Old gamer, New to consoles.

Joined Feb 2005
2 Posts | 0+
Hi,

I've been playing PC games now for about 18 years, and before that it was C64 and Apple II games.

I am getting my first console, an X-box, and was wondering:

1. What 3 games should I get?
2. Should I get Xbox live? ( I play PC games (UT2004, AA, etc.) online now w/3Mb cable)
3. Should I get wireless controllers? (do they work as good as wired ones?)

Anything else would be helpful.
Thanks,
Alboho

Oh god...

Ok, 3 games.

Single Player: Ninja Gaiden
Fable
Halo

Multiplayer: Halo 2
Mechassult
Splinter Cell

And X-Box Live is a must in my opnion, you'll be missing out on some of the better things if you dont. And Wireless doesn't matter, just more money in my opnion...

I'd fully agree with Halo, Halo 2 and Fable.

Another game worth checking out is Panzer Dragoon Orta (if you like flying shooter games).

Orta was an amazing game, but I know it wasn't for everyone so I didn't put it. But it is in my top three.

Buy a PS2 or GC instead..they will not catch your house on fire or get corrupted Harddrives.

I have to answer them in a different order.

You should get XBOX Live.

If you get XBOX Live, get these games:

Halo
Halo 2
Burnout 3

If you don't get XBOX Live, Halo is a better single player game than Halo 2, and the multiplayer is about equal on both without being able to go on XBL.

So without XBL, I'd go with these three games:

Halo
Psi-Ops
Burnout 3
(or Fable, if you like rpgs).

As for wireless controllers, I don't think they are necessary. But if you go that route, splurge for quality and buy the Logitechs.

Thanks everyone!

I guess Halo 2 rocks. I'll be gettin it. and may Burnout 3.

Definitely getting X-Box Live. Is $49.95 a year about right?

Again thanks.

alboho

Good call, Mai...

Psi-Ops
Burnout 3

My roomie was addicted to Burnout 3 for a good long while. It's definitely one of the better racing games.

Somewhat related, Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City are available as a package for Xbox.

Psi-Ops is one that I've been meaning to rent/check out but haven't yet... It looks awesome and highly original though since you use telekinetic powers to kill enemies. Plus, it has Cold on the soundtrack.

Dr_Ackula said:
Buy a PS2 or GC instead..they will not catch your house on fire or get corrupted Harddrives.

Whoa, they did the recall. I'm sure that new models will have those problems fixed.

Dr_Ackula said:
That happens when you have owned 3 Xbox systems and they all died. Sorry bout that.

Maybe that's why it's so popular to mod the xboxes and toss a new drive in them from the outset. My roomie's xbox hasn't had a problem with the drive. He still needs to replace the power cable though since it is an older model.

Grindspine said:
Maybe that's why it's so popular to mod the xboxes and toss a new drive in them from the outset. My roomie's xbox hasn't had a problem with the drive. He still needs to replace the power cable though since it is an older model.

Yeah thats very true...but I feel like when you buy a console you shouldn't have to start modifiying its components..I feel like they should be made properly to start with.

Its true though that newer Xboxs do not have as many problems...but again...I feel that if I buy a system on launch day..or a year after launch...or even longer...(the times i bought my 3) then they should work as well as the latest model. If a company cannot make a consistently good console..then why rush it out..its clear to me that Microsoft needed about 2 more years in the development of Xbox to iron out the bugs..but they did the typical Microsoft thing to do...push a buggy, problematic product out to consumers and fix it later as problems arise...same thing they do with all their software.

The Xbox is not a piece of software than can be fixed with patches...its a console..its hardware...Microsoft should not have released the system until they had figured out how to make it work properly and not be a problematic console. Even if the newest Xbox models work 100% and never give any problems at all..I myself cannot personaly support them for the fact that as a consumer I was let down 3 times by their product. I shall not be buying anymore Microsoft consoles...and thats just the way I feel.

And as a result of that I cannot recommend to another consumer to buy their product either...
If that makes me biased..so be it...I just look at the facts and at my own personal experiences with the Xbox console and experiences members of my family have had with it as well.

If I bought 3 Fords and all three consistently gave me problems and broke down...I would become weary of their products, and would not tell others "yeah they are great..go buy one..mine never gave problems" Its the same difference here...I'm not sure if that makes me biased or just educated on the matter.

Yeah thats very true...but I feel like when you buy a console you shouldn't have to start modifiying its components..I feel like they should be made properly to start with.
I don't know what the hell you are doing to yours, but I've had mine sense it's came out and it works fine. It's seen a ton of mileage, and a lot of moving around for LAN party;s and such. Not one problum. I guess it can sense you hate it and it tries to kill itself.

LinkTriforceGC said:
I don't know what the hell you are doing to yours, but I've had mine sense it's came out and it works fine. It's seen a ton of mileage, and a lot of moving around for LAN party;s and such. Not one problum. I guess it can sense you hate it and it tries to kill itself.

Ironicly I was a huge fan of Xbox and supported it initially....until I kept having the problems. If it were one time..and just myself...It would have been an isolated event and I'd have thought nothing of it.

A brief list of things I have personaly experienced with three different Xbox consoles include...

- disc read errors that state brand new games and/or dvds were scratched or dirty...when in fact they were new
- many games freezing and locking up
- random reboot's
- custom soundtracks causing games to freeze as next song loads
- dvd's stuttering and freezing when they played fine on my other players
- green screen of death stating that the harddrive was corrupted..and the power light turned red to indicate this..after several reboots system worked for one more week

And I take very, VERY good care of my systems..I baby them honestly. I never leave them plugged in, keep them in their box when not in use, do not store them in confined spaces during play, nor on carpet. I have owned at the least 20 different systems and the only one that has ever posed any problems for me was the Xbox. Like I said..the new ones are supposed to be all fixed up, and I know not everyone has had problems...but I did, my brothers did, 3 guys I work with did, and countless people I am in contact with online did. So it is not an isolated occurance.

All I'm saying is that I myself do not care for the console, or for that matter the company that makes them. Thats my opinion based on personal experiences that are factual.

Fair enough, you've had bad experiences with the console.

From what you were saying about Microsoft releasing a product that works, you realize that it is the company that also releases Windows... Releases of Windows might as well be open betas with as many bugs as they have.

A hard drive burning out is understandable (I've heard of drive burnouts on Playstations as well). It is rather crappy that they skimped on the power calbes and it came back to bite them though.