Neo Geo CD Want to buy a Neo Geo. (which one?)

The shipping on it is 90$? And it only comes with Power Spikes 2? I think you could probably do better. But, if the fact that it is a US console is worth that much to you. . .

Reading more in that one, it says if the bid gets over 100, the shipping is 100 too. I'll have to wait for another one to show up. Most of them are $90 on the shipping...

Perhaps there is just a drought of US sellers right now, but I normally see CD consoles on eBay for reasonable prices, with shipping prices that aren't verging on theft. Be patient, and I bet you can find an awesome package deal.

You settled on a Neo Geo CD? Excellent. Now just so you know, these babies aren't region locked so you can buy any foreign one and they should work fine. I know ebay seller hit-japan is an excellent seller based in sapporo. I once bought a Wonderswan from him for someting like $8 USD shipped. Plus he has dirt cheap NGCD games at very reasonable prices.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I wanted an NGCD system so bad that I bought a broken one from a domestic US seller called "Software Seconds" (sofsec2000). I think I paid $40 shipped for it. Now it didn't come with anything other than the unit itself since he listed it as broken. But I was able to fix it in practically no time. I have a thread on here that documents my findings.

Keep your eyes open and patience in check. you'll find what you are looking for.

Certain consoles better than others? http://nfggames.com/games/neorgb/

Does it apply to the Neo Geo CDs to?

I've never heard of such a thing. See the thing that this author is omitting is that the games/systems he/she is playing on are very different, possibly different territories. The japanese titles from the screen captures are a dead give away. Comparing the screen capture quality of essentially two different versions of the same game is just dumb. When games get ported from region to region, the software has minor tweak done to it for a number of reasons. Case in point, anything done by Working Designs.

First they will localize it by translating the texts usually rewriting it to make easier to read. (sometimes, but not always with NG titles...Samurai Shodown is a shining example of this.) Second they will fix minor bugs like flicker. Now it is possible in the realm of all things that they may have changed some of the graphics when they modify a title, which seems to be the case.

I'm not saying SNK is perfect, in fact, quite the opposite is true. It's not uncommon for most manufacturers to make a revision in their system, and yes, make an inferior version.

StylinProfilin said:

This does not apply to any of the Neo Geo CD units. At least I am not aware of any differences. You can use the Red, Yellow, and White RCA cable on the Neo Geo CD systems. It gives you a much better picture. On my top loader Neo Geo CD unit it even has a S-video out-put that gives an even better picture.

retro junkie said:
This does not apply to any of the Neo Geo CD units. At least I am not aware of any differences. You can use the Red, Yellow, and White RCA cable on the Neo Geo CD systems. It gives you a much better picture. On my top loader Neo Geo CD unit it even has a S-video out-put that gives an even better picture.

Where would I find one of these S-Video cables?

I want to start buying some Neo Geo CD games, but when I buy my console, i'm not sure if it's coming bundled with anything.

StylinProfilin said:

I want to start buying some Neo Geo CD games, but when I buy my console, i'm not sure if it's coming bundled with anything.

Not sure about the cable. My S-video cable came with an old VCR. I am sure you could find one in a place that sells video stuff. eBay has them.

StylinProfilin said:

Actually... the S-video on a Neo Geo CD is pretty darn good :) I think it is as good if not better than RGB output on a console.

can anyone confirm this? Back in the day I could've answered it for sure... but there has been debate that the on-board Neo Geo CD S-video is better than RGB.

And I don't know what neo CD games you are looking for, but I have a few left at my shop: www.egameaddiction.com/store

Most are new, but there are some used ones that are somewhat cheaper. I mostly deal in games that are complete and in very nice condition. I might have a few discount games left for cheap (not on cart).

†B†V† :hat

StylinProfilin said:

You can get an S-video cable from Radio Shack, and many other electronic stores.

ther are some that are more expensive and better quality...etc.
www.newegg.com should have s-video cables too.

With the S-Video cable, you will need stereo input cables (the red and white style cables) for the sound.

†B†V† :hat

W/ an S-Video cable, spending a few extra dollars is going to give you a substantially better image than heading over to Wal-Mart and grabbing the cheapest cable you can find.

S-Video is an analog standard, meaning that unlike a Digital cable, it is not an "all or nothing" standard. In an analog cable, a thicker gauge and higher end construction will give you an overall cleaner and crisper image than going for the cheapies you can get for a few bucks.

Digital on the other hand is a 1 to 1 style format. If you see the signal, thats it, no better or worse no matter how much you spend (this can be argued over and over, and I dont pretend to be the end all of the discussion, but ive worked in imaging for over six years, and when I buy a digital cable, I NEVER pay a premium for "branded (monster) cables)

But considering the amount of detail in Neo Geo games, and the huge sprites, playing w/ anything less than S-Video is just wrong!

hope that helps