Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Topic

Joined May 2004
13K Posts | 1+
Indiana
I saw this article at IGN...
Source: http://cube.ign.com/articles/673/673312p1.html

Sakurai Elaborates on Smash Bros. Revolution
Details on a new Tokyo studio and a new partnership.
by Anoop Gantayat
December 2, 2005 - Following up on early revelations of his involvement with the project, independent developer Masahiro Sakurai has shared more comments with Japan's Weekly Famitsu on the status of Smash Bros. Revolution. As revealed to the magazine in mid November, Sakurai is directing the game, reprising his role from previous Smash Bros. titles.

Sakurai reveals that development on the project has just recently started. In fact, as of May 2005, the game's development staff consisted of exactly one person, Sakurai himself. As we shared in our previous story, Sakurai accepted a proposal by Nintendo president Satoru Iwata to direct the title following the surprise announcement of the its development at Nintendo's E3 press conference (it was a surprise to Sakurai more than anyone, as he hadn't heard of the project at the time).
Nintendo has enlisted some outside help for the development of Smash Bros. Revolution. "Shigeru Miyamoto introduced me to a 'particular company' that had just finished development of a major game," Sakurai reveals. The executives of this company didn't offer too much resistance in signing up when Sakurai spoke with them about the project.

While its name is still a secret, this company seems to have some experience with Smash Bros. -- playing it, at least. Sakurai makes mention of a GameCube controller that employees at the company were using. The analogue stick had faded away like an eraser, the result, according to the employees, of thousands of games of Smash Brothers DX (Sakurai checked their save game file and confirmed that they had indeed played a massive number of games).

Development on Smash Bros. Revolution won't be taking place at Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters. Instead, Nintendo had Sakurai, who resides in Tokyo, hunts for an Tokyo office to house the development staff. For this search, Sakurai enlisted the help of the head of Nintendo's Tokyo office and ended up choosing a location with good public transportation access. Sakurai then moved to a new place near the office so that he wouldn't have to worry about missing the last train home (trains in Tokyo stop running a bit past midnight). The new Nintendo office opened its doors at the beginning of October.

Sakurai expects a huge staff to eventually be in place at this office for the development of this Revolution update. "To make a Smash Bros. DX class game, you'd want at the least something on the scale of 50 people," he comments, adding that Nintendo will begin hiring employees for the new office via its website shortly.

The new studio hasn't started completely from scratch, though. Nintendo's HAL Lab development studio, Sakurai's former place of employ, has given Sakurai and his fledging crew full access to the development materials and tools from the development of the GameCube Smash Bros..

You might find it surprising that Nintendo would open a new office just for the development of one game. Sakurai doesn't seem as surprised, adding that the investment is an indication of how much is expected of the title. He also adds that a number of former Smash Brothers staff members reside in Tokyo and have joined up on the project's development, necessitating a Tokyo studio.

Sakurai will continue providing weekly updates on his work to Famitsu, in what appears to be a regular developer journal. We'll be sure and let you know if he shares any tasty new bits of info on Smash Bros. Revolution.

Post it up :) what do you all think?

†B†V† :hat

Re: New developer for Super Smash Bros Revolution?

Well, let's just hope the new developers do a good job, that's all.

Wow, Sakurai started developing it himself? Now that's dedication!

I think Super Smash Bros is gonna be a smash hit and a must own for the Revolution if production stays on task. :)

It sounds like they are really putting some effort into making this game.I can not wait to play it!

i hear it online yes?? :? so it has to be good :D

Super Smash Brothers Revolution

SSB is one of the greatest, most cherished series of all time.

Since it is almost a given that a Super Smash Bros. sequel will come out for the Rev, what would you like to see in it? I would like

-Less Pokemon, if any at all.
-No more clone characters. By that I mean characters who look different but have the same moves (Captain Falcon & Ganon, Fox and Falco, etc)
-More unique unlockables. Not just characters or levels, something cooler. Mini-games or soemthing of that sort maybe?
-A better singleplayer mode and more event matches. More like the adventure mode from SSBM.
-Lots more level interactivity.
-Online play

That's all I can think of for now...

Re: Super Smash Brothers Revolution

you covered basically everything I would like to see in the next SSB...more characters would be nice...also Mario,and Luigi should be able to go tanookie.

Ganandorf should totally have a sword. Especially that big 2 handed one he had in the Spaceworld 2000 demo.

And I agree, more unique characters would be a great thing. They can keep pikachu as the pokemon mascot, maybe mewtwo too cuz he was a unique character, but jigglypuff has got to go.

I'd say throw in some more villains. Sure it's great to have Ganandorf and Bowser, but what about the final bosses from DK and Kirby? Or even just some of the common henchmen of said bosses would be cool.

I don't know why, but I can't get away from the thought of a 3-D interactive lobby instead of menus.

Also, I really hope that they have the option to use the Gamecube controller setup for it...

I completely agree. I also have high hopes for this controller "shell" idea that keeps popping up, but I fear it was simply an idea put forth to ease the public's desire for a regular controller. Kind of like when Nintendo released the DS and said that it was not a successor to the GBA SP and that a true successor was on the way... and then that all kind of disappeared once the DS took off. Unless they were talking about the Micro...

Either way, I think this game would benefit from a standard controller.

Same here. But the thing I fear most is, Nintendo is going to want to prove the remote controller with its launch games and probablly more-so with its first party games. I would hate to see this series reputation ruined by something like that. Because, Nintendo or not, Super Smash Brothers is easily in my top 3 favorite console games.

I would like to see Nintendo at least provide the option for some games to use the shell idea instead of the remote, simply because some games would be more fun to play with it. I think the Rev controller doesn't have enough buttons for fighting games.

stealth toilet said:
I completely agree. I also have high hopes for this controller "shell" idea that keeps popping up, but I fear it was simply an idea put forth to ease the public's desire for a regular controller. Kind of like when Nintendo released the DS and said that it was not a successor to the GBA SP and that a true successor was on the way... and then that all kind of disappeared once the DS took off. Unless they were talking about the Micro...

Either way, I think this game would benefit from a standard controller.

Here's where I concur with you, doctor. I'm hoping for no drastic inclusion of Revolution Smash Bros. to utilize the controller. For mini games? Sure. For some single player elements? Fine.. but.. really, keep that thing far away from the versus. There's just no conceivable way they could work that magic. Even I don't think so.

Stick with Gamecube controller or shell. Keep core game mechanics, improve, take it online. I'd really even desire a Melee 1.5 over a new game. Add about 15-20 character, nix the clones with tweaked play styles, add more (all past) stages, more beautiful music, Sonic, yeah .

Smash Bros. Melee is a great game. Anyone live along the way from Florida to California? I'm driving out to E3 this year and I'd love to stop by and beat you in Smash Bros along the way. ;-)

Melee 1.5 would be perfect. I'm not sure about Sonic though, I think the fact the characers are all more or less Nintendo's keeps it unique.

Add about 15-20 character, nix the clones with tweaked play styles, add more (all past) stages, more beautiful music, Sonic, yeah .

Worst April Fool's joke... ever!

I think it was EGM or something, but some videogame magazine ran a story on the last two unlockable SSB:M characters, Sonic and Tails, and for a brief second I believed them. It was hard comin down from that high, I tell ya what... :lol

Those 2 empty spots would have been perfect for some uber-hard to get secret characters though.

Shoot, throw in Chris Redfield and Bomberman as well. :lol

No clue..Sartori will come back with the results. :)

Strubes said:
Shoot, throw in Chris Redfield and Bomberman as well.  :lol

No clue..Sartori will come back with the results.  :)

Will Sartori be back today?