The Official Wii U Thread.

Re: NEW Nintendo Console debuting at E3!!

CreepinDeth said:
You're more than welcome to enjoy the Wii, but the lack of 3rd party support really crippled it.

Agreed completely. I've never felt so bad about selling games to people when they bring up 95% of the Wii games in my store. I openly tell them that the game is NOT good, and ask them if they'd like to try the handful of Wii games that I, well, the mass public agree are worth their money.

Zidart said:
just because it STATISTICALLY had the worst library of the best selling consoles automatically makes it the worst library. and again metacritics usually just goes by what American reviewers (or in some cases UK/AU) say...

Numbers speak volumes and can be measured. You also can't start comparing other territories because we don't always see their releases and vice-versa. So I'm always speaking about North America specifically. If all territories were to get the exact same library, then maybe we can start using them to compare as well. But we don't so bringing them up isn't fair either.

Mai Valentine said:
That seems rather sudden. Didn't the Wii barely come out in 2006?

I wouldn't consider myself overly concerned with graphics, but it will be nice to have a system with more power.

What I'm the most concerned about, however, is their online interface. They need to have a better way of playing games online, something more similar to XBL or PSN.

i agree with the online part. and as far as the Wii debuting in 2006... Microsoft came out with Vista and then like two or three years later Windows 7 came out! so i don't know if this is a bad move.

I've been searching the net for Wii game reviews and it baffles me how one critic can give a game a 9.5 and the next one a 2.5. Can a game be that geared toward personal taste? Metacritic seems to give a diverse opinion on games. If Metacritic has only one opinion, I have to look elsewhere for some other viewpoints. I would rather have a gamers viewpoint rather than a gaming mag or site. And I'm willing to give a game a chance even if the opinion weights heavily against it. Personal taste can have a heavy influence on someones game review, it seems. When I read a review, I want to know why it is fun and if I want to come back again to relive the experience. Is the control tight, are the gaming elements working together, like graphics, music, gameplay, and story if needed, etc. Easy pick up or learning curve. I'm tired of reviews that are, "Hey this is great" or "I found it boring."

It does seem that the Wii library is missing something. (Third party creativity and support?) But on the other side of the coin the 360 and the PS3 has not done anything to turn my head. I came very close to skipping this generation of consoles and would have thought nothing of it or felt like I was missing anything. And I would have, if I hadn't ran across a used Wii at the right time when I had the cash in my pocket.

So far, I would have to compare the Wii to the other Nintendo consoles when it comes to its gaming library. I have to ask myself, are they holding the candle like they did with the NES, or SNES? That is the question that I am seeking to answer as I begin my Wii gaming and increasing its library. So far I have had my Wii a month, so maybe by the end of the Summer I will have my answer.

I can see why the Wii has sold so well. I think part of it is the fascination with the gameplay. The other, is the interaction with others that it creates. The multiplayer experience with other people in the room is basically where it excels. At least that is what I have experienced. There is so much potential in motion gaming and I do not think it has been fully explored.

Sorry for the long post. :eek: I did not realize what I was doing.

Please don't ever apologize for writing a long post. They are welcomed here. :)

On to metacritic, the reason it's used as a gauge is because it sets an average of the reviews a game gets. Not just from professional reviewers but from actual gamers as well. That's why there is always two scores. I think an average is a bit more closer to the truth than a single review from anyone, even from a gamer I know. It's definitely something that you should take with a grain of salt but at the same time it gives you an idea of what others think of a game. I only tend to look at metacritic after I finish a game to see what other people thought about it and if they had the same idea as I.

CreepinDeth said:

On to metacritic, the reason it's used as a gauge is because it sets an average of the reviews a game gets. Not just from professional reviewers but from actual gamers as well. That's why there is always two scores. I think an average is a bit more closer to the truth than a single review from anyone, even from a gamer I know. It's definitely something that you should take with a grain of salt but at the same time it gives you an idea of what others think of a game. I only tend to look at metacritic after I finish a game to see what other people thought about it and if they had the same idea as I.

I tend to do quite the opposite, but I mostly look at the scores and figure out why the game got the score that it did...

for example one of my favorite wii games is Fire emblem Radiant dawn with a metacritic score of 78. Most reviews hated how the games difficulty was excessively high to the point newcomers of the series would struggle to finish the entire campaign, in addition there was not a major graphic improvement from the previous title. Before buying the game I saw these flaws and even though it got a low score i realized that these flaws would not affect my enjoyment of the game, quite the opposite I was beginning to fear that nintendo was going to turn the series into something far easier.

I usually go by what the review says rather than the score, which is why i love gamespot's reviews and gametrailers, they spot on tell you the good and bad of a game in a nice outlined format and they are very strict about their scores. The irony of it all is that Gamestop usually gives low scores to the games I like while gametrailers usually gives high scores to the games I like.

I do apologize if I offended you in previous posts in this thread Creepin, is just a little frustrating to realize that there are very few people who share my rather peculiar taste in games. Quite honestly the reason why I have such a large library of wii games compared to PS3 is because it was my first console of this gen and I wanted to make the best of it instead of just complaining about lack of games.

Zidart said:
I do apologize if I offended you in previous posts in this thread Creepin, is just a little frustrating to realize that there are very few people who share my rather peculiar taste in games. Quite honestly the reason why I have such a large library of wii games compared to PS3 is because it was my first console of this gen and I wanted to make the best of it instead of just complaining about lack of games.

No worries. I wasn't offended at all. :)

I already knew that you would come in and defend the Wii. :D Like I mentioned before, you're more than welcome to enjoy the Wii. It's just that you're one of the few that truly enjoy it. It's ruled by a bunch of casual gamers who don't go beyond Wii Sports and Mario games. Which means that 3rd party support was not going to survive unless they made shovelware. Nintendo in a way cursed themselves by being too open to everyone.

I bought a Wii on release day with Zelda and after a few weeks, I knew immediately I wasn't going to like it and unfortunately my hunch was correct. So I sold it within 3 weeks. There's nothing really out there for me on the Wii. It may sound like complaining, but the reality is I can't force myself to like something. If it doesn't work for me, then it doesn't work for me. I'm glad you were able to get games out of it.

retro junkie said:
I can see why the Wii has sold so well. I think part of it is the fascination with the gameplay. The other, is the interaction with others that it creates. The multiplayer experience with other people in the room is basically where it excels. At least that is what I have experienced. There is so much potential in motion gaming and I do not think it has been fully explored.

The multiplayer experience is what killed it for me. What I mean by that is that most of the multiplayer games, with the exception of a few, are way too easy. I have friends who love the New Super Mario Bros. and they constantly play it. They play it because they aren't very skilled at games and Super Mario Bros. tends to have just the right amount difficulty for them. When I play it, I breeze through it and everyone just looks at me like I'm some kind of weirdo. That's why I prefer multiplayer games on the HD consoles. There's better competition.

Also, the Wii is just underpowered and that doesn't just mean the graphics aren't as nice. Extra power means better AI, destructable environments, better soundtracks, etc. The Wii can be fun, but the lack of power has kept developers from truly developing for it because the more powerful consoles allow for more freedom in creating their games. So the Wii is going to get skipped. Not to mention that the other consoles have superior motion controls now.

So all in all do you think this new console will most likely fix nintendo's issue?

Only time will tell. It really depends on what type of technology they go with. I think by releasing early though, they might fall into the same trap. By the time Sony and MS launch (which is supposedly 2014) developers might move on and forget about the Wii only after a couple of years. It's just my speculation though. I don't hate Nintendo, they just didn't have a product that was for me this time around.

CreepinDeth said:
Only time will tell. It really depends on what type of technology they go with. I think by releasing early though, they might fall into the same trap. By the time Sony and MS launch (which is supposedly 2014) developers might move on and forget about the Wii only after a couple of years. It's just my speculation though. I don't hate Nintendo, they just didn't have a product that was for me this time around.

I see. I do feel a bit weird about the different releases for the next gen consoles... And I wouldn't like nintendo to hurry up like they did with the 3DS (which is a fine piece of hardware is just that Its been used for only one game and a bunch of DS games). But I guess I could grab the whole "worst library ever" and turn it into something positive... i mean if the wii was the worst then I guess i can't possibly be disappointed with what comes next.

quite honestly It feels like I only adopt this attitude towards the wii but I pretty much apply it to basically anything that I enjoy that's niche. Is just that most of the time the discussions in this forum are more about console wars than say JRPGs vs WRPGS or anything like that...

but gosh I just wished that whenever I said "oh yeah I have a wii" people didn't default to thinking "oh do you have wii party/sports resort/mario party?" and didn't go "huh? what's that?" whenever I mentioned radiant dawn, Tales of symphonia 2 or muramasa the demon blade. I guess is just wishful thinking. So I am just shot at both sides by the hardcore community and the casual community... (if anything I am sounding like a hipster)

CreepinDeth said:

i am glad that long posts are welcome here! i am in a gaming clan and some get annoyed when there is a long post. glad that isn't the case here

Tank.of.AH said:
i am glad that long posts are welcome here! i am in a gaming clan and some get annoyed when there is a long post. glad that isn't the case here

EGA sometimes encourages long posts XD

CreepinDeth said:
Also, the Wii is just underpowered and that doesn't just mean the graphics aren't as nice. Extra power means better AI, destructable environments, better soundtracks, etc. The Wii can be fun, but the lack of power has kept developers from truly developing for it because the more powerful consoles allow for more freedom in creating their games. So the Wii is going to get skipped. Not to mention that the other consoles have superior motion controls now.
Would you say that some developers approach to the Wii can be compared to the avoidance that they exhibited toward the N64? With the N64 it was the cart storage problem and you are saying with the Wii it is an underpower thing. With the N64 they had a push for the "3D gaming thing" and with the Wii it is the "wave your controller" thing. The Wii game library is hardly as lean as the N64 was. As of the end of 2010 it stands around 968 games. I really don't know what percentage of that is shovelware. I do know that it is missing in some areas of its library content. It would seem that some developers took a "throw the dog a bone" approach. I am surprised that there never has been a Ridge Racer for the Wii, which would seem to be a natural.

The problem with a second Wii will be if Nintendo takes the same attitude toward system design by using old technology to create cost savings. The PS3 and the 360 are both 5 or 6 years old technology at this point and if Nintendo rolls out a system that has a better edge in power, they can still fall behind as the other two introduce their next big game machines. I really think that Nintendo will still seek to maintain that $250 price point because of their direction and market focus group that they have at the moment. If they aim for a higher price point, I think it will depend on the sales success of the 3DS, then again these are two different focus groups. At least I think it is.

Nintendo had a similar problem with the Gamecube as well. It was more powerful than the PS2, but because of the small discs, they couldn't do the games the same way as games that were on regular DVDs. Hence why some games had to be on two discs.

retro junkie said:
Would you say that some developers approach to the Wii can be compared to the avoidance that they exhibited toward the N64? With the N64 it was the cart storage problem and you are saying with the Wii it is an underpower thing.

It's similar and the N64 is where the trend started. Nintendo tries to be different and although they're still successful, they alienate at the same time. I mean, the Wii still uses proprietary discs. They're not even DVDs. Combine that with an underpowered system and developers are only going to want to port and tone down games rather than make unique, original games that take advantage of the hardware.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/25/nintendo-profits-fall-66-in-fiscal-year-3ds-sells-3-61-million/

Profit falls at 66% in the fiscal year and yes, this confirms the next console will launch in 2012.

Zidart said:
EGA sometimes encourages long posts XD

good to know, now i dont have to worry if it happens. im a writer and am working on a fictional fake wrestling book and can sometimes (thanks to the book writing) get lost in my writing and i go into a lot of detail and not always on purpose!

makes sense to me... Though honestly I don't play gamecube games as often as I used to....

I don't think that this is a good idea to make another new system. the original Wii doesn't have a ton of good games to begin with!!