Neo Geo CD CDZ-No loads here...

Joined Oct 2006
204 Posts | 0+
Gainesville, FL
I have been a member of the Neogeo community for a long time now, and I wish, wish someone would have informed me just how fast the CDZ loads. If you have your choice between a Toploader, frontloader, AES, arcade, or CDZ, it is just plain silly in my mind not to get a CDZ. There are no loads!. Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 which use to load forever, now loads in seconds. It is a joy, an absolute joy, to play. Take the fact that the games are really cheap, you can still buy them new!, and it comes with some of the best stereo and video the neo has to offer and I don't see how you can get better.

You may ask, but what about breaking down? Rare. And my friends, if it happens, it is well worth the risk. The money you will save NOT buy carts can be spent towards buying a new CD system if necessary, but that is a rare, rare occurence. The CDZ outshines all the others in graphics, sounds, and price (and now speed!) that you won't regret taking the chance.

I know for me its CDZ or no neo from now on.

lesley said:
I have been a member of the Neogeo community for a long time now, and I wish, wish someone would have informed me just how fast the CDZ loads. If you have your choice between a Toploader, frontloader, AES, arcade, or CDZ, it is just plain silly in my mind not to get a CDZ. There are no loads!. Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 which use to load forever, now loads in seconds. It is a joy, an absolute joy, to play. Take the fact that the games are really cheap, you can still buy them new!, and it comes with some of the best stereo and video the neo has to offer and I don't see how you can get better.

You may ask, but what about breaking down? Rare. And my friends, if it happens, it is well worth the risk. The money you will save NOT buy carts can be spent towards buying a new CD system if necessary, but that is a rare, rare occurence. The CDZ outshines all the others in graphics, sounds, and price (and now speed!) that you won't regret taking the chance.

That is wonderful to hear. 8)

lesley said:

I'm sure I could dig up an email from 2 years ago where I told ya so :lol :lol

that would be a rather funny "I told you so." :lol :)

It does load very nicely!  I know it has better ram and all... but with as fast as the loads go, it HAS to be reading the disc faster.  Many people say that it isn't reading the disc faster, it just utilizes the memory better and has more.

I still believe it does load faster from the CD reader. It does tend to fly. BTW... Lesley, that was going to be my CDZ :) I didn't have the cash to keep it at the time. I have some more important things that need to be covered.

BV :hat

ha, you probably could tell me I told you so a thousand times over. :lol Sorry you lost the CDZ man, but you know I appreciate it.

Bluevoodu said:
I'm sure I could dig up an email from 2 years ago where I told ya so :lol :lol

that would be a rather funny "I told you so." :lol :)

It does load very nicely!  I know it has better ram and all... but with as fast as the loads go, it HAS to be reading the disc faster.  Many people say that it isn't reading the disc faster, it just utilizes the memory better and has more.

I still believe it does load faster from the CD reader.  It does tend to fly.  BTW... Lesley, that was going to be my CDZ :)  I didn't have the cash to keep it at the time.  I have some more important things that need to be covered.

lesley said:
ha, you probably could tell me I told you so a thousand times over. :lol Sorry you lost the CDZ man, but you know I appreciate it.
lost? nah :) I'll always run across another ;)
but you can feel special because it was going to be mine :lol :lol j/k

I had a CDZ for a period of time, and I found it was worth the extra up front cash for the faster loading times. With the CDZ, you dont notice the load times.

AOF 3 used to run like a dream.

Kanji!  What's up man? Glad to see you back :)

And yes... the CDZ does fly. Nice system :)

†B†V† :hat

actually, i am looking for another one right now. ebay looks good, but the shipping from Japan sucks....

Bluevoodu said:
It does load very nicely! I know it has better ram and all... but with as fast as the loads go, it HAS to be reading the disc faster. Many people say that it isn't reading the disc faster, it just utilizes the memory better and has more.

Is it 'really' that noticably faster than a normal Neo Geo CD?

It could be reading the disk at the same speed, but the path between the CD and memory is faster.

A 1x drive can transfer .15 MB/s (or roughy 1Mbit per second). A 1x drive could fill all of the Neo Geo CD available memory (8.5 Mbits) in 8.5 seconds. This is the theoretical maximum, and the real time is probably somewhat higher, but it is no where near the load times seen on Neo Geo CD games. There has to be a slowdown somewhere, and it's more than likely the path from the CD read buffer to the ram. If you could observe the CD, I bet you would see that it's only reading a small percentage of the time.

I would bet that the 2x CD was used only because it was the type of CD being pushed by CD manufacturers.

Greetings, all!

I am desperately looking for a CDZ, myself. My searches online have turned up very little. Does anyone here know of a good place that I have perhaps not found?

CutChemist said:
Greetings, all!

I am desperately looking for a CDZ, myself. My searches online have turned up very little. Does anyone here know of a good place that I have perhaps not found?

Last I checked, BV had one for sale in his store. www.egameaddiction.com/store should have the details.