROCESSING" SPEED! Which makes Sonic the Hedgehog still insanely awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfs65N5lMGc&NR=1 <-- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 TV ad from November 1992.

I wanna know, you the readers and members of EGA can do me for, what your Genesis can do for you!

Tell me, shout at me, what the SEGA GENESIS legacy has done for you! I know everyone here has at least ONE fond sweet memory of the 16-bit monster! TELL ME WHAT IT IS AND SAY IT PROUD! We salute you today, Mr. Sega Genesis!

Don't have a Genesis? Don't worry! millions of re-releases of many classic were on PC, PS2, PSP, Xbox, 360, GameCube, GBA and PS3 on tons of compilation games! So do me a small favor, play some SEGA GENESIS not just for me, but to respect and honor!

Re: HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY SEGA GENESIS!! :D!! WOOT!! 8/14/89-8/14/09

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :rockin

This calls for cake... lots of cake...

no other props for the Genesis? :lol

†B†V† :hat

*sigh* I'll start..

Genesis.jpg

This was my first Genesis console bundle ever. Circa 1992. I was really excited about Sonic the Hedgehog at the time, I just received the SNES the previous Christmas year, plus Sonic 2 just arrived in stores during that November. So, Sonic craze sweeping the nation and a very young Mega was caught up in the hype.

Needless to say, my first Genesis was epic fail. I only rented games for it ever so often and only ended up having 4 games that were purchased for it during the 5 years of owning it. Which were Sonic 1, Batman Returns, Strider 2, and Sonic & Knuckles. Last game I rented for it, was Streets of Rage 2. So many hundreds of games ignored and abandoned, thanks to the Super Nintendo.

Fast forward, to 1998, I was a Junior in High School. I met one of my oldest friends for the first time; Matthew, he was big into gaming, loved the Sega Saturn, and fighting games especially. One evening when we were playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 on PS1, I turned my head and saw a Genesis game in the box that I've forgotten about. Only time I've read about it was the short lived Sega magazine, called "SEGA VISIONS". Which was beautifully designed magazine I will say! I digress, the name of the mysterious Genesis game was, "CastleVania: Bloodlines". I asked to play the game and after 20 minutes, I still couldn't believe this WAS a Sega Genesis game. I knew of a small video game store in the local mall that carried many retro games, namely tons of Genesis games. So I spent the Spring of 1999 discovering every Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X game I could get my hands on! I still get educated to this very day of lost or unheard of Genesis games. Frankly, it's never a dull moment when I find another goodie from not just Genesis, but the Sega Master System, Saturn, GameGear, Dreamcast, etc.

Now my name, MegaDrive20XX has Sega roots to it as well. My buddy from San Antonio, TX was originally named, "MegaDrive20XX" from another forum website before I came to EGA. He was a serious/hardcore collector of Japanese MegaDrive games. I was simply fascinated with the artwork and the style of the system's cartridges compared to our American. Now, after he gave up the name MegaDrive20XX, I asked him if I could use the name to carry on the legacy. He was flattered that someone else would carry it on, so I did. So where ever you are right now Mike. I owe you big time bro 8)

And that's what the Genesis/MegaDrive means to me on that special day :)

Hey! That looks just like my Genesis console! The Sega Genesis was the very first 16-bit gaming console that I purchased. Hellfire was the first game that I got for it. That and the Sonic pack-in kept me playing for a while. I had a bunch of Sega games before I finally broke down and got the "other" console. I just had to play Super Mario World. I still have it all. And I still pull everything out and get into it occasionally. The fun is still there.

Re: HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY SEGA GENESIS!! :D!! WOOT!! 8/14/89-8/14/09

Oops :'( I forgot about this one. He's 21 now. Legal drinkin' age! WOOT!

MegaDrive20XX said:
I just noticed something, my Genesis has High Definition Graphics writing on it. This one doesn't. Hmmm... different versions of model 1.

Hard to keep up with these release dates. Guess I've been celebrating with my Retrogen. :lol

21! :eek:
Hard to imagine.

retro junkie said:
I just noticed something, my Genesis has High Definition Graphics writing on it. This one doesn't. Hmmm... different versions of model 1.

Hard to keep up with these release dates. Guess I've been celebrating with my Retrogen. :lol

21! :eek:
Hard to imagine.

I believe I have one too. It was the Streets of Rage 2 bundle. I have to look for it first though to make sure.

CreepinDeth said:
I believe I have one too. It was the Streets of Rage 2 bundle. I have to look for it first though to make sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1aSQ0Xsdrs

Just for you Creepin' ;)

MegaDrive20XX said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1aSQ0Xsdrs

Just for you Creepin' ;)

Wow. That took me back. Sega commercials were awesome!

Re: HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY SEGA GENESIS!! :D!! WOOT!! 8/14/89-8/14/10

BIRTHDAY BUMP! :D Happy 22nd Birthday!

aaahhhh.............. I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and relive those days. They were such fun and exciting. Those were golden days. In many ways better than the present generation. And in a way, if it wasn't for those days there wouldn't be the generation of gaming we have now.
Happy Birthday!

Love my retro gaming! 8)

mzl.klwqhklw.320x480-75.jpg

Posting this picture seemed so much easier than baking a cake!

altered-beast-20090511035014248_640w.jpg

Ah, Sonic, Altered Beast, Columns... Such great games!