Great SNES RPGs

But consider this: If you purcase a Revolution, you can download older games for free and enjoy them at home. But what if you buy the Revolution and download the same games as ROMs for the PC, so you can enjoy playing them on your laptop when traveling? Some of us have a long way to work, and try to *ahem* do some work on a laptop. Or maybe you go on vacation and want to bring your favourite SNES Final Fantasy with you. (FF5 is the second best FF to date, even today.) Is that legal? I mean you do own a Revolution and can download the same games for it completely free of charge.

Or let's say you own a SNES, never got too bored with FF5 until one day the cartridge stopped working. Let's face it, you can't just drop your local game store and purchase a new one. You could try to get it from the internet, but it's hard work. You do own a SNES, and you do own FF5. Can you download a new copy from the internet, or do you have to pay for a new copy? :? Technically, it's illegal since you need a new license. It's the same way your office can purchase a single copy of MS Office and install it legally on fifty computers. All they need to buy is the licenses.
But if you do purchase MS Office private, it's your copy and you can do whatever the heck you want with it as long as you don't give it away, or alter it and resell it as your own work. (eg. you can't hack, change various things, call it MS My Office and tell people you made it.) Technically, with only once license, you can't install it on two computers in your own home if there is a risk both versions will be used the same time. However, you can install it on your own home computer and laptop and only use one copy at a time, as long as you know no one will use your home computer or laptop the same time as you.
Which brings us to ROM's. You can purchase a SNES game, use something to extract the game onto a computer and play it there - as long as no one uses the cartridge the same time. But with this in mind, is it really that illegal to skip all the hard work and download a new copy from the net? :?

I love working as a lawyer. Technically, you can get away with more or less anything if you have three basic "skills". You need to know how to "stretch" the law, a quick mind to always have a response ready, and guts to keep calm. ;)

Actually with any piece of software you can install it on more than one computer and use it at the same time, as long as you dont register it. Even then it wont keep you from using both at the same time. Which is why now companies are using activation keys rather than serial numbers so that the software wont work unless it has that one key. Meaning that the software can only run once at a time because you'll only recieve one key. And its a physical key not some number you enter on a prompt. You hook it up to your usb or firewire port. And its not illegal to have a copy of a game that you already own as long as you dont distribute it or sell it. But you must own the game. For me its much better to play on a tv rather than a pc. I like the controls much better on a console.

Same thing. It's all part of the copy protection, and copy protection is needed so people won't give away free programs and games to other people. But heck, if people didn't do bad things I'll be out of job soon. We don't want to happen, do we? ;)

Being a lawyer can be fun, but it's mostly tons of paperwork. Quite boring, really. But pays well.

1. Chrono Trigger

my first and favorite RPG ever. especially for the music.

2. Final Fantasy 6 (3 in US but I'm used to calling it 6)

I'm just finishing it actually. Can't wait to start 7. ::D

The great SNES RPG's are,

Bahamut Lagoon
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Final Fantasy III
Illusion of Gaia
Lagoon
Robotrek
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 3
Soulblazer
Super Mario RPG
The 7th Saga
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Twisted Tales of Spike McFang
Y's III: Wanderers from Y's

My favorite is FF III (I guess thats 6 in Japan, right?) and Mario RPG. I also liked 7th Saga, Terranigma, and Earthbound.

My favorite snes RPG (which also happens to be my favorite of all time) is Chrono Trigger. That game was an amazing piece of work. Does anybody here know that they were making a remake?

Another game I have been told is really good is Shin Megami Tensei. Personally, I've never played it, but the person who told me was pretty adamant about it.

pwcsquared said:
Does anybody here know that they were making a remake?

Yup, somebody even linked a video of some game footage. You should do a search. Too bad Square made the development team scrap it. It was coming out very nice.

Actualy, it wasn't Square that was doing the remake. That's why it was canceled in the first place. That sucks.

pwcsquared said:
Actualy, it wasn't Square that was doing the remake. That's why it was canceled in the first place. That sucks.

Thats what I said. Sorry I didnt make it clear enough. :D

Hi all, first post here, so please be gentle  :p A few years ago, when I was <ahem>, perusing snes games online, a site came up saying it's legal to download roms as long as you own an original of that game, otherwise you have to delete after 24 hours. Now the first part sounds legitimate enough, but what about the 24 hours thing? Any ideas?

Edit: Oh and, keeping to topic, Mana rocks, and I'd say maybe Shadowrun and BoF series.

I don't know about the 24 hour deal.... but I do know that we do not support roms here in any means.

I do know that you can have 1 backup of your game (or 1 backup each).... BUT.... If you are worried enough to back them up.... then I'd personally make more than 1 :lol

BV :hat

edge667 said:
Hi all, first post here, so please be gentle  :p A few years ago, when I was <ahem>, perusing snes games online, a site came up saying it's legal to download roms as long as you own an original of that game, otherwise you have to delete after 24 hours. Now the first part sounds legitimate enough, but what about the 24 hours thing? Any ideas?

Edit: Oh and, keeping to topic, Mana rocks, and I'd say maybe Shadowrun and BoF series.

Gee, way to welcome a new member BV. :p

Welcome to the site, edge. I hope you like it here. We're a friendly people so don't worry bout anything. :) Feel free to contact me, or any others here via PM if you need help with anything. :)