NGP Discussion Thread

Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
Bizarre or a system that needs a backrub?

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/19/rumor-new-psp-uses-touch-sensitive-controls-on-the-back/

Re: Rumor: The next PSP uses touch-sensitive controls on the back.

Not sure, very unclear, how they intend to use something like this. All I can say is "AWKWARD." I can't imagine some type of control like this being useful except in some kind of massage parlor game. :lol Maybe there is a new Loco Roco in the works?

How do you use something like this with out the reflex of griping and squeezing?

edit: For training on using the new PSP, place one hand on you stomach and one on the top of your head. Now pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time. Switch, pat your stomach and rub your head at the same time. Repeat. ::D

Re: Rumor: The next PSP uses touch-sensitive controls on the back.

This is interesting to see, i'm going to miss smashing buttons when games are all touch screen.

According to an interview with Netherrealm Studios executive producer Shaun Himmerick conducted by Industry Gamers, not only does the PSP2 exist, but it's already in developers' hands. When asked about the possibility of the Mortal Kombat reboot heading to PSP or 3DS, Himmerick replied, "We're not launching day one on all consoles like that. We are looking at them; we have a PSP2 in the house and we're looking at the engine, like what can it support."

Wait -- the PSP2, you say? "PSP2 looks like it's a pretty powerful machine," Himmerick added, before saying that his studio doesn't have a 3DS just yet. Sony, as you might imagine, refused to comment.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/16/psp2-in-the-hands-of-mortal-kombat-devs/

Around the time of the Tokyo Game Show, Sony held a private meeting at its offices in Tokyo's Aoyama. The purpose was to show off the PSP2.

Several sources have confirmed to Kotaku that the PSP2 does have a previously rumored touch panel on the back of the hardware. The touch panel was described as looking like a big mouse trackpad. When Sony showed the PSP2, it did not provide concrete details regarding how the trackpad will be implemented in games and instead is leaving that to the discretion of game developers.

The screen itself is not only sharper than the current PSP's, but about an inch larger. The larger screen means that the PSP2 will be larger as well. In the private meetings, Sony is touting the screen as "HD".

A larger PSP should not be that big of an issue for Sony — especially in a mobile environment with large tablets like the iPad. It also shows that Sony realizes it is no longer simply competing with Nintendo, but also Apple.

It is unclear whether this is the same handheld described by the Wall Street Journal. According to the paper, Sony is working on a device that mixes a game player, an e-book reader and a netbook computer.

In late September, there were also reports that the PSP2 hardware was in the hands of "numerous" developers.

Currently, the PSP2's hardware is not finalized, and Sony is having problems balancing battery, power and heat. There are apparently overheating issues, but Sony is, of course, aiming to have those issues corrected by the time the hardware is publicly shown.

Sony set the PSP2's goals (what Sony wants it to do), but is still tinkering with the portable's innards. The PSP2's tech specs are expected to change, meaning that things like chip size and processor size are variable.

Sources tell Kotaku that the PSP2's release window is fall 2011. Sony is not yet talking openly about the PSP2.

http://kotaku.com/5672410/psp2-will-be-bigger-sport-dual-analog-sticks-and-a-touch-pad-and-be-out-fall-2011

Re: PSP 2 hits next fall.

All I can say is "Kaa...ching!" $$$$$
It looks like the next generation of portables are going to have an expensive price of admission. I'm thinking that the 3DS is at least going to be an easy $250. And with what Sony sounds like they have got churning in the oven, maybe priced a bit higher. Portables are really in the same class as the home consoles. Which pushes me farther into the realm of retro gaming. ::)

How I miss those days of inexpensive portable gaming. I will settle for a GB Pocket with the screen of a Pokemon Mini and the battery efficiency of a Neo Geo Pocket Color. Let the focus be on gameplay and I would be satisfied.

We need someone to make somekind of breakthrough in technology! :?

The Playstation Portable 2, rumored to have dual analog sticks, a bigger screen and touch controls, will also rival the Xbox 360 in processing power and ditch the UMD format, sources tell Kotaku.

Earlier this week multiple sources detailed meetings with Sony during the Tokyo Game Show about the long-rumored PSP2.

In those meetings about the portable, we were told, the device was shown to have a touch panel on the back of the system what looked like a mouse trackpad. The PSP2 also had dual analog sticks and a larger display which Sony touted as being "HD."

While the device was shown in two form-factors, one that looked like the PSPgo (seen above) and one that looked like the PSP, Sony told attendees that they have not yet settled on the final design for the system.

Since breaking the news earlier this week, a few more details have shaken loose about the device, which our sources have verified.

One of the key ones is that the PSP2 will not have a UMD drive. The UMD (Universal Media Disc) was launched in 2004 for use in the PSP. Initially, the format was used for movies, but slow sales of UMD films lead to studios dropping support for the format.

Sony's PSPgo is UMD-free version of the PSP, and sources tell Kotaku that the PSP2 will follow in the footsteps of that portable. Games will be stored on a Memory Stick, according to one source. Though we've also been told that Sony is still puzzling out what the final non-UMD storage solution will be for the PSP2.

We've also learned that the PSP2 will be a much more powerful gaming device with twice the RAM of the Xbox 360.

While we don't yet know all of the portable's system specifications, we have been told that the PSP2 will feature 1 GB of RAM. That's compared to the 64 MB of RAM the PSPgo and PSP 3000 have. Both of those portables use a MIPS R4000 CPU clocked at up to 333 MHz. By comparison the Xbox 360 has 512 MB of RAM and runs a 3.2 GHZ CPU.

The specs for the yet-to-be-released Nintendo 3DS haven't been officially detailed but we've heard it will be as powerful as the Nintendo Wii which features 64 MB of RAM, and a special processor clocked at 729 MHz.

It's starting to sound like someone at Sony is listening to the murmuring about the Playstation Portable and doing something to fix the issues some have with it. Dual analog sticks. No UMD. A bigger screen. More powerful tech. Touch controls. We're not hearing a single thing we don't like so far.

Bottom line NO UMD's and dual analog sticks! Having the games on a Memory Stick device is the best bet.

http://kotaku.com/5675525/psp2-will-ditch-the-umd-may-rival-xbox-360-in-horsepower

retro junkie said:
All I can say is "Kaa...ching!" $$$$$
It looks like the next generation of portables are going to have an expensive price of admission. I'm thinking that the 3DS is at least going to be an easy $250. And with what Sony sounds like they have got churning in the oven, maybe priced a bit higher. Portables are really in the same class as the home consoles. Which pushes me farther into the realm of retro gaming. ::)

How I miss those days of inexpensive portable gaming. I will settle for a GB Pocket with the screen of a Pokemon Mini and the battery efficiency of a Neo Geo Pocket Color. Let the focus be on gameplay and I would be satisfied.

We need someone to make somekind of breakthrough in technology! :?

I understand where you're coming from, but as a gamer, I want my handhelds to evolve too. I'm not really a casual gamer, so inexpensive, simple handheld games would not entice me. This is where the iPod comes in. This is where you're going to see inexpensive games that look decent. Granted, the iTouch or iPhone cost over $200, but the game prices range around the $5-$10 mark.

I personally can't wait for these next generation of handhelds.

CreepinDeth said:
I understand where you're coming from, but as a gamer, I want my handhelds to evolve too. I'm not really a casual gamer, so inexpensive, simple handheld games would not entice me. This is where the iPod comes in. This is where you're going to see inexpensive games that look decent. Granted, the iTouch or iPhone cost over $200, but the game prices range around the $5-$10 mark.

I personally can't wait for these next generation of handhelds.

Yeah, deep down I too like seeing how the portable scene is going to evolve with each successive generation. I just wish there was some sort of technological breakthrough that would lower the price of the systems. I love that $99 mark better than the $300 hefty price tag. That price seems to be where it is all heading. With the tight funds that I have, I have only been able to enter the present generation of portable gaming. That alone left me out of the game when it came to the consoles. It was either one or the other. And I have an obsession when it comes to portable gaming.

I do find it very fascinating that Sony and Nintendo seem to be headed in two different directions with their portable systems.

I cant wait, I will definitely be cautiously spending this upcoming spring and summer.

340x_psp2type.jpg

We have a logo people!

http://kotaku.com/5680137/well-somebody-has-seen-the-psp2

Um and just where in that article does it say that logo is even official. The EA guy says he cant speak about PSP2...

Starrynite said:
Um and just where in that article does it say that logo is even official. The EA guy says he cant speak about PSP2...

It says, "Hey, look at me" and "EA Can't keep a secret from the FBI"

So how's that SONY PS phone coming along? Oh wait...you crammed it into our PSP2. How lovely!

http://kotaku.com/5741331/psp2-will-have-3g-connectivity-and-a-very-fancy-screen

PSP2 maybbbbe?

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/26/reminder-sony-press-conference-tonight-at-1am-est/

Re: SONY CONFERENCE about the PSP tonight in Japan! (12am CT or 1am ET)

http://kotaku.com/5744297/live-from-sonys-tokyo-press-conference

Tune in to the LIVE BLOG :D

Dual analog sticks (yes sticks, not nubs), Touch screens and Touch pads, 3G Wifi and PS3 quality graphics. Bring it on Sony, give me more! 8)

166367_493176338385_541823385_6293219_6146629_n.jpg

Oh yeah and games? How about this for your PSP 2..

UNCHARTED, Little Big Planet, Resistance, Hot Shots Golf, Wipeout!

Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

OLED screen! Hell yeah! Preordering today if I could.

Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

5 Inch screen btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXoVDJWP12I&feature=player_embedded# Full 3D video