DRACULA X: Rondo of Blood is coming to Virtual Console North America in 2010

And after reading all this, I'm glad I don't know the Castlevania story. :)

Go in castle. Kill Dracula. Ta-da!

Strubes said:
And after reading all this, I'm glad I don't know the Castlevania story. :)

to the series' credit recently thee storylines have gotten better... but when it comes to old school castlevania games just go kill Dracula is enough for me to buy the game XD

Zidart said:
to the series' credit recently thee storylines have gotten better... but when it comes to old school castlevania games just go kill Dracula is enough for me to buy the game XD

Zidart said:

Castlevania: Simon Belmont uses his whip to kill Dracula and Dracula's cohorts.

II Simon's Quest: Upon defeating Dracula, Simon finds himself cursed. He is told while visiting his family graveyard that the curse cannot be lifted until he collects the pieces of Dracula's body, and takes them back to Castlevania.

III Dracula's Curse: Ironically, the second one is not named this. Trevor Belmont, grandfather of Simon Belmont, searches out Castlevania to defeat Dracula. Depending on the route taken, one of three spirits will join Trevor and offer their powers; Grant, the pirate; Sypha, the mage; or Alucard, the son of Dracula.

Super IV: This was roughly a Super Nintendo revamp of the original story; Simon goes to Castlevania to kill Dracula.

Dracula X: This watered-down American version of Rondo of Blood follows a similar storyline with fewer alternate paths. Richter Belmont finds his beloved kidnapped by the forces of Dracula. He grabs his Vampire Killer whip and searches for her captors. Along the way he can rescue Maria, who is not only his beloved's little sister, but has super-anime-magic powers!

Symphony of the Night: Years after Richter vanquished Dracula to rescue his beloved, Castlevania has risen once again. Alucard, who had fought alongside Trevor Belmont several generations before this time, seeks to defeat his father. In the castle, Alucard crosses paths with a now grown-up Maria who is searching for Richter. Without spoiling it for those who haven't played the game, when you think you've beaten the game, you're probably only half way through.

Bloodlines: John Morris, a descendent of the Belmont clan; and Eric Lecard, weilder of Longinus's spear (a.k.a. Alucard spear, spear of destiny, Ronginus's spear) hunt Dracula.

Portrait of Ruin: The church sends Jonathan Morris and Charlotte Aulin to investigate what is fabled to be Dracula's castle. John carries Vampire Killer, but is unable to use it as he is only loosely related to the Belmont family. Charlotte is a powerful mage, rumored to be decended from the same bloodline that Sypha was from. Once inside the castle, the two find that a powerful vampire (not Dracula) is lord of the castle along with his two vampire daughters. The plot unfolds to some family ties not mentioned in the series since Bloodlines.

Grindspine said:
Castlevania: Simon Belmont uses his whip to kill Dracula and Dracula's cohorts.

II Simon's Quest: Upon defeating Dracula, Simon finds himself cursed. He is told while visiting his family graveyard that the curse cannot be lifted until he collects the pieces of Dracula's body, and takes them back to Castlevania.

III Dracula's Curse: Ironically, the second one is not named this. Trevor Belmont, grandfather of Simon Belmont, searches out Castlevania to defeat Dracula. Depending on the route taken, one of three spirits will join Trevor and offer their powers; Grant, the pirate; Sypha, the mage; or Alucard, the son of Dracula.

Super IV: This was roughly a Super Nintendo revamp of the original story; Simon goes to Castlevania to kill Dracula.

Dracula X: This watered-down American version of Rondo of Blood follows a similar storyline with fewer alternate paths. Richter Belmont finds his beloved kidnapped by the forces of Dracula. He grabs his Vampire Killer whip and searches for her captors. Along the way he can rescue Maria, who is not only his beloved's little sister, but has super-anime-magic powers!

Symphony of the Night: Years after Richter vanquished Dracula to rescue his beloved, Castlevania has risen once again. Alucard, who had fought alongside Trevor Belmont several generations before this time, seeks to defeat his father. In the castle, Alucard crosses paths with a now grown-up Maria who is searching for Richter. Without spoiling it for those who haven't played the game, when you think you've beaten the game, you're probably only half way through.

Bloodlines: John Morris, a descendent of the Belmont clan; and Eric Lecard, weilder of Longinus's spear (a.k.a. Alucard spear, spear of destiny, Ronginus's spear) hunt Dracula.

Portrait of Ruin: The church sends Jonathan Morris and Charlotte Aulin to investigate what is fabled to be Dracula's castle. John carries Vampire Killer, but is unable to use it as he is only loosely related to the Belmont family. Charlotte is a powerful mage, rumored to be decended from the same bloodline that Sypha was from. Once inside the castle, the two find that a powerful vampire (not Dracula) is lord of the castle along with his two vampire daughters. The plot unfolds to some family ties not mentioned in the series since Bloodlines.

you actually did not mention the titles that i had in mind that to me had a good story.... Order of Ecclesia and the sorrow games XD and please do not spoil anything in those games for people who have not beaten them (though i have no clue if you were trying to support my point or deny it...)

Strubes said:

That's how I always played this game. It's fun enough to not have to follow the story if you happen to not pay attention, like myself. But it is a cool story nonetheless.

I have and enjoy Aria of Sorrow. I have Order of Ecclesia, but have not beaten it since my girlfriend kept hogging the DS Lite.

Those have good stories, but don't tie in the original Belmont line. There are a handful of other games I didn't mention (Vampire Killer, Kid Dracula, Castlevania Adventure, Belmont's Revenge, Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance). I haven't played through those as much and am not as familiar with their stories.

If you didn't buy this yet, I'm coming over to your house and hit you over the head with a TACK HAMMER..

Being that I didn't want to pay $120 for the game and $400 for the system I downloaded it recently. I haven't played it yet though.