A Nintendo 2DS? Smart move?

Joined Feb 2007
2K Posts | 0+
Kentucky, US
So what's the deal with the 2DS? Is Nintendo trying to distance itself from the 3D gaming genre? (They did get sued over that issue with the 3D) Are they preparing us for the next Nintendo Portable? Will it be a tablet like system sort-of like the Wii-U controller? I am suspicious. And yeah I know it is for the kiddies, but still...........hmmm. ;) And we all know that the 2DS will sell like hotcakes due to concerned parents and the 3D thingy, not to mention the Pokemon games being released on the same day.
I know I will end up picking one of these up, just because I collect portables. I am wondering if this is the Gameboy Micro of this gaming generation. It was also marketed toward a specific people group. My only problem is that it does not fold. I'm a folder, and that is the one thing I love about the Nintendo portables.

If it wasn't coming out the same day as a killer app like Pokemon, I'd say it was a bad move. Consumers are already confused enough about the difference between the DS and the 3DS, and having something like the 2DS added to the mix just seems like it would be more confusing. But between Pokemon, the 2DS being cheaper, and Christmas right around the corner, the 2DS will probably do well enough in sales.

I personally do not plan on getting one, simply because I prefer the clamshell design of the 3DS XL I already own.

At that price point, it would be tempting to me. I really have not had much interest in the 3DS franchise due to a combination of the price point and the 3D features.

Granted, the 3D features are cool, but I hate holding the system so close to my face to get the 3D effect. It was uncomfortable enough that I pretty much dismissed the system.

I think that it is a move Nintendo should have done a long time ago. Afterall, they originally said that the DS was not going to replace the GameBoy systems, but it did. I still like my DS lite since it can play the old GBA games.

It'll make a great christmas present for my youngest and at that price I wont be so many when it breaks it with in the year.