Neo Geo Pocket Neo Geo Pocket Color Slim!!!

Joined Feb 2007
2K Posts | 0+
Kentucky, US
I never knew that they released a Neo Geo Pocket Slim until a few weeks ago. Just had to have it. ::) They released this shortly after the Original in Japan only.
NGPocket1.jpg

Had to get the Yellow Crystal when I saw it.
NGPocket3.jpg

Size is only slightly Slimmer than the Original.
NGPocket2.jpg

Same great game play.

This is now my main NG Pocket player. Being Retro has never been so much fun.

I've always wanted a neo pocket but the US games seemed so limited. They're so forgotten though I'd put one on display just so everyone that comes over can ask about it.

It doesn't have a very big library of games due to its very short lifespan as a console. What games that it does have are mostly portable translations of SNK fighting games. Unless you like those fighters you probably wouldn't want to invest in one. I initially got one for Metal Slugs. The system has two Metal Slug games, which, for me, made it worth owning. The system had such potential and was tanked due to SNK's monetary problems at the time. It made me mad back then because I went out and purchased the system and one Metal Slugs game. The following weeks it was pulled from the shelves and recalled back to Japan. I think it only lasted months in the US before it was pulled. It was several years later that I was able to get more games as it was repackaged and liquidated. Now I have almost all of the fighters, I think. I do have most of the games released for it.

edit: The animation in the games is so fluid, makes the games so much fun to play.

I was nuts about the 2d fighters when they were first released. Samurai Showdown was half the reason I bought an MVS arcade cab. At some point I got to where I just don't like the 2d (or 3d for that matter) fighters anymore. Recently on steam a mortal kombat game came out and I bought it but I've not even installed the thing. My interest is just elsewhere at the moment.

side note: Retro do you have steam, and if not why?

I have been looking at it. Have thought about it. I do have it bookmarked. The answer to the last question, there does not seem to be enough information concerning the games on the "about" page. And I have never played games on my computer. I never cared about using a keyboard for gaming. I am also not familiar with the titles listed there. And most of my gaming is "pick up and play" arcade type stuff. With that type gaming I can pick up and play 5mins or an hour.

xbox 360 controller works on every game I want to play (aside from stuff like Divinity Original Sin). As far as unfamiliar titles I just purchased the Double Dragon Trilogy, Final Fantasy 3, and FF7. Earlier I've gotten nice rehashes of retro classics like Ducktails (I honestly played this game until I beat it without stopping it was that awesome) Sega Genesis and Mega Drive Classics, METAL SLUG 3!!!, a new version of Gauntlet, Worms, Worms Armageddon, Wizardy 6, 7, and 8, Ys 1 and 2, and there's even Ikaruga.

I'm not a fan of not having a physical copy of the video game but the daily sales and the holiday sales cut prices so low that when a game I want goes on sale its usually under five dollars, and I don't mind not having a physical copy when the game is almost free!

steering back on track...........

There are starting to be some snk stuff.....

King of Fighters 98 is there as well as a steam edition (ask Grindspine about them, I think he's got them) and Metal Slug 3 and Metal Slug X and I really don't know much about it but there's two 1C collections that's SNK tagged as a publisher

CreepinDeth said:
^^

Was that post meant to be in the digital thread?
For some reason we seem to get off topic. :?

targetrasp said:
xbox 360 controller works on every game I want to play (aside from stuff like Divinity Original Sin). As far as unfamiliar titles I just purchased the Double Dragon Trilogy, Final Fantasy 3, and FF7. Earlier I've gotten nice rehashes of retro classics like Ducktails (I honestly played this game until I beat it without stopping it was that awesome) Sega Genesis and Mega Drive Classics, METAL SLUG 3!!!, a new version of Gauntlet, Worms, Worms Armageddon, Wizardy 6, 7, and 8, Ys 1 and 2, and there's even Ikaruga.

I'm not a fan of not having a physical copy of the video game but the daily sales and the holiday sales cut prices so low that when a game I want goes on sale its usually under five dollars, and I don't mind not having a physical copy when the game is almost free!

steering back on track...........

There are starting to be some snk stuff.....

King of Fighters 98 is there as well as a steam edition (ask Grindspine about them, I think he's got them) and Metal Slug 3 and Metal Slug X and I really don't know much about it but there's two 1C collections that's SNK tagged as a publisher

I use only Linux as an OS. There are not that many games available. I am very limited as to what I have to choose from. There seems to be about fifty titles.

retro junkie said:
I use only Linux as an OS. There are not that many games available. I am very limited as to what I have to choose from. There seems to be about fifty titles.

Stream has games in the hundreds and it's growing. Especially since they're creating their own OS based on Debian.

There's also GOG.com, which started to offer Linux games.

Also humble bundle. They were the first to really offer DRM-free games which includes the Linux platform.

If you actually do want to game on PC, I highly recommend those sites

No worries. Just doubled checking so it can be responded to properly. It's not like it will get lost in the massive amount of posts we're getting. :lol

Edit: actually I should apologize. I completely missed the party where you guys started talking about PC gaming. Whoops.

Not sure I want to get into PC gaming. The last time I used a computer for gaming, it was my Commodore 128D. (I remember those days of just typing in code, whew :rockin ) And that was when they were on the local store shelves! For me, the home consoles took its place in gaming. Really...... I consider my handhelds as my gaming medium. Home consoles are a distant second place, and PC gaming would just fall in there a bit farther down the road. Certain consoles seem to be favorites with me enough that they earn their place beside my handhelds. A couple of them are the PC Engine and the Neo Geo CD.
Too bad the Ouya is not equipped to run steam.

As flawed and meagerly supported as the Ouya is if you enjoy it I think steam would win you over, if not in its current state then very soon, where its heading. Its Big Picture Mode blurs the line between the pc and console look and the Linux based steam os seems solid and with the steam machine set to release this year (fingers crossed), well there's your console right there.

I was actually dragged kicking and screaming to the pc world of gaming. As my friends and I age some grew out of gaming others just "matured" into pc only. I'd always had pc for blizzard stuff but outside that I wanted a controller in my hand. I was forced to follow what few gamer friends that were left into their medium of choice or keep playing iterations of Call of Duty with a crowd closer to my daughter's age who's retort to everything is "your mom" and thinks everyone but themselves are homosexual. Its not a replacement, its kinda like that second pet that's so new he's getting the lion share of the attention.

....[all that after apologizing for veering off topic]