Nintendo, I am disappointed.

Joined Jun 2004
11K Posts | 0+
Georgia
Kind of inspired by this thread, but hate is too strong a word. :lol

I'm sure as you all know that I've always been a big Nintendo fan. :p All these years I have defended them, but I keep seeing the same issues popping up and I'm a point where I feel like I understand why people have dogged on them for years.

Let's start with the Wii. Another console generation with retreads of old franchises.

Super Paper Mario
Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros Melee
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Metroid Prime 3/Metroid: Other M
Donkey Kong Country Returns

Did Nintendo introduce any new franchises this generation that appeal to non-casual gamers? I know they made Wii Sports and Wii Play and Wii Fit, but I'm talking about games that would be considered core games.

The Wii's big selling point to core gamers is its 1st party games, since 3rd party support seems to consist of shovelware and gimmicky motion control games that wouldn't fly on any other system.

And to be fair, Nintendo's first party games are still awesome. Mario Galaxy and Super Paper Mario are some of my favorites.

But I just can't game on that alone. This is part of the reason I don't have any plans on getting the Wii U.

The Wii and its library have been a disappointment to me, and so far I haven't seen anything from Nintendo to indicate that the Wii U will be different.

The whole situation with Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower is just a nail in the coffin. If Nintendo wants to prove to me that they indeed want my dollars, they should show it. Promote those games that aren't Mario/Zelda/Established Franchise and give me something that shows you're serious about wanting my support.

It just boggles my mind that Nintendo has already stopped supporting the Wii in favor of the Wii U. There's almost nothing coming out for the Wii except for Skyward Sword and Kirby. Meanwhile, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are still going strong.

Anyway, there's a lot more I want to say but I am having trouble articulating it. So in the meantime, give me some of your thoughts and maybe I'll figure out what I want to say. :lol

I completely understand all of your points and a part of me would agree 100% if it wasn't for the fact that I do enjoy the sequels a lot >_>... that's my guilty pleasure, i love sequels and with nintendo this generation every single one of those games you mentioned (except skyward sword because i have yet to play it) gave me that sense of joy, which is why no matter how much I get bashed, get called a fanboy and be looked down upon for liking my wii I will still defend my taste because I enjoy revisiting franchises, like fire emblem, dawn of the new world, silent hill. Heck I even got try new games like no more heroes, tasunoko vs capcom and muramasa.

to be honest I gotta be honest with myself and say that it has been a while since i touched my Wii (my 3DS/DS is another story)... but you see it is probably because of the reason you explained which is nintendo no longer supporting the wii anymore. Usually when I get a new wii game it gets my undivided attention until I 100% it and since there have yet to be new games out there I just have not played my wii as much and does really bug me.

But I do see a change with the Wii U and that is at the very least more 3rd party support, if anything i'll be ok with nintendo rehashing franchises as long as the Wii U receives that 3rd party support...

I do admit sometimes I wished I did not like the wii since it just brings me more trouble than it is worth...and even if I try to explain why I like it... It just never seems to come across well enough... that or I am genuinely mentally ill or something

Personally, I still love Nintendo handhelds and software, but there is always some detracting factor with every home console they make. This is the first gen where my issue was lack of software that interested me (as I thought the Gamecube did pretty well).

I do admit to having some hope for the Wii U given how the hardware is not going to be as limiting on the software as the Wii was. I've seen a lot of third parties that never bothered with Nintendo suddenly showing interest in the Wii U. Tecmo and Valve come to mind.

I guess it's just the fact that I see all of the consoles (and by all I actually mean the 360, PS3, and Wii U) currently being action and fps heavy, and honestly jrpgs are my favorite. It sucks that most consider the jrpg a dying genre. But between all the Wii fans who are campaigning for jrpgs and all the PS3 and 360 fans who have no reason to campaign because they can already get jrpgs, there's still a fanbase for them.

A dying genre in North America I would say, while it remains strong in Europe and Japan.

@Mai, after reading the Xenoblade article. I just love the fact that they rather rely on portables than their current gen system. Which was a big beef I had since 2D games were being thrown at portables (PSP & DS) instead of home consoles. This trend of relying on a portable to do the dirty work of providing you, the consumer, profitable JRPGs and other missing genres on a handheld could only lead to one factor in my mind. CHEAPER to mass produce than a big $59.99 title.

Over the coming years, it's been a SEQUEL HELL HOLE. Not just Wii, but even PS3 and 360. Yet, why do they continue so well than the Wii's sequel? Word of mouth. Every freakin' consumer has bad mouth the Wii so much that it's bounced back to these companies to pull back and focus on 360 and PS3 instead. When I hear, "We're listening to you!" That tells me, yes they are....the negative side. Not the positive side of what games you want to have. They rather appease the masses than the pure target audience such as ourselves. Is it really that bad, when I say that we maybe a dying breed? Where the games we love can't be brought over since we don't count as a larger percentage compared to say, the MADDEN or Call of Duty crowd? The numbers are scary and we are left in the cold in this industry as the consumer. However, the companies who are nice enough to publish and translate an JRPG suffer more since they are punished for not bringing in a solid profit which leads to layoffs to their company.

Which does bring up another thread that, YES we are screwed as a generation of gamers who have spent years of playing what we love. Yet, only to have the rug pulled from under us and saying "NO, you can't play that! It won't bring us profit!" I will flat out say it, I'm DONE with this and the next generation of gaming. I'm sticking with retro gaming! Nobody bothers me, nobody tells me what new DLC is coming out, no lines to wait for when a new shipment is coming, no crappy midnight launches with freaks licking the windows of GameStop or BestBuy. The future of gaming sucks to me. It's all Hollywood glamor and gimmicks with multi-million dollar productions that gives in so much hype without you feeling confident that you know your game is being released or pushed back on release date without warning.

Hell even back then we went through the same issues except, I remember when LUFIA was going to be released on the Genesis in 1993. It was delayed until December 1994 and then CANNED in June 1995. Which was the first time ever I had a sense of disappointment of a game being canned. A majority of the time, we never faced those problems. Games were released, a magazine would tell you it was going to be released, and it happened. Sometimes we forgot, like the Nintendo Power that has STAR FOX 2 SNES in it. There was no "BROWSE HISTORY" button. :lol If you lost that issue of Nintendo Power, then you forgot or a friend remembered! Your friend being the HISTORY of your brain (aka a Web Browser of 1993) :p

I disgress, Mai and Zi make superb points. What ways can we fix this or resolve this?

MegaDrive20XX said:
They rather appease the masses than the pure target audience such as ourselves. Is it really that bad, when I say that we maybe a dying breed? Where the games we love can't be brought over since we don't count as a larger percentage compared to say, the MADDEN or Call of Duty crowd? The numbers are scary and we are left in the cold in this industry as the consumer. However, the companies who are nice enough to publish and translate an JRPG suffer more since they are punished for not bringing in a solid profit which leads to layoffs to their company.

But that's not really even the case. There are some publishers, like Atlus, NIS, Xseed, for example, that have no problem publishing jrpgs that in most cases are niche even for the genre. Yet they are still around, so they can't be hurting that bad financially from doing so. Obviously I have no degree in business and I don't work there, but I want to know why a company like Nintendo, who practically prints money from games like Pokemon and whatnot, won't take a risk on a couple of games that fans are demanding and literally already put their money on the table for. Even if they lose money, which seems to be the case, publishing the games will get them good PR which will help them out in the long run, especially since they claim to be aiming the Wii U at core gamers.

And those publishers are like "Mysteries of the Universe" imho. Cause I have no idea how they stay in business for working as hard for the North American audience. I salute them proudly, but I have to know where they get the funding to solve this problem.

History does repeat itself. Nintendo has ALWAYS been hardheaded since the SNES days. Remember what happened when Sony came to the president of Nintendo? He dismissed their idea and Sony turned against them. Fast forward today, you see Nintendo only wants to stick to their guns so releasing another Smash Bros. and finally realizing Kid Icarus can make money is a slow but happy start. However, Metroid comes to mind on a series that many claim to be on the rocks.

Their PR must be as arrogant as Cammie Dunaway from E3 2009. Who rather talk about a SKI trip than taking Nintendo by the horns and delivering what you, the consumer, wants!

Plus, irrelevant but I thought I would love to point out this irony. Look at the name NINTENDO. A company who based the name of their products for gambling playing cards and it was once thought the name stood for, "Leave Luck in Heaven's Hands". How about Nintendo take this "gamble" and let these titles be released to the world and not just certain regions.

I loved the Cube, too! Really, it didn't have a uber huge library like PS2, but I liked that. It made it easier to get pretty much all the good games and not worry about missing out. As far as the Wii, bleh. I dunno what the hell happened there. The DS has such an amazing library of games and that was just as mainstream, if not more, than the Wii. I'm really on the fence with Nintendo right now so we'll have to see how the 3DS does in terms of games...

They don't need to cater to JRPG fans because there aren't that many to begin with here in North America. They've said it before and they'll say it again, Nintendo is now mainly focusing on bringing families and friends together. Meaning bringing over casual games that are easy to pick up and play, on top of their major franchises.

Atlus and the like mainly only do JRPG type of games, so what else are they going to release? I'm sure you're aware that many of their games aren't published in high numbers and usually fall into obscurity after their first run. That's not what Nintendo wants to do. They want to produce highly casual games so that they can make a lot of money.

They don't need good PR. The name alone sells to parents and casual gamers. These types of gamers will know what they're getting when they purchase a Nintendo system. Unfortunately, the gamers in the US don't want JRPGs or games that take hundreds of hours to complete. It's all about instant gratification in today's world.

I guess it is kinda sad that really only the big name JRPG's do well over here. People sure have missed out on some amazing games!

Creepin's right. The American market percentage beats us, which brings me back to the dying breed theory. What's a North American gamer to do!?

For the record, yeah GameCube was beautiful. That was a solid piece of hardware and I still feel it was the "Dreamcast 2" for continuing the Phantasy Star series and the Sonic series. It is designed the exact same way inside as well! :lol

x2 said:
People sure have missed out on some amazing games!

And I think that's where the blame has to go to. The people themselves who just aren't interested in these types of games. I'm sure Nintendo deserves some of the blame, but definitely not all of it. My biggest beef was that there wasn't a whole lot of hardcore games on the Wii, but it looks like they'll rectify that with the WiiU so the beef between me and them is temporarily squashed.

CreepinDeth said:
And I think that's where the blame has to go to. The people themselves who just aren't interested in these types of games. I'm sure Nintendo deserves some of the blame, but definitely not all of it. My biggest beef was that there wasn't a whole lot of hardcore games on the Wii, but it looks like they'll rectify that with the WiiU so the beef between me and then is temporarily squashed.

Honestly I blame the gaming media. Gaming mag's and websites have been perpetuating the situation for a while now. I can't really blame gamers because, well, if they simply don't know a game exists, how will they purchase it? If they open a mag or browse a website and all they ever see is the big name titles, that's what they will inevitably buy.

x2 said:
Honestly I blame the gaming media. Gaming mag's and websites have been perpetuating the situation for a while now. I can't really blame gamers because, well, if they simply don't know a game exists, how will they purchase it? If they open a mag or browse a website and all they ever see is the big name titles, that's what they will inevitably buy.

I don't, the gaming media already knows what the people want. I don't think there's some agenda about only showing westernized games. It's because they know that's what the public wants to see.

I blame Halo. Sure, it rejuvenated the console FPS but it destroyed any momentum that JRPGs had during the late '90's that began with FFVII and Xenogears. It's kind of like how Grunge killed hair metal in the early '90's.

CreepinDeth said:
I don't, the gaming media already knows what the people want. I don't think there's some agenda about only showing westernized games. It's because they know that's what the public wants to see.

I blame Halo. Sure, it rejuvenated the console FPS but it destroyed any momentum that JRPGs had during the late '90's that began with FFVII and Xenogears. It's kind of like how Grunge killed hair metal in the early '90's.

I guess my point wasn't clear enough. A lot of great games go unplayed because nobody knows about them. If gaming media put more attention on these games, they would be more popular. I don't blame them solely, but they sure haven't helped the situation.

I got you, but I still think they only go with the flow as opposed to setting the trends. I bet if they had a lot of JRPG coverage, they probably wouldn't be so popular. That's just my assumption though based on how little the North American market cares about JRPGs.

Lol but again, maybe they would care about them more if they were more popular? I mean, you know how people are, they wanna be playing the "in" game, the happening game, the game everybody is talking about. Because obviously people DO like JRPG's judging by how well the FF series sells, but a big part of that is it's popularity and how much coverage those games get by the mags and websites.

but they're not really popular. You can't really compare FF with traditional JRPGs anymore. They just aren't the same at this point in time. The reason FF sells well is because it's a holdover of the old days. It's the name that sells, no longer the content. FFXIII got a lot of flak and did not end up as popular as the other games (you can most likely find it in the bargain bin now), but people still bought it because it was another FF game. Not because it got a lot coverage.

Well, fair enough, I can't really argue that. However, I will stand firm on my statement that it's a shame some JRPG's were not pushed harder. Such as the tales series which were fresh and short enough that the general gaming population could have enjoyed them. I think a problem is that the old formula for JRPG's is just too crusty, so newer and fresher formulas need to be implemented to get a bigger following of gamers.

Well that's why gamers were pushing for Xenoblade. It's a jrpg that doesn't follow the stale jrpg formula. It also has a pretty high pedigree, as it is made by the makers of Xenogears. Unfortunately it looks like most American gamers are either going to have to mod their Wiis or import a PAL Wii with the game to get a chance to play it.

I guess since jrpgs are a dying breed I will end up buying whichever next-gen system is brave enough to still support them. :lol