Wifi device for the Wii?

Joined Jun 2005
7K Posts | 0+
Louisburg, NC, USA
Got my boy a Wii. I'd like to make my computer a wifi hot spot for the Wii. Or maybe I don't know what I am talking about and just need to run a cable to my modem.

Can anyone help?

Thing is I don't have any wifi goin' on. I'd like to know how I could set that up.

You need a wireless router. If you don't have one, you can get them at staples, best buy, even walmart. I use a pretty cheap one, $35. It'll do the job, though.
http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WGR614-Wireless-G-Router/dp/B00008SCFL/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324423122&sr=8-3

What ThravRande said.

First you need a router that can transmit a wireless signal. A router that sends out a B/G signal is going to work just fine. You'll see some that transmit an N signal, but that's only if you need higher speeds. The Wii doesn't accept the N signal so you'll be fine.

Once you have your router, you plug your modem to that. It's basically a splitter for your internet connection so that many devices can access it. You're going to want to follow the directions because you want to encrypt your signal so unknown people don't access your connection and get hacked.

Once it's all connected you go to your Wii settings and type in the information for your router. That's it really.

It might sound a bit complicated, but once you do it it's easy as pie. If you want more information, feel free to ask.

Dart said:
Thing is I don't have any wifi goin' on. I'd like to know how I could set that up.

Ah well you should've said that. :p Yeah it's not hard, go buy a router and just connect your modem to your router and you're good to go.

Thanks all. I'll get it probably Friday when I finish my Christmas shopping.