Bootup Error?

Status
Closed
Joined Jan 2010
4K Posts | 0+
Northern AL
Okay, my dad's PC is doing something funny. You power it on, and the HP <ESC> <F9> for setup etc. appears. But instead of loading the OS, it just stays on that screen. Anyone know what the problem is, and if replacing a certain part would fix it?

Also, the ESC, F9, F10, etc don't work on this screen either.

Nope. I think it's a problem with the Hard Drive, since the OS isn't even trying to start up.

That was like my first instinct thought was the HD, you have any spare ones you can swap out to check it?

Well, the computer is still under warranty. I don't want to void it by taking it apart. I'll send it in if it I can't fix it soon.

The fact that it's stuck on that initial splash screen means that it's not even getting past POST. My first suspicions would be the system board, memory, or the power supply. In that order. It's very unlikely that it's the hard drive as it's not even getting to the point of trying to load the O/S. However, I've seen drives cause the system to not get through post before, but it VERY rare.

It needs parts, you're going to have to send it in.

It randomly started working today. :?

Not complaining, but I'd like to know what the heck was wrong with it.

Well, being an HP it should have tests in the BIOS for the memory and the hard drive. I would start by running those.

It's an HP, that explains everything. :D

Sorry have had nothing but crap luck and service from HP. I don't recommend any of their products to anybody.

Lol, same here, but, my dad is cheap, got it for $400. It's garbage, really... but he only uses it for facebook. :p

Status
Closed