Who here actually owns a neo aes/cd/mvs?

Bluevoodu said:
welcome Neolord! :D

Its good to have you here :)
I hope you enjoy this site as well :D

†B†V† :hat

Thank you, Blue! I like what you have done to the place. :)

To add to the thread's discussion:

I used to own 3 Neo-Geo home cartridge systems, but in time I had to downsize my collection. Currently I own a U.S. Neo-Geo home cartridge system (modded) and a Neo-Geo Pocket. I plan on returning to the Neo-Geo CD community very shortly with an order I am placing through Blue's videogame store. Oh my good Lord, I can't wait to hear the music in RBFF! (drools) I long for thee!!!!

Ok... I feel better now.  ::D

I have a Japanese unmodded Neo-Geo Cd since one year early.

Fantastic console, great games...!

Fatal Fury is the best fighting saga I have ever played, even than Street Fighter.
Characters in every chapter are very playable at all.
Wolfgan Krauser stage in Fatal Fury 2 and Special is fantastic. And the music theme in it is chilling and the atmosphere that it provides is wonderful.

I´m not tired playing this saga after 12 years ... Hi sho ken!! ;)

Searching for a New Us Cd Version! :D

I think the Neogeo CD is far superior performance wise to the AES. I like the carts on the AES better and the system is far more portable and reliable (in my experience).

But seriously, the AES in not worth the price of the carts. Anything the AES can do graphically and gameplay wise, the SNES can do 100 times better.

I personally think the picture quality on the SNES is 100 times better than the picture quality on the AES.

winter said:
Anything the AES can do graphically and gameplay wise, the SNES can do 100 times better.

Oh? Then why are the sprites considerably smaller in the SNES version of Samurai Shodown? Art of Fighting really wasn't any better when you think about it. Games that were made for the SNES looked and played perfectly, but anything ported to the system -- especially when the Neo-Geo was concerned -- was hardly any good.

Gah! I'm in a bad mood tonight, can't you tell? I'm sorry if I came off as being rude...

Actually, you make a very viable point there. Samurai Shodown for either the Neogeo AES or the Neogeo CD are the best versions you can get.

If you like 2d fighting games, you cannot beat the Neo.

On a whole though, considering the widest range of genres, the SNES does beat the Neogeo graphically.

winter said:
Actually, you make a very viable point there. Samurai Shodown for either the Neogeo AES or the Neogeo CD are the best versions you can get.

If you like 2d fighting games, you cannot beat the Neo.

On a whole though, considering the widest range of genres, the SNES does beat the Neogeo graphically.

The SNES was capable of producing better screen resolutions after all. Games like Street Fighter II and Final Fight almost mirrored the arcade versions perfectly, especially when graphics were concerned.

I have a question: have you ever played Kabuki Klash or Last Blade on Neo-Geo? You haven't seen graphics until you have played those games. Since the Neo-Geo has large amounts of system memory, the system can produce graphics that can rival just about any system. The cartridges can hold massive amounts of data (800megs being the largest so far), which leaves room for additional detail like more on-screen colors, larger-than-life sprites, and multi-layered backgrounds. The old SNK had a knack for producing phenomenal games that really never should have appeared on the Neo. Come to think of it, play Art of Fighting 3 to understand my point. The animation is simply breath taking, and the graphics are absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. The Neo had plenty of potential, too bad Playmore came along and ruined everything. They lacked the employees and resources to develop games that rivaled SNK's past. If you would only venture into the world of Neo-Geo just a little bit more -- most of the games blow the SNES away (especially when graphics are concerned.). Garou: MOTW -- now that is another game worth playing, notto mention mind-blowing. Like Art of Fighting 3, Last Blade, Kabuki Klash, etc. -- it made you sit back and say, "I can't believe I am playing this on the Neo-Geo... I never knew the system was capable of so much."

Do yourself a favor and play AOF3 on the home cartridge system -- the Neo-Geo CD version has smaller sprites; the animation was also reduced to accommodate the Neo CD's system memory (which is less than the home cart system).

I am going to have to admit... there are a couple SNES games that do rival the Neo's.... UN Squadron to be exact.

BUT I will have to say (as well) the Neo could out perform the snes many times over.
It just has more power, memory..etc.. behind it. PLus the Neo games could hold a crap more than snes games... I think the largest snes game was 32megabits.... while the Neo's was 800+ megabits. Even the N64.... I don't think it made it over 512 Megabits.... which is odd to me.
They did a lot with that room on the N64.

I have played The Last Blade on NGCD. I loved that game until my NGCD died. For fighting games, the Neogeo had unbelievable graphics. Unfortunately, it just could never reproduce the same graphics on any other genre. That is where I think it had some limitation.

But, I have to also admit that SSII probably the only game I play anymore. The Neo never needed to produce tons of games. It only needed a few really exceptional titles. And as far as that goes, it excels graphically to this day.

NeoLord said:
Do yourself a favor and play AOF3 on the home cartridge system -- the Neo-Geo CD version has smaller sprites; the animation was also reduced to accommodate the Neo CD's system memory (which is less than the home cart system).

I actually love the AOF 3 on the Neo CD.

Now, I'll have to inspect the spects again, but I though for sure the Neo CD had the same amount of memory, EXCEPT it had more onboard memory that acted like a memory card.

winter said:

If that were true then why did every SNES port of Neo Geo games look and sound absolutly horrible? Think about it...have you ever played the SNES ports of the Fatal Fury games, or Art of Fighting..Samurai Showdown? They were butchered beyond belief. Because the SNES just didn't have the power to do what Neo Geo could.

The SNES had some very good graphics in certain games, thats a fact, but I don't think the best graphical game in the whole SNES library can hold a candle to Neo Geo's best games of the same time period. All you have to do is compare something like the Street Fighter series to almost any Neo Geo fighter of the same time period to see what I mean.

Now its true that Neo Geo did not have a huge variety in genres, but their fighting games, side scrollers, and shooters all were much better than any on the SNES system graphicly.

I suppose that is true overall. However, unless we are talking about fighting games, can you say that graphics between the Neogeo version of a game and the SNES version are really that astoundingly different? I mean, is Aero Fighters so drastically different? I don't know. I am curious myself.

I agree, the SNES version of Samurai Shodown is horrid. For fighting games, the Neogeo excels tremendously.

I have yet to play Aero Fighters 1... :(  I wanted it... found it new @ $60 but couldn't afford it.  Now I cannot find it.

Fighters.... best on the Neo.

BUT if you look at UN Squadron (a shooter)  I would say it easily rivals all of the Neo's shooters.

Viewpoint on the Neo was the best though... the other systems couldn't do that.
Pulstar.... has an easy edge over nearly all other 16bit shooters.

I would have to say 90% of the time, the Neo has the advantage.

I personally loved Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the Snes.... that game was just WELL done. Mortal Kombat 2 was superbly done as well. GREAT graphics...etc.

3 things

1. Nice site Blue...really well done and hats off to you :) ;D :D 8)

2. Neo Geo CD - JP Front, Top and CDZ

Neo Geo AES - US and JP

Neo Geo MVS - 1 slot, large and small, through a supergun.

3. I reckon the AES kicks the snes's behind. Case in point being that Metal Slug 3 (and 4/5??) has only fairly recently come out on the PS2..that's right the PS2....metal slug on the snes??? Not in my lifetime!

I just played UN squadron, and really Blue..I don't see it as being any better than any Neo shooter. I think Pulstar has it beat many times over graphicaly, and Ironclad too.

Maybe it gets wonderfully great after more stages...I only played through about 3 stages..but seriously I don't see anything special with that game. :-\

I just want to add to this thread, that I've gotten back into the AES scene now....for better or for worse heh. I just got a mega modded Jpn AES, with UniBios 2.0, led power light, s-vid, and stereo mods. The intense urge to own those big ol carts with their cool snap cases and art work, and play them on my TV instead of my old MVS..which I sold btw...got me back in the scene. Not to mention I recently got ahold of a lot of ca$h.

NeoLord said:
Oh? Then why are the sprites considerably smaller in the SNES version of Samurai Shodown? Art of Fighting really wasn't any better when you think about it. Games that were made for the SNES looked and played perfectly, but anything ported to the system -- especially when the Neo-Geo was concerned -- was hardly any good.

Gah! I'm in a bad mood tonight, can't you tell? I'm sorry if I came off as being rude...

Actually, I thought the SNES verison of Art of Fighting was a pretty good port. Sam Sho wasnt bad either.

In my opinion, the only drawback to the SNES versions was the poor sound as compared to the AES....

Dr_Ackula said:
I just played UN squadron, and really Blue..I don't see it as being any better than any Neo shooter. I think Pulstar has it beat many times over graphicaly, and Ironclad too.

Maybe it gets wonderfully great after more stages...I only played through about 3 stages..but seriously I don't see anything special with that game. :-\
seriously?

Man... that is one of the best made shooters.

The bosses.... buying new planes as you go along.  The nice arsenal of weapons.  The nicely designed stages.  How the crafts blow up... the music, sound, and graphics are all pretty good.  Especially the motion of how you fly... its not too fast, yet not too slow.  Its very hard to beat on the harder stages.

Pulstar has teh edge graphically.... but UN Squadron has it beat in many other ways.

What 3 stages did you pass?  The initial stages are ... well the 1st stage you have to play, but then you select either an air stage (to take out a stealth bomber), a sub stage, or an option of 2 other land stages (one that is in trees, or a desert stage).

its some seriously good stuff.

Pulstar, is my favorite Neo shooter... I believe.

I have the King of Monsters 1 Snes cart... and I can say that its not near as good as the Neo's version.

Bluevoodu said:
seriously?

Man... that is one of the best made shooters.

The bosses.... buying new planes as you go along. The nice arsenal of weapons. The nicely designed stages. How the crafts blow up... the music, sound, and graphics are all pretty good. Especially the motion of how you fly... its not too fast, yet not too slow. Its very hard to beat on the harder stages.

Pulstar has teh edge graphically.... but UN Squadron has it beat in many other ways.

What 3 stages did you pass? The initial stages are ... well the 1st stage you have to play, but then you select either an air stage (to take out a stealth bomber), a sub stage, or an option of 2 other land stages (one that is in trees, or a desert stage).

its some seriously good stuff.

Pulstar, is my favorite Neo shooter... I believe.

I have the King of Monsters 1 Snes cart... and I can say that its not near as good as the Neo's version.

Its not a bad game by any means..just not any better to me than any Neo shooter..at least not the best Neo shooters. I played through the initial stage, air stage, and desert stage. I'll play it more when I have time and give it another chance too.

And I too have king of monsters on SNES..and art of fighting, samurai shodown, fatal fury 1, 2, and special.
And none of them so much as even comes close to being a good port imho.