My Custom "Portable" Joystick Project

Joined Sep 2006
23 Posts | 0+
Palm Beach
Here's some pictures of my Custom "Portable" Joystick Project

I designed and built this Joystick Top from scratch (40" x 22").
Including the custom 220+MB Photshop CS2 graphics (parts used from Samurai Shodown V),
and protected it with plexi-glass. And Yes!! I had to drill 20 holes in the plexi-glass
to allow the joystick and buttons to go through (not easy, when drilling through plexi).

attachment.php

The top easily detaches from the base (which hold the systems)
and can be easily transported to another location.
You only need to bring the joystick top to connect to a friends system!!

attachment.php

Here's a picture of the Top when "opened."
It contains an audio-video box that allows multiple systems to connect to the joysticks/buttons.
(The 2 cotter pins on either side of the audio-video box allows the top to disconnect from the base).

audio-video.jpg

In the background, I built and designed a custom cabinet that holds 300+ AES games!!

Here some close-up pictures of the "players."
Check-out the spacing between the buttons... zero-tolerance!!

player1.jpg

player2.jpg

The Portable Top can connect to any system with DB-15 and USB connections,
including Neo Geo AES, Hyper 64, MVS-Slot, Atomiswave, PS2, XBox, and future PS3!!

Re: 8man's Custom AES Joystick

Once again, it is a beautiful setup. Excelent job on the construction/ drilling of holes ;-)

Very nice job, but I am a little confused on the housing function. How much length does one get between the controller itself and the console? It might work really well for an MVS setup, but what about a home cart system? I know with my home cart system, I have extension cords for my old style sticks, and I sit on my recliner to play. Seems to me you would have to get pretty close to the TV to play or maybe I am missing something?

lesley said:
Very nice job, but I am a little confused on the housing function. How much length does one get between the controller itself and the console? It might work really well for an MVS setup, but what about a home cart system? I know with my home cart system, I have extension cords for my old style sticks, and I sit on my recliner to play. Seems to me you would have to get pretty close to the TV to play or maybe I am missing something?

All the consoles are inside the lower cabinet. (Neo Geo AES, MVS 6-Slot, Hyper 64, Atomiswave, and PS2)
I made a custom DB15 joystick cable that connects all the consoles directly to the joystick top.
(It's plug-and-play).

I used 16' Monster Video cables to connect the joystick cabinet to the TV.
The joystick cabinet can be moved 7 feet away from the TV,
which is more than enough room to play!!  (Arcades don't give you this much room.)
(The TV is actually sitting on top of my custom cabinet that is behind the joystick console.)

If you need more room to play, and it's nice to sit on your couch...
I also have (4) 10' joystick extension cables that can be plugged into the consoles,
so you can sit on your couch (over 20' away) and use your old style Neo controller.
(Each player connects two 10' joystick extension cables together, giving you 20' distance!)

Here's some picts of the consoles inside the lower cabinet.
(on pull-out shelves).

shelf1.jpg

shelf2.jpg

setup.jpg

(SG1 and SG2 are independent Super Guns that control the Atomiswave, Hyper64 and the MVS 6-Slot.
Also, when I remove the Atomiswave Shock Box games, then I have room for future systems! (PS3, Wii, etc.)

Here's a picture of the back of the joystick cabinet where the cables go out to the TV.

wires.jpg

(Gray = Power, Purple = Monster Video, Blue = Audio),

That is impressive.

Out of curiousity, why did you choose the arc button layout, rather than the Street Fighter 2 layout?

cdoty said:
That is impressive.
Out of curiousity, why did you choose the arc button layout, rather than the Street Fighter 2 layout?

I ran a bunch of tests with different button layouts, and my custom layout worked the BEST!
Your fingers match the "arc" of the buttons, making it easier to play.

PS3 60 GB system was added to the cabinet!

ps3shelf.jpg

Nice lookin Doc custom How about making another obscure character like Dr. Venom or that eskimo Kwinn?