Why the Neo is the best system I have ever owned

Joined Oct 2006
204 Posts | 0+
Gainesville, FL
Since the first Nintendo came out, I have owned and sold just about every system that ever came out on the market. If I had not owned it, I made sure that I at least found someone who did, and played it at least once. But I have never found a system that consistently brings me as much joy as the Neogeo AES. I use to think that the price of the system, and the games were unreasonable. Considering my past experience with the industry, I thought, what could possibly be worth that much money? But when you can have unlimited enjoyment off of one game, is 300 dollars really that much money?

Fact: Neogeo AES consoles have been known to last 11 years
Fact: Newer consoles have been known to break down after 2.

Fact: Neogeo AES consoles have working memory card to this day (I own one)
Fact: PS1 and SNES memory goes bad in much less time.

Fact: The graphics on the Neogeo AES still rival some of the best 2d graphics of the PS2.
Fact: The PS2 still misses some of the framerates and has some loading times.

I realize, of course, that the PS2 has fixed some of these problems, and the Xbox does a damn fine job at emulation, I am just proving a point. That a console this old can still stand up to next gen competition! And in some ways do it better!

Add to that that I have been playing Samurai Shodown 2 and Magician Lord for over 2 years now, and that they NEVER, and I mean NEVER get old, and you have one of the best systems on the face of this planet.

lesley said:
Fact: Neogeo AES consoles have been known to last 11 years
Fact: Newer consoles have been known to break down after 2.

Fact: Neogeo AES consoles have working memory card to this day (I own one)
Fact: PS1 and SNES memory goes bad in much less time.

You're right...

I bought my Neo Geo AES Gold System and 2 memory cards back in 1992,
and they're still working after 14 years.

This is by far the BEST system that I've ever owned.
Not only has it lasted for 14+ years,
you still can't beat the arcade game play!

well... all my neo's and games are working great... but you'd think for $600 a system (well... mine was $549 w/ 2 games and 2 old style sticks new... US gold system) that it would be made well enough.

$150 per game as well.. they better not stop working :lol

I've had mine since 1992-93...  CD system since 1997.

It's definitely up there with the best systems ever made:  Original GBA, SNes, N64, gensis and a few others.

BV :hat

It's the first, if not the only system, to offer arcade quality games at home (compared to arcades of it's time).

The Saturn is probably close, but suffers from load times and less memory, compared to the STV.

I don't think the XBox 360 or PS3 offer the same quality as high end arcade machines today (Sega Lindburgh, etc.).

Even considering the high price the reliability is still impressive when compared to say the 360 etc. my 360 died for instance (warrantied though) however it seems all cd consoles are more unreliable than old cart systems never had a problem with a cart system that couldn't easily be fixed.